$500 Agile vs 1.7K Kiesel?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I have an Agile LP copy, and it is a surprisingly good guitar. Not just a good used guitar I got for $300, but a good used guitar that plays as well as an honest to goodness real Gibby.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
I own both agiles and kiesels. Agiles are quite good for their pricepoint, as are Kiesels. That's where the similarities end imo.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I had several Agiles. Then I got into Schecters, that trumped them.

Then I got into japanese Jacksons, which trumped the Schecters.

Then I got into USA Jacksons, which trumped the MIJ Jackson.

Make your own conclusions.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
For me, the guitar buying thing has become a bit of an ethical question. Not just one of quality. Who is doing the best things for the industry, who is sourcing/using materials ethically, and who is paying their labor what they deserve. What working conditions are like. Etc. Generally if all those things are in order, quality is sort of already there. Kiesels are decent guitars. I've owned 4 and played 3 others. They play well, sound good, etc. Are they Suhr or Tom Anderson? No. Worth 1-2k? Absolutely. I wouldn't pay more than that for one considering I could get a Suhr for $2100 with a transferable lifetime warranty that is a better guitar, and John is very transparent about his operation. He also has WAY better customer service. Between the two the OP listed though, Kiesel.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a Kiesel on principle, but right off the bat US vs Indonesian country of orgin is a pretty big difference in terms of cost of labor, and something that rightly or wrongly a lot of people are willing to pay a premium for.

That said, I'd be looking at a used Ibanez Prestige if I were in your shoes, too.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Kiesel > Agile

The differences will mainly be in the fretwork and attention to small details. The Kiesel will most likely play way better than the agile out of the box, but that's the biggest difference really. You're mostly paying for the cost of American labor.

I'm not sure if I would agree with the statement that a Suhr is objectively better, both are really in the top tier of guitar makers. I've played Kiesel's and Suhr's and both guitars were flawless.

Though I know in the past there have been issues with them, but the vast majority of Kiesel customers are happy with their instruments.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Comparing two guitars with such different price points, should be done not with each other but against their individual price. Which one offers the best value-for-money percentage?
The Agiles have a good reputation but are not the guitar that you will show off to your friends or brag about. Then again, you do not need to sell a liver to buy and can be easily resold or returned (new purchase) if you do not like it. They are workhorses which stand well against others in their league, they also use Kahlers frequently so I am biased.:agreed:
The Kiesels are much more expensive but will definitely place your sound on a higher level and the craftmanship will be superior. Their quality control has been under scrutiny lately, as the company grows and negative feedback has come forward from some on their options. They seem like good guitars as well for their price league.
This is not a case of apples and oranges, more like apples and mangos, I guess.:lol:

TheShade0110

Reaction score
Comparing two guitars with such different price points, should be done not with each other but against their individual price. Which one offers the best value-for-money percentage?
The Agiles have a good reputation but are not the guitar that you will show off to your friends or brag about. Then again, you do not need to sell a liver to buy and can be easily resold or returned (new purchase) if you do not like it. They are workhorses which stand well against others in their league, they also use Kahlers frequently so I am biased.:agreed:
The Kiesels are much more expensive but will definitely place your sound on a higher level and the craftmanship will be superior. Their quality control has been under scrutiny lately, as the company grows and negative feedback has come forward from some on their options. They seem like good guitars as well for their price league.
This is not a case of apples and oranges, more like apples and mangos, I guess.:lol:

Diminishing returns for sound quality related to guitars, particularly the pickups that come stock, kick in a lot sooner than Kiesel price points.

trem licking

Reaction score
in my experience, Agile/rondomusic.com has stellar customer service if you are in the US. Kurt has always been prompt and kind in every inquiry and i have bought a few guitars from there. the guitars are awesome, if you get a good one... but you may have to return some here and there being that the customer is essentially the main QC.
I have not dealt with Kiesel personally, but you can take what you will from their customer service based on threads here. I've played a few carvins/Kiesels, and they are as good of quality as any other Japanese/US guitar maker.
I wouldn't hesitate to order from either, honestly. Kiesel will be better quality obviously, but Agiles can be quite good enough quality to be awesome at a low price.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Diminishing returns for sound quality related to guitars, particularly the pickups that come stock, kick in a lot sooner than Kiesel price points.

Kiesel prices are skyrocketing lately and you can score an Agile pretty cheaply. Just add some EMGs afterwards and you push the brakes on that matter to some extent. Are we comparing the overall money lost on resale or the percentage based on the original price?

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Kiesel prices are skyrocketing lately and you can score an Agile pretty cheaply. Just add some EMGs afterwards and you push the brakes on that matter to some extent. Are we comparing the overall money lost on resale or the percentage based on the original price?

that's also because california keeps instituting stupid taxes and such, forcing jeff to increase prices. i won't buy a new kiesel because of that now.