6505+, cleans + versatility?????

• Thread starter goatLuke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Underworld

Reaction score
Get an EVH 5150 III mini. Awesome cleans, original 5150's lead channel, 1000$ brand new. Thank me later ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
Yea, I'd just suggest a 12at7 in the clean channel gain slot, and careful tone settings on your guitar. Roll it down and the cleans on the 6505 are definitely useable, though I can't honestly say I'm impressed with them. Great amp for what it does.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
Yea, I'd just suggest a 12at7 in the clean channel gain slot, and careful tone settings on your guitar. Roll it down and the cleans on the 6505 are definitely useable, though I can't honestly say I'm impressed with them. Great amp for what it does.

well thats easy enough to try. any specific brand tube better that you know of?

pearl_07

Reaction score
I currently have a Tung-Sol 12AT7 in V1 of my 6505+, and I'm happy with it do far. Tried JJ's, EHX's, and the Tung-Sol was my favorite.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I have a 6505+ and I'm very happy with the cleans. I run a DD-3 in the loop and I have absolutely no complaints.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Just get an eq pedal. I have a boss GE-7, and I have the sliders in a rough V shape, so that a lot of the mids are cut. If I do that and use a coil-splitting position, I can get a pretty good clean sound. Good enough to play country stuff with.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I get amazing cleans with a G Major into the FX Loop of my 6505+.

A little 'verb, a little delay and a drop of chorus with the EQ and cleans are better than ever.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
thanks fellas. I am gonna swap out the rhythm pre amp tube when a new one arrives and see what that does for me.

I run a eq in the loop already with a moderate v, and it helps but they just still arent very nice.

Attercop

Reaction score
I never found the 5150 II/6505+ cleans unusable if the green channel is dedicated to it. I use fairly low output pups, so I can get away with diming the gain, which really rounds out the tone. Try a lower gain preamp tube like a 12AU7 if you get too much breakup, it'll even have the added benefit of making the gain range on the red channel more usable. I don't have an issue with getting decent cleans with the neck pickup, but if you're still having issues: suck it up, get a chorus and a delay (if you're on a budget the delay and reverb are fairly redundant), run both in the FX loop, and deal with the two button switching.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I will be putting a 5751 in V6 soon along with an upgrade of a Tung-Sol in V1 and mallards in V2 & V3. Should be mighty tasty.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Honestly the EMGs are the bulk of your problem. That being said, delay and chorus does a great job of improving your cleans overall. I know you can't coil split an 85... but if you can maybe coil split a 60 or 81? Dunno if it's possible. But that would help for sure. Honestly though delay and chorus and maybe some verb would work WONDERS. I can show you what a difference it makes if you want me to whip up a quick demo later. Just let me know.

But yeah. And you would probably have to switch it with two buttons, yeah. Just set them next to eachother and get them in one stomp! If you do go the effects route though, I can recommend the TC Nova Delay (It has presets and you can tweak the delays quite a bit, even tonally.) or the Nova Repeater if you just need like one delay setting really. It can also put chorus on your delay repeats if you want. For reverb, a simple EHX Holy Grail will get the job done, but if you wanna really wow people anything that does "shimmer" or "octave up" reverb will do the job. Strymon makes THE shimmer but for a cheaper one Behringer and Line 6 make pretty much the EXACT same pedal as eachother for cheap. I recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla. For chorus just about anything will work, just make sure the effect is nice and water, not too leslie, use in moderation.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
A small, affordable and nice sounding head for cleans is the Ampeg PF350. It's a bass head that weighs about 6 pounds :D

You're all going to call my stupid, I know, but I LOVE using bass amps for cleans. They're just so fucking clean!

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
You could buy an effects processor, or atleast a chorus and delay pedal. Just my suggestion :)

ec1726

Reaction score
CRATE FLEXWAVE 120 HEAD has very good cleans for a solid state amplifier.

It's a couple of years old, i'm not sure what the current models is - since i've now upgraded to the 6505+. But i found the cleans (at lows-med levels) were much better than the peaveys cleans.

Although i've managed to TWEAK my clean settings to get a very rich tone now.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
A small, affordable and nice sounding head for cleans is the Ampeg PF350. It's a bass head that weighs about 6 pounds :D

You're all going to call my stupid, I know, but I LOVE using bass amps for cleans. They're just so fucking clean!

Very true! Bass amps have a beautiful clean tone for guitar:agreed: No breakup at all, though sometimes I like to have a dirtier clean that you just cant reach at a reasonable level with a bass amp

juice_74

Reaction score
I have a 5150II, I have the post gain maxed out for maximum head room and use the pre gain to control volume, just to deal with the breakup. I had a vintage boss CE-2 and a mxr carbon copy in the loop and my cleans started sounding heaps more lively. Now Ive added a compressor in there and I love my clean channel, adding a keeley compressor made the clean channel for me, one of the best purchases ive made. I have also had my amps bias resistor changed so I can get the tubes even warmer than the stock 6505/5150 which helped with both my high gain and clean tones.

The amp is known for having not so great cleans which it doesn't compared to a lot of other high gain amps, but if you sit down and take the time to tweak it and use the right gear, it becomes very usable and you get to keep that 5150 lead channel. Hope this helped!

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
I have a 5150II, I have the post gain maxed out for maximum head room and use the pre gain to control volume, just to deal with the breakup. I had a vintage boss CE-2 and a mxr carbon copy in the loop and my cleans started sounding heaps more lively. Now Ive added a compressor in there and I love my clean channel, adding a keeley compressor made the clean channel for me, one of the best purchases ive made. I have also had my amps bias resistor changed so I can get the tubes even warmer than the stock 6505/5150 which helped with both my high gain and clean tones.
I am going to try this route and see what I get. Gotta make the trek to GC and get a couple pedals. I also have a diff. preamp tune on order so im hoping to get something to work out.

')