6-string build

• Thread starter BDMCCR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BDMCCR

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Starting a build for a friend of mine. What he wants is a guitar with lots of sustain so it´s clearly gonna be a neck through design. He also wants the guitar to be fairly versatile as far as tone is concerned (acoustic type sound, metal and Djent sound........:spock:) so BKPs and a Piezo should be the weapons of choice! :scream::hbang:
It´ll be made of:

Ash body
Bywlytw2kKGrHqYOKi4EwSek9hq6BMTHQDUIR_12.jpg

Ebony top
6186.jpg

5 Piece Bubinga/Ebony neck
120110-44.jpg

2012-03-06_22-27-55.jpg

2012-03-06_22-27-05.jpg

Maple OR Ziricote fretboard H E R E I S W H E R E I N E E D H E L P!!! Enlighten me I´m unsure about the contrast between bubinga and maple... Ziricote and Ebony in the front not THAT win! ?!? ?
Griffbrett1.jpg

and filled with:
Hipshot Tuners
DV019_Jpg_Regular_424086001_black.jpg

Piezo Bridge with Preamp (probably Schaller)
217148.jpg

Bare Knuckle Pickups Aftermath set
KNAFTERMATHCAMOBOLTS-xl.jpg

grabbed myself a beer tonight and started by coming up with a headstock... My friend wanted a pretty hardcore design like I did on my multiscale build (also in here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...tions/182073-8-string-multiscale-project.html ) and since he was digging it a LOT I went and pretty much did the same thing after substracting 2 strings..... :squint: pretty pleased with the way it looks in my mind and as a papercut on my kitchen table... :nuts:
IMAG0256.jpg

Please guys need some input on what to do as a fretboard.... something just crossed my mind... how ´bout ziricote and a binding made of wild african olive?!?!:scratch:

well that´s it for now.... hope to get going as soon as I´m free..... work sucks sooo bad! :rolleyes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levi79

Reaction score
You sir. Have taste. This is going to be really cool. I'm already drooling over the wood.

Levi79

Reaction score
:lol: As for your Zircote/maple situation I say maple. I love me some Zircote (I'm using it on my first build), but I'm all about contrast, and the contrast between the maple and the ebonys your using will be fucking sex dude.

I'm actually really really stoked to see what happens with this. These woods are basically what I want to use for my second build. I haven't even started my first build and I already have a second planned :lol:
Edit: your the guy behind that awesome 8 string build too! Double the "you have taste" statement.

BDMCCR

Reaction score
Thanks for the love and the feedback dude!
I'm constantly changing my mind about maple and ziricote.... But I think you're right with the contrast issue with Ziricote... There won't be too much difference between the two front woods...
And concerning the multiple build problem: I'm workin on 4 different guitars right now... I think it's the many possibilities you have once your able to build something from scratch!
It's such good feeling... :hbang:

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Ziricote fingerboard works very well, and is incredibly gorgeous!
The fb of the soloist I'm building for a friend is in ziricote... The only thing is that it's NOT possible to make an inlya as this wood is already so beautiful and veined...

And I don't like that much the headstock. :/

Levi79

Reaction score
He's using a maple board. I demand it.

But I kind of agree on the headstock.

BDMCCR

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for the input!
I'm leaning towards maple more and more...
Any suggestions for the Headstock?

Just A Box

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for the input!
I'm leaning towards maple more and more...
Any suggestions for the Headstock?

I think that some may see the headstock as awkward because most of us are used to seeing more wood above the low E string. I suggest, that if he wants hardcore, sweep a curve in towards the high E even more, so that it reaches the A string (not too drastic and not a total copycat either), and the low E is hanging out there on its own. Nothing says hardcore that a headstock shaped like a scythe.

BDMCCR

Reaction score
To be really honestwith you guys...: I'm in love with the Headstock.... Drew up some other ones but they just didn't feel right... Taking away some wood behind the low e string kind of always ends in counterfeit..... Pics will follow tomorrow for you to judge.

As for now my kid demands immediate attention, loudly!
And I will do as he pleases for he is the very master of the night and in rule of sleep and wake! :bowdown:

BDMCCR

Reaction score
Yeah man! I got a feeling it will, too! :agreed: :hbang:
Gonna be starting as soon as the ebony veneer comes flying through my front door!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
If you haven't decided on the fingerboard wood... How about staining that nice flamed maple? Black or red flamed maple would be refuckingdiculous with that ebony top.

BDMCCR

Reaction score
thats defintely a good idea! I´m gonna do some testing on that! really deep red stain sanded off halfway should really be gorgeous with that ebony, dude! :bowdown:

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
I need to keep my eye on this one! any idea on what your doing with the body yet?

BDMCCR

Reaction score
wooooo! I got wood!!! :metal:
sliced the veneer up
IMAG0324.jpg

and put them in place
IMAG0327.jpg

i like it so far... hoping to achieve some random bright/dark effect with the wood grain.

')