6505+ 112- Noob questions

onionofdoom

I'm Batman
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry in advance if this has been covered before.
I just picked up a peavey 6505+ 112 combo, and I'm really not sure how to dial this thing in, mostly because having a bass AND a resonance confuses the hell out of me, same with the treble and presence. here's how I have it set at the moment:
red channel
pre gain- 4
presence- 1
resonance- 2.5
high- 6
mid- 8 - am I going mid crazy? (I hear that the 6505 is like the most mid heavy amp ever)
low- 4
post gain- anywhere from 1 to 4 depending on who's in the house :p

if it helps- my setup is something like this:
Hamer xt satq (doublecut les Paul) with Seymour Duncan sh-1 59' and tb-5 custom (the spacing is wierd on that guitar) Strung with 11-60 and tuned to C G C F A D low to high (or sometimes with 10.5-56 and tuned C# G# C# F# A# D#) Straight into the front of the amp (I know certain pedals are supposed to help, reccomendations would be great)
The speaker in the 6505 is an eminence swamp thang also. if you could explain exactly what the resonance does and it's relation to the bass
(and which one I need more of for tight metal chugs) that would be fantastic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
the resonance feature affects the negative feedback loop. it basically fattens up the low end response of the amp the higher it is set. the lower its set, the tighter it is, but looses a bit of "oomph". the presence feature if basically and extra-high frequency knob, it really adds sizzle around 3'o clock onwards. too much can get a bit fizzy. i'd run a 5150 like this:

ts: high volume, low drive

red channel

pre gain: 10 oclock
low: 1 oclock
mids: 11 oclock
highs: 11:30
resonance: noon
presence: 3 oclock

see what you think. i found dialling the treble low and presence high gave me a nice metallic tone.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
I just picked up a peavey 6505+ 112 combo, and I'm really not sure how to dial this thing in, mostly because having a bass AND a resonance confuses the hell out of me, same with the treble and presence. here's how I have it set at the moment:
red channel
pre gain- 4
presence- 1
resonance- 2.5
high- 6
mid- 8 - am I going mid crazy? (I hear that the 6505 is like the most mid heavy amp ever)
low- 4

Hamer xt satq (doublecut les Paul) with Seymour Duncan sh-1 59' and tb-5 custom (the spacing is wierd on that guitar) Strung with 11-60 and tuned to C G C F A D low to high (or sometimes with 10.5-56 and tuned C# G# C# F# A# D#) Straight into the front of the amp (I know certain pedals are supposed to help, reccomendations would be great)
The speaker in the 6505 is an eminence swamp thang also. if you could explain exactly what the resonance does and it's relation to the bass

For tight chugs, consider getting an OD pedal in the Tubescreamer family. Either a TS-9 or 808 in front of the amp will help tighten up your tone and give you more definition. Run it with the drive at 0, level at 10 and tone to your liking. I bet your amp sounds massive with the Swamp Thang...:cool:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
The 6505+ is one of the few amps that doesn't necessarily need a boost. It'll give you a different flavor, but it's pretty tight and defined, especially with the presence and resonance controls.

Tweak the EQ first (bass/mid/treble) gain, and master volume to taste. Then you use the Resonance control to dial in the right amount of "wumph" into your "chug", and the Presence control to get enough top end without getting harsh or fizzy.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
red channel
pre gain- 4
presence- 1
resonance- 2.5
high- 6
low- 4

Ur settings actually look pretty good and should sound pretty good, depending on what u are going for. I'd recommend using the presence at about half, then go a little back and forth from there to get an idea of what it does for ur tone. Basically it's gonna affect how aggressive ur amp will sound. Ur resonance doesn't particularly bring out more bass, it basically determines how big and open the bass u have dialed in is. For a tight tone, definitely keep it low but like ur presence I would recommend dialing it up to about half to get a feel for what it can bring and then go from there. I dig the ballsiness that having the resonance above half brings, but it can compromise tightness. But if u run an OD pedal in front as a clean boost it will keep things tight enough to allow dialing in some extra resonance but without losing ur tightness, due to the low bass frequency cut from the OD.

On a different note, how are u liking the Swamp Thang in ur amp???? I plan on getting the same amp and putting in a Swamp Thang. How does it compare to the stock speaker??

onionofdoom

I'm Batman
Reaction score
the swamp thang absolutely slays the stock speaker, much tighter and less fizzy. you have to really slam them in at first but when they start to break in they sound really good. perfect for getting rid of that ear annoying fizz the 6505 can have, especially at higher volumes. below 2 it can sound a bit dark but these amps aren't at their best at fairly low volumes. (2 is still fairly loud though!)

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
6505/5150's are pretty middy amps so you can get away with dropping the mids a bit more than most other amps. i find mid settings over 6 can get a bit honky sounding with certain speakers, but it really depends on the band application and tone you're after. if you're the only guitarist in the band you can take them down pretty low and still get away with it...i'd usually set mine around 3 in that application. if you need a bit more cut, bring 'em up and you'll most certainly be heard.

the awesome thing about those amps is you can almost guarantee you'll be heard clearly in the mix with any reasonable settings. plus you can always max the mids on the amp for an instant "chainsaw" tone- bonus!

the amp doesnt NEED a boost, but I always found the extra compression a overdrive pedal adds to my liking with that amp. also, dont be afraid to try the green channel for rhythm - its a bit thicker sounding than the red, and boosted it's pretty fierce! :)

Latest posts

')