6 string FR going all the way to G#

• Thread starter Mn3mic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
Hey!

I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with tuning a 6 String all the way down to Drop G# with a FR system.
Are there any damages that occurred or any other problems you had to deal with?
Any info would be appreciated :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Thicker gauges... Set up. :yesway:

I'm sure you're going to ask me to expand, so... Try getting a heavy 7 string set, and just don't use the thinnest string. Then you're more than likely going to have to play with the trem claw unless you somehow manage to even out the tension back to what it was without having done so. Afterwards you may need to adjust your truss rod some to alleviate any fret buzz/fretted out notes that may have arisen since the massive gauge change.

A dude n here turned an RGT42DX down to G standard a few years back. It was in a thread called Who Needs an 8 String to be Heavy?

sovereignsoviet

mike patton fanatic
Reaction score
You might need to file the nut/widen the tuning pegs if the strings are too thick, but try using a tension calculator. As long as the tension is relatively similar, the adjustment really won't be too drastic.

Still, if you don't know how to set up a guitar, you might want to take it to a tech for such a big switch.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I tried it with the strings i usually play, D' Addario light top heavy bottoms, and it doesnt work out too well. There has to be adjustments and heavier strings. Although it does work well on a string through guitar.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
Don't worry, I know how to set up guitars and FR, it's just that I never tried going below drop A#, and I do that with a 11-59 string setup, but I guess with drop G#, I would need at least "60 on the low string if not more, but will the FR hold thicker strings?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
It should so long as you can get the string into the saddle. :yesway:

I use a 60 on my Lo Pro Edge 7 which I know isn't exactly a Floyd Rose, but I imagine the locking at the saddle is similar enough...?

Mn3mic

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty much the same as the FR series I have.
Did you have to widen anything to get the string in?

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty much the same as the FR series I have.
Did you have to widen anything to get the string in?

FWIW, I've used up to a .072 in a Schaller FR and an Ibanez Edge without modification to the trem.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Thicker gauges... Set up. :yesway:

I'm sure you're going to ask me to expand, so... Try getting a heavy 7 string set, and just don't use the thinnest string. Then you're more than likely going to have to play with the trem claw unless you somehow manage to even out the tension back to what it was without having done so. Afterwards you may need to adjust your truss rod some to alleviate any fret buzz/fretted out notes that may have arisen since the massive gauge change.

A dude n here turned an RGT42DX down to G standard a few years back. It was in a thread called Who Needs an 8 String to be Heavy?

I think that may have been me...lemme searchy

EDIT: Yep that was me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73sXmwesw4

EDIT2: No idea why it won't embed, Fuck you. Also, that was a .56 tuned to G, so DEFINITELY not optimal, but it can be done.

Latest posts

')