500$ for the new Ibanez XF350... Worth it?

• Thread starter MamoriNoTenshi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I played the Ibanez XH300 at GC a couple of weeks ago and I was not impressed with the guitar at all. It felt very cheap but sounded okay. GC was selling it for $550 but IMO, not worth the price.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
:hbang:I love radical designs like that! The old BC Rich's or today's, Steve Smyth signature 7-string Bich! More extreme models!

..who was that guitarist, from that 80's metal band 'Nitro' had four arms/necks... Gillette was the singer!

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
Its cool, picture probably doesn't do that finish justice. Its something out of the norm, and people here are clearly scared of change, even though this is a seven string board and at one time that was considered blasphemy.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Its specs are alright, but no matter how brutal you think it is.
Its not gonna get you laid. I saw a new one in tokyo for 300$, its so fugly
that when I 1st encountered it I thought it was fake. A xiphos is cheaper here than that, and will be kille-ah. Honestly we want whats best for you.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Its cool, picture probably doesn't do that finish justice. Its something out of the norm, and people here are clearly scared of change, even though this is a seven string board and at one time that was considered blasphemy.

You can think that people just don't like it because its "out of the norm" but you have no evidence to support that claim. Stylistically, there are shapes that are more universally appealing to human perception, this explains why certain shapes are more popular (among everything, not just guitar designs).

Personally, the design is ugly but that is my opinion forged by my own bias. I also feel that people that gravitate towards non-ergonomic, radical shapes do so as a clear attempt to be "different" and not necessarily because they would otherwise find the shape appealing. I have no evidence to support that; it too is an opinion formed by my own bias.

The difference between me saying that and you saying that "people here are scared of change" is that you are stating your opinion as fact.

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
Of course its an opinion. The shape is rather Radical and I have mixed feelings about it, however, it is supposed to be quite ergonomically friendly. I find that to be more important than looks. Having said that I like the XH300 Halberd just slightly more. None of it really matters though. I won't be able to pay any of these new models.

Reaction score
You can think that people just don't like it because its "out of the norm" but you have no evidence to support that claim. Stylistically, there are shapes that are more universally appealing to human perception, this explains why certain shapes are more popular (among everything, not just guitar designs).

Personally, the design is ugly but that is my opinion forged by my own bias. I also feel that people that gravitate towards non-ergonomic, radical shapes do so as a clear attempt to be "different" and not necessarily because they would otherwise find the shape appealing. I have no evidence to support that; it too is an opinion formed by my own bias.

The difference between me saying that and you saying that "people here are scared of change" is that you are stating your opinion as fact.

Well i like the shape, maybe because i'm younger than you and different. I've seen a lot of guitars that you guys may love but i don't find anything nice in those guitars. And getting a weird, radical shaped guitar it's because of the taste of the owner and not to attempt to be "different" (Depends on the person obviously). Even if the owner wants to be "different" it's just a simple choice that will not harm anyone, right? Because everyone lives their lifes as they want. Being different is a choice, trying to be different to get more attention is stupid. Btw.. No one is normal so... Everyone will have different tastes. I just love spiky shaped guitars lol. ANd sorry if my english sucks... Is not easy to learn a new language :rolleyes:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
..who was that guitarist, from that 80's metal band 'Nitro' had four arms/necks... Gillette was the singer!

Michael Angelo Batio.

I love wacky shaped guitars. I have no interest in a $500 cheapo though. I wish Ibanez would release at least some of their metal shapes in a High-end. I'd kill for a Japan Xiphos.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Played this guitar the other day, and unfortunately I wasn't impressed as well.
Didn't feel like it was worth 550$ and personally I'd say the Xiphos was better besides the weight issue.

If I were going to get a shape like that I'd just get the Xiphos or the 27 Fret version Xiphos.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Extreme guitar shapes are incredibly hard to pull off properly.

In my personal opinion, only BC Rich (including people like Neal Moser who as an independent contractor with the company designed the Virgin/Scythe or even Rick Derringer who designed the Stealth) has accomplished it. If you ask me, not even Bernie Rico Jr can match BC Rich in this respect.

Shapes like the Warlock, Bich, Ignitor, Beast etc have been around for decades now, and they'll be around for even longer. This is my entirely biased (not to mention, subjective) view.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Its specs are alright, but no matter how brutal you think it is.
Its not gonna get you laid. I saw a new one in tokyo for 300$, its so fugly
that when I 1st encountered it I thought it was fake. A xiphos is cheaper here than that, and will be kille-ah. Honestly we want whats best for you.

Personally, what is best for someone is what THEY want not us(Forum members). If he likes it enough then he will get it.
Not my cup of tea but I do at least know that it is his choice not ours. Try to find a better deal though. $500 is a little steep for that.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Personally, what is best for someone is what THEY want not us(Forum members). If he likes it enough then he will get it.
Not my cup of tea but I do at least know that it is his choice not ours. Try to find a better deal though. $500 is a little steep for that.

Haha, do you actually think that I was pressing my opinion against him? Lol, this is forum, only people who want to take my opinion will, and those who don`t will simply not. No one here is anyone`s boss, and if someone so readily just accepts what we tell them, then they have no will. :ugh:

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
Michael Angelo Batio.

I love wacky shaped guitars. I have no interest in a $500 cheapo though. I wish Ibanez would release at least some of their metal shapes in a High-end. I'd kill for a Japan Xiphos.

Thanks for that! Being a flamboyant individual, with too much ego, I am bound by law to the radical & extreme. Probably why I chose guitar over saxophone, years ago! As I've gotten older, there has grown an appreciation for the more understated!

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
I think it's one of those guitars that look better angled on a person then they do in a flat photoshoot,

The design is somewhat growing on me, but until they finally stop teasing people and make on with 7 strings and neckthrough, ibanez won't be getting my money :fawk:

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
08.png

07.png

Pictured: 13 year olds, apparently.

Back OT: From what I've heard of the new X models, the active pickups sound surprisingly good for the price Ibanez are offering with the guitar. Much more better than the stock pickups on the lower end Xiphos 300 series. But all that depends on whether you're gonna change the pickups anyway. As for the shape, it's apparently quite an ergonomic and comfy shape to play. As for controls, the layout is similar to an RGD, which can be good depending on your style.

Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experiences as these won't be out in Australia until Feb 2012.

Terrible, terrible argument.

It's pictured FOR 13 year old boys. So those 13 year old boys buy them.
What do toy companies when advertising to their target age market? They get a child slightly older than the target market so that the child "looks up" to the kid playing with it.

James and Mohammed cannot buy enough guitars to justify a purchase order. If you paid me enough money to do a photoshoot for a product that increases my brand value for relatively small backlash, I'd have no problem doing it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Terrible, terrible argument.

It's pictured FOR 13 year old boys. So those 13 year old boys buy them.
What do toy companies when advertising to their target age market? They get a child slightly older than the target market so that the child "looks up" to the kid playing with it.

James and Mohammed cannot buy enough guitars to justify a purchase order. If you paid me enough money to do a photoshoot for a product that increases my brand value for relatively small backlash, I'd have no problem doing it.

Of course it was a terrible argument. That particular segment of my post was pretty tongue and cheek if you didn't notice. :lol:

Looking back at that, I probably should have made the joke more apparent... Then again, I did buy 2 of the 3 new X shapes even so far as to be photographed with one for the Ibanez website, so joke's on me either way eh? :D

Latest posts

')