6505+ and POD HD Pro

• Thread starter anthonyfaso
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently purchased a POD HD Pro and I plan to use my 6505+ as a power amp for it. I was told my chain should go guitar -> POD HD Pro Input -> POD HD Pro Unbalanced Output -> Effects Return on the back of my 6505+; however, when I do it this way, I get no sound out of my POD. I tried going into my Preamp Out on the back of my 6505+ instead. This way gave me sound, but I can't control the volume on my head. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Also, I have the output settings set on the POD HD to Stack Power Amp, but everything else is factory settings. Do I need to mess with those? I appreciate the help!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently purchased a POD HD Pro and I plan to use my 6505+ as a power amp for it. I was told my chain should go guitar -> POD HD Pro Unbalanced Output -> Effects Return on the back of my 6505+; however, when I do it this way, I get no sound out of my POD. I tried going into my Preamp Out on the back of my 6505+ instead. This way gave me sound, but I can't control the volume on my head. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Also, I have the output settings set on the POD HD to Stack Power Amp, but everything else is factory settings. Do I need to mess with those? I appreciate the help!

Manuals | Line 6

The manual seems pretty detailed about your connection options.

Reaction score
Use the first option but plug your guitar into the Input of the Pod HD pro.

If the first method works, ignore this.
If it doesn't work, sometimes the amp needs something plugged into both parts of the FX Loop, so plug a cable or one of those headphone converters in the Preamp out.

Should solve any problems.

Reaction score
Manuals | Line 6

The manual seems pretty detailed about your connection options.

I've read the manuals. My friend is using this connection method for his ENGL Fireball with no problems, but I'm having issues with my 6505+.

My wording is confusing in my original post, but my guitar is plugged into the input of the POD. The next cable goes from the POD HD Unbalanced Output to my head. Sorry for the confusion, but I'll try your idea in the morning!

Reaction score
I've read the manuals. My friend is using this connection method for his ENGL Fireball with no problems, but I'm having issues with my 6505+.

My wording is confusing in my original post, but my guitar is plugged into the input of the POD. The next cable goes from the POD HD Unbalanced Output to my head. Sorry for the confusion, but I'll try your idea in the morning!

Maybe I should clarify. There are several different ways to utilize this device. You need to go into the patch menus of the processor and adjust the parameter settings to reflect your intentions. Plus, if I'm not mistaken there is a "4-cable method" to hook up the unit.

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. There are several different ways to utilize this device. You need to go into the patch menus of the processor and adjust the parameter settings to reflect your intentions. Plus, if I'm not mistaken there is a "4-cable method" to hook up the unit.

Ah, gotcha! This is my first time using something like this, so I'm not familiar with all of the settings. Thanks for the help! I'll try tinkering with some settings and trying the 4-cable method.

Reaction score
The 4 cable method worked, but it's not what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to bypass my 6505+ preamp. I've googled this and all I get are threads with the 4 cable method. Is this even possible?

Reaction score
The 4 cable method worked, but it's not what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to bypass my 6505+ preamp. I've googled this and all I get are threads with the 4 cable method. Is this even possible?

4CM is how you bypass the preamp section on your 6505+...

Maybe this will help you understand the methods used to achieve what you're looking for:

Community: THE FOUR CABLE METHOD (4CM) EXPLAINED

Reaction score
4CM is how you bypass the preamp section on your 6505+...

Maybe this will help you understand the methods used to achieve what you're looking for:

Community: THE FOUR CABLE METHOD (4CM) EXPLAINED

Okay, so it turns out the preamp tube in the V5 position, which controls the effects loop, was bad. I replaced that and everything works great! I'm able to go guitar -> guitar input on the POD HD Pro, Unbalanced Out -> Effects Return on the 6505+, as well as use the 4CM! Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it! :yesway:

Latest posts

')