6505 combo or Line 6 POD HD500

• Thread starter -Infidel-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Infidel-

Reaction score
I cant decide which one I should get lol. 6505(used) 112 or 212 or Line 6 POD HD500.

Love the sound of the 6505, the line 6 is okay sounding, but with so many more options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
not sure how to answer this one. There are a few pro's and cons for each of them (depending on your purposes of course).

When you buy the HD 500 you'll end up probably spending more money since you'll need a cab or good monitors + cab sims and a power amp. If you gofor the 6505 combo you might ant to replace the speaker. Of course that's all a matter of taste. If the stock speakers suit you well then by all means stick with them and save some money but I could never get a good tone out of one of the combo amps, while i can easily dial in a good tone on my 6505 head. Since speakers/ cab construction are the only huge difference I think I identified them as the culprit.

Shask

Reaction score
What will you plug the HD500 into? It doesn't do much by itself...:lol:

This is just something you will have to answer yourself. Do you want 1-2 great sounds, or several good sounds?

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
...do you want 1-2 great sounds, or several good sounds?

+1 for this. I used a 6505+ for about 2 years and loved the tone. A lot. But I have neither the patience nor the income (yet. yay for college) to buy pedals and other amps, so I ended up with the HD Pro, which is just the rackmount version of the 500. It does what I need it to do and it does it well :)

texshred777

Reaction score
I haven't owned a Pod HD, but owned a 5150 combo for a couple years.

If you get the 6505/5150, you may want to change out the speakers. While I didn't hate the tone they didn't do the amp justice. You'll also likely want to invest in a noise suppressor. I didn't run the gain terribly high(4 at the highest..which let's be honest is still pretty gainy) and always had a problem with hiss. I never ran a boost on it, but I know a lot of guys like to.

The clean wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good. Usable. I used my Fender for cleans and the 5150 for different levels of dirt. I also really liked the crunch channel. It's not as compressed as the lead channel(not better/worse, just different).

It was a really nice amp. I loved the closed back, the design(stupid thing to really praise, but I loved the look of the amp) and the brutal tone. Were I not sold on an Axe FX, and hadn't just sworn off big heavy tube combos I'd consider one again.

I agree with others, it comes down to if you want two awesome tones or a bunch of good ones.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I cant get enough of my 6505 212. The 212s are the best in the 6505 series, IMO...Heres a clip...stock speakers and all....

ToneFinder

')