5150iii 6L6S/Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander/Other ways to record tube amp direct?

• Thread starter yiti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yiti

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 5150iii 6L6S Head and 1x12 cab, and it sounds awesome.

I’m trying to find the best way to record my playing direct into my DAW and I’m considering the Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander.

Can I can plug the cab directly into the speaker 1 out of the 5150iii at the same time the Waza TAE is connected to speaker 2 out of the 5150iii head? This would allow me to monitor the direct signal from the 5150iii in the room instead of the digitized signal from the Waza TAE. I don’t want to have any change in the feel between my guitar, the amp, and the cab in the room, but I still want to be able to record a copy of the signal for reference later.

The other option of course is to get a good mic and mic-pre, but in my noisy environment, a direct signal of some sort may be cleaner. I see the Waza TAE has a pre effect direct out available via USB, has anybody used this?

Is anybody doing anything similar? Where you monitor the cab straight from the amp in the room but use some other way to capture a signal digitally for later? What are other possible solutions?

Thank you all!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I record with a Suhr Reactive Load, which has the option to run the amp through the real cab. Doing so disconnects the internal load while still giving you the line out signal to send to your interface.

If you don't care about recording silently, the newer Two Notes Torpedo Cab M has a similar "thru" option and also loads impulses.

As far as the Boss unit goes, I'm not really familiar with the features, so I'm no help there.

yiti

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I record with a Suhr Reactive Load, which has the option to run the amp through the real cab. Doing so disconnects the internal load while still giving you the line out signal to send to your interface.

Thanks. The Suhr looks like it might work in the way I'm looking for. So with the cab attached to the Suhr Thru to Speaker, you are able to hear the cab directly without processing and also at the same time record a line out signal to your interface/daw?

Sumsar

Reaction score
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor, both the old and the new version (called X?) is also great options for recording silently, or record direct while attenuating the signal running to the cabinet, so that you can run the amp a bit hotter which opens up the sound in a good way. I just got a 5150 iii 50watt and I am using it with the captor. Recently I have also started using the captor only for attenuation and then recording with mics on the cabinet. A sm57 through a decent interface can sound pretty awesome.

Sorry for rubbing my own door knob here, but the attenuator and an sm57 is how I got the sounds for this video:

Mike_R

Reaction score
On the 50w EVH heads you can monitor direct using the headphone out while sending the preamp out into your DAW.

You also could use a Countryman 85 direct box, which is switchable for speaker/pickup level, inserted between your amp and speaker cab to take a direct signal while monitoring. The 85 won't alter the signal going to your cab, it just gives you an XLR out you can record direct and playback with IRs later.

I use a Captor currently, but from the shootouts I have heard the Suhr seems to do a bit better as a reactive load (when not using a speaker cab). As far as noisy environments, you might just want to try an SM57 while recording. A guitar cab is relatively loud compared to most household noises, and a dynamic mic with relatively low gain (like you would use for a guitar cab) can do a pretty good job of rejecting ambient noises.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Thanks. The Suhr looks like it might work in the way I'm looking for. So with the cab attached to the Suhr Thru to Speaker, you are able to hear the cab directly without processing and also at the same time record a line out signal to your interface/daw?

Exactly, plus the Suhr has a really accurate internal load in case you want to record silently too :yeseay:

hvdh

Reaction score
I was following the development of the captor x and contemplating buying the unit.

But I rememberd a conversation with Howard Kaplan the designer of the EVH5150III. You can silent record the pre amp signal of the EVH5150III.

Connect Pre Amp out or effects loop out to your interface AND plug a dummy stereo connector in to the headphones out (this kills the signal to your poweramp/speakers). To avoid any possible damage connect the amp to your speaker cab.

This is how I feed my EVH5150III in to my Hotone Ampero and use my fav IR and the internal internal interface. Sounds and feels very realistic without the need of an loadbox or other expensive box and connecting the amp this way it is absolutely silent.
This is also a great way for pre amp tube rolling.

EVH5150III is a monsterous good and user friendly amp!

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
The TAE is fantastic.
Use the direct out into your interface and choose between using their cab modelling or load the IRs in your DAW. I've used the AxeFX 3 to load the IRs and used it as the interface so I get a DI.
I prefer to load IRs in the DAW so I can change them.

you could also record with a mic using the TAE to turn the amp up then use the volume control on the TAE to turn it down. I’m pretty sure John Browne did it this way on one of his videos

The TAE sounds that good you won’t want to fanny around - you’ll just hook it up and play. I prefer to put my effects in the TAE loop as it has a better loop than my amps (mix of 5153s and Marshall). The onboard effects are decent too but still prefer pedals or the AxeFX in 4cm (still using the TAE loop - less noise)

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Like Mike said. Just plug something into the headphone jack and use direct monitoring of your IR sound. That's spending a hell of a lot of money just to be able to hear your cab at the same time. Leave it plugged in, obviously.

')