5150 III mini?

• Thread starter Jzbass25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about getting another amp, I currently own a Legacy and I love it but sometimes I want some more gain. I've been looking into the 50 watt 5150III but I had a few questions.

1st- I've heard it sounds good almost no matter what including bedroom levels, do you think it would be a better bedroom amp than my legacy since I can turn down the volume but crank a little more gain? (I hear that's why victor smolski wanted so much gain on his amp)

2nd- Can it do more than just the british flavor? I've been lusting over a mark v for awhile for a nice petrucci tone but it is just too much money to be spending currently while finishing my degrees and I don't really need an amp more than 50 watts, my legacy is already a hassle to make quiet when needed haha.

3rd- Do you think I'll need an attenuator? I want a good one for my legacy but the gsp1101 does a good job of taming the volume and I'm about to install a master volume so it may not be too necessary

Finally- Does anyone know how the payment system works from zzounds? It would easy the burden if I could do the payments but I don't know what might be the "catch"

Thanks guys

edit: also how is the 1x12 cab? I was just going to use it with my legacy 2x12 but I was intrigued how they used different speakers for the 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 to compliment the sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
I have the EVH 111 mini and I love it I find that where every channel stops the next picks up from there & there is a truck load of gain to be had I don't think your would be disappointed. As for payments not sure I run the EVH 212 cab to they go very good together:shred:

Underworld

Reaction score
I own a 5150 50 watts, and by no mean this is a bedroom amp. If you truly are only a bedroom player, get yourself a digital rig. If you want an amp for gigs, rehearsals and sometimes bedroom playing yes, this amp is awesome.

viesczy

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about getting another amp, I currently own a Legacy and I love it but sometimes I want some more gain. I've been looking into the 50 watt 5150III but I had a few questions.

1st- I've heard it sounds good almost no matter what including bedroom levels, do you think it would be a better bedroom amp than my legacy since I can turn down the volume but crank a little more gain? (I hear that's why victor smolski wanted so much gain on his amp)

2nd- Can it do more than just the british flavor? I've been lusting over a mark v for awhile for a nice petrucci tone but it is just too much money to be spending currently while finishing my degrees and I don't really need an amp more than 50 watts, my legacy is already a hassle to make quiet when needed haha.

3rd- Do you think I'll need an attenuator? I want a good one for my legacy but the gsp1101 does a good job of taming the volume and I'm about to install a master volume so it may not be too necessary

Finally- Does anyone know how the payment system works from zzounds? It would easy the burden if I could do the payments but I don't know what might be the "catch"

Thanks guys

edit: also how is the 1x12 cab? I was just going to use it with my legacy 2x12 but I was intrigued how they used different speakers for the 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 to compliment the sound

I just recently scored a 5150 III 50 watt from Sweetwater, so I'll chime in.

1) It sounds great at all volumes. Granted the "lower" you have it set the "thinner" it sounds as it takes volume to get any amp to have a low end thump.

2) You can dial in just about any sound you want with it. I have the red channel set with a little less upper/mid to give a more compressed lead tone and to give a more modern feel to its gain. It compares nicely to my Mesa Road King II. Since the blue and the green share the same EQ I have that voiced a little brighter (past noon for treble) for a little better "clean" on green and it helps cut on the blue.

3) Yes. Any tube amp of 50 watts you should really have one. I have an 8 ohm Hot Plate and I use it with all my tube heads. Well, not the 5150 III yet as that head is @ my GFs and my Hot Plate is @ my place. I wanted to take that over but I was a little rushed this weekend.

4) Catch @ zzounds? None really. The hit you a svc fee, a few bucks up front on the first of your bill and that is it. So take the amount, divide by 8 and that is your billing, you'd pay the first 1 up from plus the svc, like $15 or so. Zzounds, AMS & Same Day Music are all the same company, I've had great success with them. I had Zzounds match an Amazon price 2 years ago. AMS said no, oddly Zzounds said yes. I got a Bugera 333xl 2x12 for $20 more than the head matched to Amazon and at the time it the 4 pay plan. Good sounding amp, compares well to my XXX 2x12.

I can't comment on the 5150 cabs, I don't have any. I've run my 5150 III through my Avatar 2x12 with Eminence V12s and my JCA 24s+ with JCA Eminence designed speakers.

I just scored that JCA to have a beater 2x12 out @ my GF's as the Avatar is 2xs the cost of the JCA. I didn't pop the back off to comment on which sounds better, open or closed. The JCA sounds a little brighter than my Avatar, but the Avatar as a decade of use under it.

As for 4x12, my Avatar is @ my place and like I said earlier, the 5150 is @ her place, so I can't comment on that, but the Avatar 4x12 has the same V12s in it as my 2x12. I have 2 Gflexes too, but yeah they are @ my place so I can't comment. I'd expect that the 5150 III would push/thump more from the 4x12 (or the G Flexes).

Don't your Legacy cabs have Celestion V30s? From what I can see in the EVH Celection, looks like a near copy of the V30.

Derek

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I may get a weber mass 150w attenuator-wise since my lower wattage mass was good but the gsp did fine lowering the volume.

I have been looking at a digital rig but I'm not impressed by anything I've tried, my guess is I'd like an axefx2 but there's no way I can drop 2400 all at once while still in school, even the 1k for the 5150 isn't the best idea tbh but I recently did some work and sold some stuff over the last school break and I just swapped to muchhh cheaper migraine medicine.

My gsp1101 has some good models but they have that digital feel and tone I just can't get past, I've tried many pods in stores and had the same issues with those and I really didn't like the 11rack. I wonder if I sat down with a pod hdpro in my room though, maybe I could get some better tones, but from what I've read most people prefer the high gain on the gsp. I've used some vsts in reaper and I can get some better tones there but it's still soo digital.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I think any amp you get will be a better "bedroom" amp than the Carvin Legacy. I used to have one and thought it sounded great but it doesn't "do quiet." It starts at loud and only goes up from there.

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a 5150 50 watts, and by no mean this is a bedroom amp. If you truly are only a bedroom player, get yourself a digital rig. If you want an amp for gigs, rehearsals and sometimes bedroom playing yes, this amp is awesome.

+1. If your existing amp covers you for practice and gigs, get a digital setup. Have an iPad/iPhone? Buy an Apogee JAM interface and the JamUP app with a few amp packs, and you'll have tons of tones you can explore for $150 or less.

Also, don't spend money you don't have on gear. I've been down that path, and it took me the better part of 10 years to finally dig out of the debt I ran up. And it all started with a PRS Custom I "had to have" while I was in the middle of grad school. JMHO.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
+1. If your existing amp covers you for practice and gigs, get a digital setup. Have an iPad/iPhone? Buy an Apogee JAM interface and the JamUP app with a few amp packs, and you'll have tons of tones you can explore for $150 or less.

Also, don't spend money you don't have on gear. I've been down that path, and it took me the better part of 10 years to finally dig out of the debt I ran up. And it all started with a PRS Custom I "had to have" while I was in the middle of grad school. JMHO.

Thanks for the kind words. It isn't really money I don't have, like using credit card or whatever, but I am probably going to skip the amp for awhile because it's money that could be better used in the future. I think I've just been craving some new gear because my current stress level is excessively high.

*Unnecessary paragraph about my situation*
I should focus my funds into school since my current plan means I will need more student loans. Long story short, I graduate this year with a bachelors and I'm thinking about going for a masters in an unrelated field (essentially getting a new bachelors, really involved story as to why, basically medical conditions made me have to leave engineering). But if I get a bachelors or masters money will be difficult since I don't think a company will pay for a masters or even give me a job with a 3.0 gpa and chronic migraines (that have been ruining my life, grades and dreams for years).

viesczy

Reaction score
Just being the "get it" devil here...

Let's look @ the grand scheme of things, it isn't a lot of $ as compared to schooling is it? All work and no play brother... all work and no play... ;)

Derek

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I will most definitely get it if I can get a job in the next month under my friend at his cousin's corporation. I think waiting a bit is the best idea.

viesczy

Reaction score
With the fact that AMS/Zzounds/Same Day not having any instock 'til 2.1.13, give you time to finger out which way to go.

Derek

Damo707

Ibaninja
Reaction score
Yes this amp does home volumes well, obviously sound better when turned up. Nothing I can fault about it so far, I'm just happy I got one in white as they were sold out everywhere I called in australia.

Reaction score
5150 iii minis are great, everytime I go to my local guitar shop I always play it. The gain channel is great with a nice mid range tone. It's a really tight amp so you really won't need a tubescreamer. And attenuator wise you don't need one, they sound amazing even at 0.5 haha. With the crunch channel you can pull off Brit tones no problem. Another plus is that the clean tone for a high gain amp is superb. I'd put it up there with any high gain amp. The only drawback I have is that it's made in Mexico I believe, but all fender stuff holds up well.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Dude, with zzounds they have no catch. You just pay the monthly rates they put online. The only different payment you will see is the initial one, its not a start up fee or anything, it just includes the shipping of what you buy. Go for it mane!

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
viesczy said:
From what I can see in the EVH Celection, looks like a near copy of the V30

I have the EVH412 and the EVH speaker in the 4x12 cabinet is a Greenback.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
The 4x12's have Celestion v12 evh's the 2x12 and 1x12 have g12 70th anniversary, idk why they used different speakers, but do you think the amp would be good in the usa made v30s in my closed legacy cab? (I can make it open too but I always prefer closed sound)

')