6505+ HELP

• Thread starter MChadwick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MChadwick

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am pretty new to here. I do a lot of reading but not really any post. But I think I could use a little help.

I have a 6505+ and I'm just not getting the tone I'd like to get. I believe it can get it and I've tried some stuff including OD's. But I just can't seem to get out of it the sound I'm going for. I am a rythm player in a death metal type band. But I focus more to the heavy area of the band. I'm trying to get tone that resonates and and is just a good heavy tone.
I play out of a 1960b cab and I play a ibanez 7321 w/ a 707 in the bridge and tune to G#. If that helps you understand what I'm working with here. I am pretty broke as well so if we can factor that into the suggestions as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
First of all. Tell us what is wrong with your tone now? What there is in your tone that you don't like?

I'd say sell the cab, and buy one with V30's. I find it tighten the low end, so sound is "chuggier",and therefore better for metal rythming.

MChadwick

Reaction score
The chuggier type stuff is what I am wanting.
I've been looking into a mesa 4x12 with v30's but cant find one for an affordable price around me. I search about everyday so sooner or later one will turn up. I was also interested in the randall xl with v30's.

But my problem is when I chug it doesn't resonate. It falls pretty flat. No matter what I try (with what I have).

Also any suggestion on how I can cut the feedback of the amp back.
I have two ns2's. One in the loop. The other after the ts9.

And it doesn't help with having the ts9 on.

Thanks Speedy for the help.

Speedy

Reaction score
The chuggier type stuff is what I am wanting.
I've been looking into a mesa 4x12 with v30's but cant find one for an affordable price around me. I search about everyday so sooner or later one will turn up. I was also interested in the randall xl with v30's.

But my problem is when I chug it doesn't resonate. It falls pretty flat. No matter what I try (with what I have).

Also any suggestion on how I can cut the feedback of the amp back.
I have two ns2's. One in the loop. The other after the ts9.

And it doesn't help with having the ts9 on.

Thanks Speedy for the help.

With the feedback problem, try to avoid to pups to face your cab. It will squeel immedietily. Then again, try to take some gain away. It will help with the feedback, and actually tighten the sound. What are your settings on the head?

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
i think you need a new cab. not sayin the Marshall cabs are bad, they just arent gonna give you the beef and resonance you are lookin for. a cab with Vintage 30s will make that amp roar the way you want it to, those speakers work beautifully with these amps. if you can find a Mesa cab for a good price then go with it, otherwise i would say just go with the Randall XL or an Avatar cab. either will get you that tone for a decent price and will come with V30s.

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
Peavey 6505+, Marshall 1960B, Ibanez RG7 with EMG's tuned super low, AND a TS-9 going in yet you cannot get your chugging to resonate?

Technique and chord choice dude.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
First thing's first:

what are all of your settings?

Reaction score
dude one ns-2 can handle what you need ditch one and run the x pattern, it works great, keep screwing with your eq go back and forth with resonance and bass a little. may tighten it a bit

MChadwick

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long.
My computer at the house is on the fritz.
bass 7 mids 3 treble 8 pre 6 post 3 or 4 depends on the band setting that day.
And Res 8 and pres 4.

I am at work so I don't have my rig right in front of me so these are guesses and they have changed a lot. I'm just getting use to this amp and I can only use it at the practice space. I live in an apartment.

I have a home setup that I have sounding pretty great.
And robotsatemygma I am very sure its not the tech. I am not saying I am a great player but I am a solid player. That's why I'm actually asking for help on this. Cause I was stumped. I thought I could ask a few people with a little more experience with what I'm faced with. So no need to call anyone out on their abilities.

But I have been looking into getting a Mesa ever since I have obtained this amp just as I stated earlier bills and stuff have hinder the ability to afford one.

But thanks to all of you have gave positive feedback. I appreciate it. And 155 I have heard a lot about the x pattern I was thinking of investing in 2 V30's and using the cross pattern with the g12-75 already in 1960b. And I have played a few 6505's and mine seems to be a little extra noisey. I bought new. And have done the basic run down of checking cables and such.

Also I played my rig yesterday and I am starting to think the NS-2 may be the reason to why nothing will resonate as I'd like. It seems to just fall short of what I'm wanting to do.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I already see the problem lol.

ditch the NS-2 for a sec.
crunch channel
Bass: 5
Mids: 6
Treble: 5
Resonance: 4
Presence: 4
Pre: 4

Tubescreamer:
Drive: 0
Tone: 5
Level: 10

If that isn't chug and resonant, I'm not sure what to tell you. Your bassist provides the low end, as does your drummer's bass drum - so your bassist should have a bass tone that compliments your rhythm guitar tone, and the two of your tones should work together to sound huge and chunky if that's what you're after.

If you want resonance, then you don't need to set the thresh-hold high on the NS-2 at all.

')