5150 sound fading. bad preamp/poweramp tube?

• Thread starter gebgebgeb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey ss. i come bearing (sp?) bad news and troubles. tonight at band practice, i was playing my 5150 mk1 head through it's 5150 4x12 and i noticed a consistent decrease in volume after about 5-10 seconds when i went from standby to on. i've noticed it before but it was really apparent tonight. the volume doesn't continue fading out until there isn't any noise, it just drops in volume at around 5-10 seconds of turning it on.

when i first got the amp, 3 on the post gain was decently loud. now i have to turn it to 5 or 6 to get anything near the same volume. i have a behringer dsp 1000 (lol) and an alesis 3630 compressor running through the effect loop to get some decent delay/reverb for leads and what not. i noticed a few weeks ago that when i switched the effect loop on with the footswitch, there was a noticeable decrease in volume. i tried looking through the dsp 1000 manual and even tried contacting behringer about it but couldn't find anything. before that, the output of the effect loop and the lead channel were nearly the same.

i did some basic trouble shooting, fooled around with some settings and eventually was just running straight into my amp (no pedals, no effect loop), and i decided that's where the loss in volume was coming from. i think the output of the dsp 1000 and the general loss in volume are the same issue.

i opened up the panel where the preamp tubes are and placed the amp on standby to get the tubes to warm up and glow. i noticed that preamp tube on the far right was glowing brighter than the other 4. i'm not sure if this is normal or not. the others were glowing but they weren't nearly as bright.

i followed the forums golden rule by searching and i didn't find anything since i think this maybe a specific problem. i found one thread that had some similarities but it wasn't clear on whether it was a preamp or a power amp tube problem.

sorry for the wall of text and i apologize for any grammar issues. im running on like 4 hours of sleep and im about to fall asleep on my keyboard. hopefully i've been clear enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cradleofflames

Reaction score
Most likely tube issue. I would bet it's whichever tube governs the effects send/return, specifically the return section. If the level of saturation isn't changing it's going to be later in the preamp chain but not the phase inverter.

brodjentle

Reaction score
definitely the tubes my man and if your gonna retube think about the last time you retubed your amp and i mean fully preamp and power if its been awhile think about getting a full retube good luck

Reaction score
Most likely tube issue. I would bet it's whichever tube governs the effects send/return, specifically the return section. If the level of saturation isn't changing it's going to be later in the preamp chain but not the phase inverter.

i see. well if i remember correctly, one tube is in charge of effects send/return so that wouldn't be a big deal but i was thinking about just doing all of them anyway. and actually, with the second thing you said, i noticed that the second tube (counting left to right) was the dimmest of the 5. but i wasn't sure if this was normal because the 3 to the right of that tube were all maybe a little bit brighter if not the same.

definitely the tubes my man and if your gonna retube think about the last time you retubed your amp and i mean fully preamp and power if its been awhile think about getting a full retube good luck

that's what i figured. the thing is, is i bought it used so i'm not sure exactly what the history is on these tubes. i'll just have to email the guy i bought it off of to be sure.

thanks for the help so far guys.

Reaction score
well i posted this thread on ug and they told me it was a power amp issue but recommended that i just go ahead and do a full retube. i have the eurotube website bookmarked and i figured i'd give them a try. has anyone dealt with them? the retube kits aren't terribly expensive so i'm pretty interested.

cradleofflames

Reaction score
If there is no change in tone or level of saturation, only volume it is either effects return or driver tube for the power section. If a power tube goes the sound changes drastically because the other tube in the pair has to work a lot hard to do the same amount of work. That would often cause the amp to blow fuses.

Reaction score
i see. well when i looked at the power tubes when i had the amp on, i didn't notice one tube glowing brighter than the other. i only noticed one tube glowing brighter than the others when i was looking at the preamp tubes. ill have to check the fuse on the amp. no sound would be coming out if the fuse was blown wouldn't it?

brodjentle

Reaction score
the amp wouldnt even turn on if the tube was blown and ive only heard good things come from eurotubes brother if you read he has reviews almost everywhere and alot of people recommend them on messageboards and websites. hope that helps!

Reaction score
the amp wouldnt even turn on if the tube was blown and ive only heard good things come from eurotubes brother if you read he has reviews almost everywhere and alot of people recommend them on messageboards and websites. hope that helps!

a hah sir! i said if the fuse was blown haha. maybe you meant fuse though?

brodjentle

Reaction score
hahaha yes thats what i meant hahah my bad my minds been all over the place lately

Reaction score
alright thanks man. i appreciate everyone's help. i guess i'll be going with eurotube's high gain option retube kit. ill bump the thread whenever i get them and put them in my 5150.

soundgardener75

Resident Weirdo
Reaction score
I'd just go full retube, considering it's used.

If I may suggest, try emailing Doug at dougstubes.com. Tell him your amp and what you're looking for sound-wise, and he'll recommend the right tubes. Fast delivery (2-3 business days) and items are packed well.

Reaction score
alright good advice. i'll send him an email tonight and see if we can figure anything out.

')