6505 grill mod

• Thread starter jamesy_pwd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering, can doing this affect my sound? it seems a silly question, what i did a few months ago is take out the wooden panel from the front of the amp so u could see the insides, looks really nice, but can it affect my sound? coz i dunno, there just doesnt seem to be as much bottom end as before, theres more circulation inside but that wouldnt "cool the tubes down" would it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
If it's the head, that won't change it.. as far as I know at least. Only opening the speaker cabinet or modifying it in any way would in terms of taking pieces of wood and stuff off.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
If it's the head, that won't change it.. as far as I know at least. Only opening the speaker cabinet or modifying it in any way would in terms of taking pieces of wood and stuff off.

yeah its the head, and i just took off the front wooden panel (what the badges are mounted on)

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
yeah its the head, and i just took off the front wooden panel (what the badges are mounted on)
Did you try placing it back to see? It shouldn't affect the amp at all, if anything it should give better air circulation to keep the tubes cool and prevent overheating (I don't know why they don't make the front of the 6505+ have a metal grille like the valveking100s..)

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
Did you try placing it back to see? It shouldn't affect the amp at all, if anything it should give better air circulation to keep the tubes cool and prevent overheating (I don't know why they don't make the front of the 6505+ have a metal grille like the valveking100s..)

haha, can't put it back in, kinda had to cut the wood :\, easiest way of doing it, but hmm

Rotatous

Reaction score
Probably just a placebo effect of some sort. I wouldn't worry about it, that is unless you accidently tampered with something else while inside the head (bias, possibly?).

Dr Love

Expert
Reaction score
if anything it should give better air circulation to keep the tubes cool and prevent overheating
Maybe it was the overheating that gave you the bottom end you like. Seriously though, did you move the cab away from the wall or out of a corner?

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
well, its normally not to bad at home.... but at band prac it always falls flat on its ass, and when i played at battle of the bands it sounded really tinny

col

blah.
Reaction score
well, its normally not to bad at home.... but at band prac it always falls flat on its ass, and when i played at battle of the bands it sounded really tinny

That's what the resonance and presence controls are there for. You need to re-adjust the eq depending on the space you're playing in.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
That explains it then. Acoustics will affect your tone alot, so you need to keep the place you're playing in in mind. Like previously mentioned, the resonance and presence are there to balance things out typically.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
hmm, i dunno, probz not the best practicing room i guess, its all, tile floor, blah walls, pretty big room though, get 2 half stacks bass rig and drums in there along with beds and couch's, its the drummers room ahahah. anyway, i normally pump the bass at like 8 or something and resonance at about 7,

Reaction score
hmm, i dunno, probz not the best practicing room i guess, its all, tile floor, blah walls, pretty big room though, get 2 half stacks bass rig and drums in there along with beds and couch's, its the drummers room ahahah. anyway, i normally pump the bass at like 8 or something and resonance at about 7,

Resonance at 7 and bass at 8 - that shouldn't sound thin at all, more like a muddy mess unless you're playing in a concrete room. What kind of cab/speakers are you going through? What are your treble and presence set at and how do you have your mids dialed in??

Latest posts

')