6 to 7 string transition.

Emmancastillo

EmmanCastillo
Reaction score
Sup guys, Emman here.
I recently got an Ibanez rg3217 to get the groove going and to expand my musical horizons ( other than that, i have loved 7's all my life but havent got the chance to get my hands on one).
Ive been playing 6 strings for a while now (5 years) and need some advice on how to use the 7 to create music and incorporate it in my live shows.
I tune to drop A (On my 6 stringer) and my 7 is on ( A-E-A-D-#F-B-E)
Should i kept this tunning or just stick to standard drop A for 7's?
I play anything from metal to jazz, and really apreciate all kinds of music but heavy music is where my heart is.
Im open to all kinds of contributions, so dont hold back and start the attack!
Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

K4RM4

ss.org Lurker
Reaction score
If you like drop A, play in drop A. Nobody can tell you not to play in a drop tuning on a 7 string. Otherwise, the transition is not that difficult. Try playing things you already know, but drop them down a string. Don't forget, a 7 string is just a six string guitar with a low B (or A) option.

BeeG

Reaction score
When I got my first 7-string, I used that same exact tuning because the songs I made up on my 6-string didn't sound as good in normal tuning(A-E-A-D-G-B-E) or i had trouble playing it. Eventually, I fully transitioned, leaving the 6-string songs on the 6-string. It wasn't hard for me, personally, because I pump out new ideas almost daily. It will help you out in the long run if you just make the jump and stick to normal tuning, HOWEVER, it's ultimately your playstyle and what YOU want to do. There is no right or wrong tuning. Do what you're comfortable with.

The biggest challenge for me was getting used to the bigger neck. Sweeping and solos were a whole different animal and I had to practice with the freaking metronome again to get used to it. I got the hang of it pretty quickly and I'm sure you will to. I honestly can't play a 6-string anymore because it pisses me off haha..

You say you do live shows? Do you have another guitarist playing with you?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep just do what you like!

Tuning that string to G gives you a standard guitar with a low A.
Tuning that G string to F# gives you a 6 in drop with a high string.

I have tried both and prefer the normal G, but that's because I never really was into tuning sixes down.
I find both these tunings to give me completely different approaches. I'm inclined to play heavier stuff with that string tuned to F#, whereas in normal 7 string drop A I might play stuff more focused around the 6 string, with the occasional use of the low A.

Joeseffel

7String Newbie
Reaction score
As long as the tuning you pick is one that doesn't hinder your creativity, who gives a fuck? ;)
The fact is that you can play covers for the rest of your days and let that decide your tuning, experiment with something no one anyone has ever done before or anything in between, it's entirely your choice. Personally I would have a G but that's because I play in standard anyway.
Just get used to the bigger neck and enjoy playing with your new toy!

Eagle X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just tuned my 7 string B-E-A-D-#F-B-E.
So I play the 2nd to 7th strings like playing a normal 6 string guitar, just 5 half-steps down.
It sounds really dark and cool.

Last edited:
')