5150 Style Preamp on a budget

• Thread starter ATRguitar91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A 9v one spot. Would a 12v make that much of a difference? Are there any cheap ones available?

I've heard some people say it does. It increases the headroom. You can probably find a generic 12v power supply on ebay.
Also make sure you're not plugging into the cab sim out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Plugging both straight into a Rocktron Velocity power amp into a cab.

Hm. So your signal chain is just guitar>P1 (being sure to use the preamp output in the center) > rocktron> Cabinet?

I would probably hate that chain too. Your poweramp isn’t going to sound up to snuff compared to a 6505 poweramp. Even the latest Rocktron Mainline doesnt come close imho. And then with no OD or gate i see why you aren’t liking your current tone

My apologies for recommending the AMT :( Im used to assuming everyone has a boost and a gate these days. For an all-in-one solution the tightmetal would definitely be a better choice.

I generally don’t like recommending products i haven’t tried but, the new Horizon Apex might suit your needs. The price is steep but, it does have a built in gate and boost.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A 9v one spot. Would a 12v make that much of a difference? Are there any cheap ones available?

I've heard some people say it does. It increases the headroom. You can probably find a generic 12v power supply on ebay.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Hm. So your signal chain is just guitar>P1 (being sure to use the preamp output in the center) > rocktron> Cabinet?

I would probably hate that chain too. First off your poweramp is not going to sound up to snuff compared to a 6505 poweramp. Even the latest Rocktron Mainline doesn’t come close imho.

2nd you’re going to need a gate and a boost to make it tight and quiet. Just like a regular 6505.

My apologies for recommending it :( Im used to assuming everyone has a boost and a gate these days. My bad.
I have them, I was just hoping to avoid moving them back and forth between my main rig.

It sounds pretty good with the boost, I'm just confused about some of the videos I'd seen and the tone they got with just the P1.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Would any 12v work? I might have one for charging a drill or something handy.

And I've tried both outouts to make sure there wasn't some wiring messup.

Shask

Reaction score
You can try the Mooer 005. I have never tried AMT, but I think the 005 is pretty good. No need for a boost or gate.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I have them, I was just hoping to avoid moving them back and forth between my main rig.

It sounds pretty good with the boost, I'm just confused about some of the videos I'd seen and the tone they got with just the P1.

I had the same exact experience. I did not enjoy the P1 at all. Even boosted and running multiple gates it was hard to control the noise and flubby.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I must have gotten a good unit or something. My P2 was quiet and I didn't have any flub or anything. Never ran a boost. And I love tight tones, too.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Wait a second... how high is your preamp volume?

You should try starting with the rocktron volume at almost full blast then very slowly roll in the P1 volume.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Wait a second... how high is your preamp volume?

You should try starting with the rocktron volume at almost full blast then very slowly roll in the P1 volume.
I'll try this tomorrow at higher volumes, but it doesn't appear to make much of a difference at lower levels.

I set the preamp volume to be the same as my guitar going in dry, and it still sounded quite flubby.

I was thinking maybe I got a defective unit or something as I bought used, but I found an Ola video where he records direct in with the P1, matched his settings, and it sounded identical.

karnivorus

Reaction score
For fun, I ran the P1 and Metal Zone direct into the interface with the same IR. Which one do you all think sounds better and which is which?

To make it fair, I ran the P1 from the preamp out, but the cabsim sounds pretty awful to me anyways.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0MRBRbjdEWO

The first part is the metal zone, I recognize those annoying mids from a mile away.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Um if that really is a metalzone i need to get one immediately
I wouldn't mislead on the internet like that.

I genuinely like the Metal Zone and it was my first metal distortion pedal, seems like it's having a bit of renaissance thanks to YouTubers.

Used as a preamp it's really not too bad, but I also find it needs a boost in front to get the sound I want.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
So...why in the name of profits and fandom does BOSS just not start selling the HM-2 again? Special Edition, Limited Run, Throwback Batch, whatever. Seems like they'd sell 10s of thousands of 80s tech. Hell, you can make special editions of the reissue, talk to Fender.

Shask

Reaction score
So...why in the name of profits and fandom does BOSS just not start selling the HM-2 again? Special Edition, Limited Run, Throwback Batch, whatever. Seems like they'd sell 10s of thousands of 80s tech. Hell, you can make special editions of the reissue, talk to Fender.
I am really supersized they haven't done a Waza version, with a classic mode, and a modern mode that includes some of the popular mods. They have done this for several other pedals.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I have one of the Taiwan versions, it's amazing to see how much people are selling them for now.

Used to be able to get em for $50 all the time.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I wouldn't mislead on the internet like that.

I genuinely like the Metal Zone and it was my first metal distortion pedal, seems like it's having a bit of renaissance thanks to YouTubers.

Used as a preamp it's really not too bad, but I also find it needs a boost in front to get the sound I want.

Oh I’m not misleading. I actually bought one last night from guitar center used online. Should be here in a week
:hbang:

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
For fun, I ran the P1 and Metal Zone direct into the interface with the same IR. Which one do you all think sounds better and which is which?

To make it fair, I ran the P1 from the preamp out, but the cabsim sounds pretty awful to me anyways.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0MRBRbjdEWO

They both sound pretty killer! That P1 sounds REALLY f*ing great actually!

I am really supersized they haven't done a Waza version, with a classic mode, and a modern mode that includes some of the popular mods. They have done this for several other pedals.

If Boss made Waza HM2 and MT2 models, they’d be among the biggest releases of the year! They’d fly off the bloody shelves!

')