5153 EL34 or Splawn QR? Or something else?

• Thread starter dan the man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
@Stiman I don’t know too much about REVV amps. My amp is a Mesa Triple Rectifier revision G, rev G for short. Owners often include the revision of their amp during discussions because they’ve changed over the years to the point it’s become relevant information.

Truth, it’s definitely different than playing through a 5150 or Marshall. I’ve found so many great sounds experimenting with that Triple.

Ok, big 🤦‍♂️ on my part, lol. I completely misread your comment. I'll see myself out...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
Ok, big 🤦‍♂️ on my part, lol. I completely misread your comment. I'll see myself out...
No worries, I was curious about Revv too at one point. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don’t know too much about them. From what I’ve read and heard in demos they seem to be one of those amps designed to sound polished and produced from the start vs an amp that gives you everything and lets you tailor things to your liking. I was left with that impression after getting to try out the Diezel sound too, I found that boring.

Bram576

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Rectifier pairs really well the amps you have already. It also sounds and feels different from your other amps. I have a rev G Triple, I love playing it and they’re way more versatile than they get credit for. The red channel is what you’re paying for but once you start getting away from that you’ll find that the amp has a lot more to offer besides just metal tones.
love me some rectos. But don’t sleep on the orange channel, especially on the older variants. It is absolutely killer dialed in right. Been used on some pretty awesome albums like Whitechapels stuff. Of course it’s boosted with a TC circuit, but damn it sounds killer.

Necky379

Reaction score
F
love me some rectos. But don’t sleep on the orange channel, especially on the older variants. It is absolutely killer dialed in right. Been used on some pretty awesome albums like Whitechapels stuff. Of course it’s boosted with a TC circuit, but damn it sounds killer.
For sure, I shared a similar thought in a previous post here. I don‘t use the Orange channel as much as the Red channel but the Orange channel covers way more ground. I play mostly metal on Red and found I can use Orange for everything else. With some other high gain amps it feels like you’re compromising trying to dial in anything besides the brootz but with this amp the other tones are equally impressive and drive pedals work so well with it. I don’t even eq it really, iirc all the controls on that channel are still at noon. One of the best sounds I’ve ever come up with is an OCD in front set for mild overdrive, amp breaking up on the Orange channel. It’s so bluesy I would love to see if anyone could “guess that amp” hearing it blindfolded.

I didn’t know Whitechapel used that channel either. It’s easy to get great radio rock and grimey electric blues out of it but next time I fire it up I want to see how that channel does metal.

Bram576

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
F

For sure, I shared a similar thought in a previous post here. I don‘t use the Orange channel as much as the Red channel but the Orange channel covers way more ground. I play mostly metal on Red and found I can use Orange for everything else. With some other high gain amps it feels like you’re compromising trying to dial in anything besides the brootz but with this amp the other tones are equally impressive and drive pedals work so well with it. I don’t even eq it really, iirc all the controls on that channel are still at noon. One of the best sounds I’ve ever come up with is an OCD in front set for mild overdrive, amp breaking up on the Orange channel. It’s so bluesy I would love to see if anyone could “guess that amp” hearing it blindfolded.

I didn’t know Whitechapel used that channel either. It’s easy to get great radio rock and grimey electric blues out of it but next time I fire it up I want to see how that channel does metal.
Running it with a tc electronic kind of pre like the dirty tree, or 33 is key to getting an insane high gain sound

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I love , love , love , my Splawn but to me all it is , is an upgrade to what you've already got. I just got a Mesa Mark IV and the 2 couldn't be more different , but both killer.
Have you thought maybe a 50 Watt Badlander? those are pretty cool amps that would give you a completely different flavor from what you currently have.
for reference I went from a Marshall JVM( a modded one at that) to the Splawn and I think the Splawn destroys the JVM.

dan the man

Reaction score
I love , love , love , my Splawn but to me all it is , is an upgrade to what you've already got. I just got a Mesa Mark IV and the 2 couldn't be more different , but both killer.
Have you thought maybe a 50 Watt Badlander? those are pretty cool amps that would give you a completely different flavor from what you currently have.
for reference I went from a Marshall JVM( a modded one at that) to the Splawn and I think the Splawn destroys the JVM.
Thanks for the info, man! I was also considering a JVM, but I assume I'd like the Splawn better (like you).
I used to have a Dual Rec and a Mark IV and they were great but I liked my 6505 better at the time.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you prefer the saturated high gain tone, the Engl Powerball is more plug'n'play imho and in the same ballpark with the Spawn pricewise imho.

Necky379

Reaction score
Try the Metalzone as booster (all the parametric eq @ noon, gain->0, Level->max or less ) 😉
This is a fun thread but I don’t want to derail it too much, quick add on to this I found:

Screamerboost->MT2boost->Red Channel scooped settings->G12T cab

I don’t currently do this but it’s an evil evil sound. Stacking the boosts and pulling down the highs and lows a bit with the MT2 hits the front with mids then you run high schooler settings on the amp with the scooped speakers.
My setup now is OD9 stacked with a V1 Pandemonium into the red channel, either Recto cab or 1960TV with Fane F25’s.

I used to have a Dual Rec and a Mark IV and they were great but I liked my 6505 better at the time.
Fwiw if I had to choose I’m still choosing my 5150 over the Recto, at the end of the day that’s my amp. That being said, if you are buying another amp, those two go together like peas and carrots.

')