6505+ Effects Loop Help

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
Whenever I switch to the effects loop of my 6505+ it gives a loud pop then has a dramatic volume drop. when I click off it gives another pop and a high pitched squeal/chirp.

The only effect I have tried in the loop is a L6 Echo Park and the effect does not work in the loop. The very whisper quite tone that comes through when the loop is engaged has no delay to it at all.

I did all the trouble shooting I could think of. did the obvious and made sure the damn pedal was powered and that it was plugged in correctly(Send to send, return to return) made sure since it's stereo that I had the inputs in mono, and still no success.:wallbash:

I am thinking my effects loop has shit out...but this is something I noticed wrong within the 1st month...I have now had it 3mos and tried it again for the second time today with the same results.

Any Ideas what may be causing said phenomenon? I asked someone else a while back when I first noticed this and they said the tube that drives the loop may be bad...but the amp is otherwise uneffected and sounds fine.

I want to figure this out because I want to add my delay into the loop as well as a noise supressor in the near future but without a remedy I don't see how I'll be doing that.

HELP?!:eek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
is the amp under warranty?

I run my ISP out front, works wonders.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Try cleaning the jack for the effects loop. Spray some contact cleaner in it and fuck the shit out of it with the plug. Should hopefully take care of it. Also I agree with Justin. Run the gate in front of the amp.

SuperD

Reaction score
Try cleaning the jack for the effects loop. Spray some contact cleaner in it and fuck the shit out of it with the plug. Should hopefully take care of it. Also I agree with Justin. Run the gate in front of the amp.

+1.

Do this first...

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestions, but running in front does not remedy the problem I am having with the loop.

I dont know if cleaning the jack is the remedy as it is basically new.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
So...after a bit more trouble shooting the damn thing works. Still have the issue with the volume though.

When engaged the volume drops considerably to about half the original signal and it seems that there is bit of a clip to it even making the clean channel a bit dirty. As far as the effect goes I much prefere the way it sounds after the preamp as opposed to in front of it like I've always used it.

So...it looks like this amp doesn't have a way to set level on the loop...what the hell am I supposed to do to get my volume back/increase volume when effects are engaged? The Echo Park does not have a level control so I cant turn it up there...so I fixed one dilemma to find another:realmad:

To answer questions about running the noise supressor in the loop its because I want it to eliminate any extra noise before it hits the poweramp. the other way you are eliminating noise before it reaches the pre and whatever noise created by the interaction between you amp and effects remains and is just amplified once it hits the poweramp. In short, all noise must go before the poweramp, that is why I want it in the loop.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
Just made a call to Peavey and they gave me a way to see if my issue was my effect(which I suspected it was not) or the actual loop(again, which I suspected) and sure enough it is the amps effects loop that has shit out.

now I am in a bit of a situation because I don't know if I should trust GC(who I took out an extended service plan with) or Peavey to handle the service work.:noplease:

UPDATE: If you ever have an issue with a peavey product just give em a call. easy and personable customer service. Glad I didn't have to deal with the GC bastards. Why I ever do business with them...well, I guess I have 3500 reasons...

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously dude in 80% of effects loop problems on 5150/6505 amps is a dirty jack new amp or old. It takes 2 minutes to clean it before possibly wasting your time sending it out for service. I would rather waste 2 minutes trying to clean it and it not be the issue than the other way around.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
any particular contact cleaner you would reccomend? shit...might as well give everything a shot

UPDATE: would you believe that going through the entire rig I found it to be one of my 1/4" patch cables is the culprit?:wallbash::facepalm:

I'm off to have the thing replaced. should be all good from there.:noplease:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
At least it was something simple and cheap. Always check your cables first.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine actually gets louder when engaged (annoyed that there are not volumes for send/return like on the xxx :noplease:) .

also, mine makes some weird humming noises when my pedals are one (even if the effects loop is switched off), and i get a weird background squeal when the noise suppressor is engaged in front. When it is off, there is the normal "high gain channel is on" without feedback, but goes away when the noise gate is on and is replaced by that weird squeal. I think it is the wiring in the basement we're in, though.

')