6 String Equivalent to RG1527... RG1570?

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hamster

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time on the Ibby wiki https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG570_(2017–2018) its very helpful if you haven't seen it

The Wizard Prestige on the 2550E at 18-20 thickness is - to me - very different than the neck on the 570 Genesis which is the Super Wizard at 17-19. Both have 17 radius's. I've only played the Genesis versions in store so not sure what the difference between the Super Wizard and the Wizard HP Prestige on my RG652s are. The specs are the same. It might be number of pieces of wood or whatever. I have a RG6PCMLTD which has the Wizard Premium neck which is 18-20 thickness and a 15.75 radius and several RG652s with the Wizard HP Prestige - that 1mm thickness on such a wide flat neck definitely gives it a different playing experience to me. I love them both but if I had to pick one the Wizard HP Prestige has come to be my favorite neck - now more than the original Wizard.

The 570 Genesis neck is the Super Wizard HP Prestige neck without the AANJ shape at the neck / body junction but the square heel design instead.

Here is a picture of the neck of one of my guitars with the Super Wizard HP Prestige (now Ibanez simply calls it the "Super Wizard HP". Removing the Prestige moniker references makes people more inclined to consider buying a guitar from the Premium series or a made in indonesia model) : https://www.noelshack.com/2019-26-3-1561501892-rg-prestige.jpg

Here is a picture of the neck of one of my 2018 RG570 Genesis : https://www.noelshack.com/2019-26-3-1561501878-rg-genesis.jpg

100% identical (except for the neck joint as I said a little bit above). Same woods, same quality, same fretwork. For the 550 models with maple fretboards, the situation is a bit different.

The neck on the 550 is a Prestige Super Wizard HP neck with maple fretboard but, like all necks with maple fretboards built by Fujigen (even on the new RG5120m), the workers only level the frets and crown them and do not spend a lot of time on the fret edges.

I bought six brand new guitars from the Genesis series (three 570, two 550 and one 521) a few months ago when some well know german websites
temporarily reduced the prices of the 570 and 521 to only 629€ (the 521 cost me only 549... this is just a rg652fx in blue color with V7 and V8 pickups. The hardware, woods, and parts are 100% identical to the ones used on the 652, Gotoh MGT tuners and all the stuff !!!) following the discontinuation of these two model (this move was initiated by the Ibanez official german distributor Meinl : they had too many units in stock and had to make room for the first batches of new guitars from the 2019 catalog).

When I saw these guitars sold for only 600€, I had to contact the distributor and call the customer services of the online stores to know more. I was like "What the fuck ? What is the trick ?".

Thank god, these guys are not only salesmen but passionate musicians and they took the time to give me answers.

Here is a post that I wrote on a facebook group for some guy that asked for advice about the 2018 Genesis 570 :

"I bought three brand new RG570 Genesis (with one 521 and two 550s) at the same time a few months ago when some big and well known online stores based in Germany started to clear their inventories from these models after they were discontinued. So I bought three 570 for the price of a single Prestige (2019 RG5XXX series for example) from the 2019 catalog ! How ?

The 570 (and 521) models from the Genesis series were a commercial failure in Europe.

These guitars had an unclear positioning in the Ibanez line-up.

The 2018 average customer was not able to understand the interest of such guitars :

- Unlike the 550's with their flashy colors, the 570 look like "basic" Ibanez guitars.

- They were made in Japan but Ibanez did not officially advertise them as Prestige guitars on western markets.
They did not want to hurt their Made in Indonesia guitars with a sub 1000€/USD guitar. Indeed, had it been the case, this guitar would have been a "Premium Killer".

Some people say "Yeah, they did not include them in the Prestige line, you know, it's for historical accuraccy". I do not think that this is the reason : we have to remember that Ibanez included the 2013 RG570 in the Prestige Line. They did not want to hurt the Made in Indo guitars. They are currently pushing these Indo guitars well over the 1000USD bar !

So, without the Prestige branding, without the Dimarzio Pickups, pickups, people that had 1000€ to spend on a guitar turned their head away from the RG570 and went for an Indonesian Premium with fancy woods and hardware or found a good deal on a brand new Prestige 655.

Consequently, the 570 and 521 were discontinued on december 2018.

GOOD ! Big german sellers had dozens of RG570 and RG521 in their warehouses and started to sell off these guitars between 500 and 650 euros.

These guitars are AMAZING for the price.

I own a lot of Prestige guitars. I can say directly, without any doubt, that the 2018 Genesis 570 guitars are simply Prestige RG1570 with square heel neck joint.
To give a more recent reference point, I can say that the discontinued Genesis 570 are on the quality level of the current Prestige RG65X series (but without the dimarzio pickups and the case).

The 2018 Genesis series was advertised as a sub-branch of the Prestige Series in Japan, with Prestige treatment of the frets...
Trust me, they are Prestige guitars.

You don't get any hardcase with them. Only a little "TEAM J-CRAFT" transparent pouch with tools and the guitar comes in a cardboard box with a big Prestige logo printed on it.

Buy it with eyes closed !"

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
Yeah at that price - all day long. Which is exactly what you did. Well played sir.

')