5150/6505 + Orange Cab =?

• Thread starter Handbanana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Handbanana

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has matched these two and how they sound? If not what would be a better cab for this particular amp head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Most Orange 412s are loaded with V30s, same as most Mesa 412s. You should just figure out if you like V30s. They are pretty versatile, but the truth of the matter is, a TON of cabs have V30s in them.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
A speaker, like a pickup, can sound totally different depending on the woodwork it sits in. Vague characteristics will remain the same, however IMHO it's better to compare cabs in person than decide you like a speaker and buy a random box with one in.

To answer the question at hand, the dark, rich, tight nature of the Orange cabs suit 6505's quite nicely however I do also find the Orange cabs ever so slightly scooped, and 5150's too. On their own its very very subtle in either unit, but it does add up with both. In a general setting you'll be fine, however my old band pitted a 6505 into a v30 cab (it's the v30's that are slightly scooped) against a JSX into greenbacks and the 6505 never had a chance haha. Against my recto into recto cab however it was fine.

broj15

Reaction score
V30's are pretty mid-heavy speakers. Its been said before that almost any good v30 loaded closed back cab (with the exception of oversized cabs) + 6505/5150 will give you a great metal tone. There are many musicians who could afford more high end gear than that but they still use that set up because its easy and gets the job done.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
Either of those amps with Orange cabs will sound awesome, you won't be disappointed!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I thought both 6505s and V30s were considered to be quite mid-heavy in sound? I think I may have read both views on ss.org however :scratch:

They both have their mids focussed in the lower mid range, which isn't considered the best area to get a real edgy cut.

So yes they have mids, but not where you want them IMO.

It's not noticeable unless you're competing with something that cuts particularly well. It's not like a Randall warhead with the mids at zero into G12T-75's or something haha

Reaction score
Like everyone has said, they make a great combo. I play a 6505+ through a recto cab and then the other day at a gig this happened:
soawesome.jpg

The sound guy asked me if i wanted to use his orange too.
I bought my mesa used for $300 a while back and it has c-90's in it. I did prefer the Orange and it's v30's but they sounded ridiculously amazing together.

Handbanana

Reaction score
I want. Hows the 2x12 working for ya? I was checking out the 6505+2x12 But I think I want to go the head route seeing how so many people hate lugging the combo around.

Reaction score
^^ my friend has the 112 combo and even its an absolute pain in the ass.
head w/a 212 cab would be easier to deal with and of course u get to pick a decent cab out too.

Latest posts

')