6 Strings Pickups?

MarcusProg

Reaction score
I'm building a 6 string guitar, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of pickups to get. I'd have it primarily in the D-Standard area, as far as tuning goes, so I'm looking for a pickup that won't get muddy. A ton of output is NOT necessary. The sort of distorted sound I'm going for is a combination of Byzantine, Protest the Hero, Persefone, and Ne Obliviscaris. Something that has a lot of clarity in the tuning I mentioned earlier. Good cleans are a must, somewhere between glassy and warm.

For those who are interested, the body wood for the guitar will be basswood with a flamed maple top.

My current candidates are the Duncan JB+Jazz/59, Dimarzio Illuminators, and Dimarzio Titans. I'm somewhat worried that the JB may have too much output, but that's only based off of word of mouth. I'll accept any recommendations from you guys, as long as it isn't BKP, since I don't have the cash to throw around for that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay away from the JB. Under high gain and tuned below standard it's not ideal.

From Seymour Duncan, I'd look into the Pegasus/Sentient combo. From DiMarzio I'd recommend the Dominion set.

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Stay away from the JB. Under high gain and tuned below standard it's not ideal.

From Seymour Duncan, I'd look into the Pegasus/Sentient combo. From DiMarzio I'd recommend the Dominion set.

Do you think? I actually use very little gain as far as distorted tones go, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the other recommendations too!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Dimarzio D-Activator or Titan set. Maybe a Liquifire neck with either bridge pickup. I've used the DA/LF and Titan/LF combo and have been very pleased with the results :)

For Duncans, I'd look at the Custom bridge and Jazz neck. I'm not a big fan of the Jazz for my own playing, but it does what you described pretty well.

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Dimarzio D-Activator or Titan set. Maybe a Liquifire neck with either bridge pickup. I've used the DA/LF and Titan/LF combo and have been very pleased with the results :)

For Duncans, I'd look at the Custom bridge and Jazz neck. I'm not a big fan of the Jazz for my own playing, but it does what you described pretty well.

Doesn't the D-Activator have a potentially harsh high end? My only other 6 string guitar has EMGs, and I'm trying avoid that feeling of sterility and nasal high end. How would you describe the D-Activator?

What do you not like about the Jazz?

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Why are you not considering the Dominion?

EDIT: Derp. Never mind.

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Why are you not considering the Dominion?

EDIT: Derp. Never mind.

Well, I don't know much about those pickups. I can't find any demos that feature tones that I'd use. I'm running a Mesa Mark V, with gain at 12:00 on the 3rd channel, which really isn't as much as a lot of people would use, I think. I also would like to keep it that way, as it keeps my tone really clean and dynamic. I also haven't bought pickups for a guitar before, so I am pretty apprehensive, too.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Doesn't the D-Activator have a potentially harsh high end? My only other 6 string guitar has EMGs, and I'm trying avoid that feeling of sterility and nasal high end. How would you describe the D-Activator?

What do you not like about the Jazz?

The DA doesn't have harsh highs so much as it doesn't have as much high end rolled off as a smoother pickup. You may get good results from it if you back it off the strings, but otherwise it may be little too hot for good cleans just with the volume knob. It's definitely not sterile or nasally, just balanced, clear, and very dynamic for how much output it has.

The Titan, however, sounds like a good match for the bridge position you described. It's similar to the DA, but with smoother highs, a slightly lower output, thicker mids, and fatter lows that still stay tight, plus awesome clarity/string separation. I've never tried getting a clean tone from mine with just the volume knob, but I feel it would fare better than the DA because of the voicing and output differences.

My thing with the Jazz really just comes down to personal preference :2c: I felt it was a little too scooped for lead playing, but it worked for cleans well. Admittedly, it's been a good while since I've tried one, so I may be a little biased :lol:

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Hm, that's brought the DA into my list of considerations, for the bridge pickup at least. Lots to think about. I wonder if I'm actually overthinking everything, at times. I like my neck pickup to be slightly bright, I think, and definitely not scooped in the mids, as I like that to be the basis of my sound, which I like to think is pretty balanced.

I think that in the end, I'll just have to try these out, to find out what I like. Thanks for your advice!

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Yeah, its starting to become apparent that Titans are probably what I'm going for. Thanks!

Latest posts

')