6505 needs love too & no boost

• Thread starter Grooven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grooven

Reaction score
I have a 6505 MH which is pretty much the smaller brother to the 6505 and + but mainly to the 6505.And I've noticed that their very little clips to almost non as oppose to the + where theres dozen of those on youtube,I'm saying all this to say 2 things.1 is I want to hear some clips of a 6505 in a mix setting or raw no boost. I know many bands have used the amp but I think they all used some kind of boost,not really sure though,but I'm sure yall will clear things up for me lol

And 2 is do you guys think that the whole boosting thing has taken on as a trend,like everyone kinda sounds the same, you know?Idk I know you guys are goin wtf is this guy on lol

PS.I watch too many damn 5153 vids lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
You’re post is confusing to me. You own a 6505 Mini; but want to see videos of 120w 6505 heads? Just look for 5150 block and script heads if that the case. All the same exact amp with different (from factory) power tubes and labeling.

No amp needs a boost, but it can alter the tone that many people enjoy. You can run your amp however you want to. Think of a clean boost as a bass cut (makes it more tight) mid boost (heard in a mix) and increase in saturation. If you feel like you want those qualities, then a clean boost can quickly get you there. If you like how your palm mutes track, the notes sustain, and are cutting through the band mix, then don’t worry about a boost unless you use one for a volume bump for solos.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I see what you’re saying. You feel the 6505 mini is more closely related to the 6505 and NOT the 6505+. That said you’re trying to to find demo vids of different boosts through 6505’s (not 6505+’s) to see what might work for your Mini.

When it comes to boosts i feel that demos are not the most useful. However, the baseline for comparing boosts/overdrives is the Tubescreamer. I would suggest trying a tubescreamer first to give your ears a baseline then start trying different OD’s.

And imho i don’t think boosting is a trend. Boosting helps get more definition and chunk out of most high gain amps. There are a few really killer amps out there that don’t need a boost at all but, for the most part a boost/OD does a world of good for your high gain tones. Just my opinion of course

Grooven

Reaction score
You’re post is confusing to me. You own a 6505 Mini; but want to see videos of 120w 6505 heads? Just look for 5150 block and script heads if that the case. All the same exact amp with different (from factory) power tubes and labeling.

No amp needs a boost, but it can alter the tone that many people enjoy. You can run your amp however you want to. Think of a clean boost as a bass cut (makes it more tight) mid boost (heard in a mix) and increase in saturation. If you feel like you want those qualities, then a clean boost can quickly get you there. If you like how your palm mutes track, the notes sustain, and are cutting through the band mix, then don’t worry about a boost unless you use one for a volume bump for solos.
Sorry bout the confusion dude and I know how 5150s sound loads of people have demos of them but I'm looking for a unboosted sound and I know bout the clean boost I have a ts knock off

Grooven

Reaction score
I see what you’re saying. You feel the 6505 mini is more closely related to the 6505 and NOT the 6505+. That said you’re trying to to find demo vids of different boosts through 6505’s (not 6505+’s) to see what might work for your Mini.

When it comes to boosts i feel that demos are not the most useful. However, the baseline for comparing boosts/overdrives is the Tubescreamer. I would suggest trying a tubescreamer first to give your ears a baseline then start trying different OD’s.

And imho i don’t think boosting is a trend. Boosting helps get more definition and chunk out of most high gain amps. There are a few really killer amps out there that don’t need a boost at all but, for the most part a boost/OD does a world of good for your high gain tones. Just my opinion of course
Thanks for the reply and yeah but I'm looking for a unboosted sound which you know is kinda rare and I own a od pedal it tightens it up but I kinda feel like it takes away or kinda changes the overall dna of the amp idk how to really explain it

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Still confused :lol: You want to hear unboosted clips of the amp you already own? Or you want to buy the full size head but can’t find unboosted clips?

KailM

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and yeah but I'm looking for a unboosted sound which you know is kinda rare and I own a od pedal it tightens it up but I kinda feel like it takes away or kinda changes the overall dna of the amp idk how to really explain it

Most people, including myself, boost them -- and they sound better that way. :lol:

The original 5150/6505 is a thundering beast with gobs of low end, and has a somewhat loose response just plugged straight in. An OD cleans up some of that excessive low end before the preamp, but then you can add some back in with the bass and resonance knobs. Unboosted, you have to run those settings much more conservatively.

On top of that, you should run an EQ pedal in the loop to further sculpt your already-distorted tone. That turns it into a raging monster. I have had almost every iteration of the 5150 and have tried almost every approach to pedals/boosting/unboosted, etc.

I have never heard anything meaner and more pissed-off sounding than my 6505 head, boosted, and with my favorite EQ curve dialed-in on my MXR 10-band. Without the pedals, it can sound great -- but with them it's a whole new level.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
people have been boosting amps for like 40 years or more, it's not a trend :lol:
some amps just sound better with boosts (dual and triple rectos basically require a boost imo). If kail says the 6505 needs a boost, then I believe him, he talks about the damn amp all the time :lol:

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Most of overdrives tend to "colour" the sound, if you want to boost your amp while retaining his character try a clean boost pedal instead a tube screamer. A Klon Centaur type of pedal may help you.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Go with KailM on this one. He IS the 6505 authority here. Hell, he should have that and a Black Winter badge or something. If there's a post about a 6505 or Black Winters, bet your sweet ass that KailM will be there.

KailM

Reaction score
Go with KailM on this one. He IS the 6505 authority here. Hell, he should have that and a Black Winter badge or something. If there's a post about a 6505 or Black Winters, bet your sweet ass that KailM will be there.

I should probably stop posting about them so much, haha. I just really like my 6505s/5150s and of course, the greatest pickup ever invented. What has worked for me may or may not work for others. One thing I still need to do to my 6505 is the bias mod. Could be a still have even better tone to unlock.

Basically, I'd encourage everyone to experiment with their rigs as much as possible. Regarding the boosting of 5150s, I'm sure somebody can get awesome tone out of one without it. I've come to realize that tone really is in your hands most of the time, once the rig tone is in the right ballpark for you. Once you find your tone, you might be able to get it on more than one rig. For example, I don't boost my 5150 III on the red channel -- it sounds just right unboosted. It sounds almost the same as my 6505 with a boost. Experiment.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I should probably stop posting about them so much, haha. I just really like my 6505s/5150s and of course, the greatest pickup ever invented. What has worked for me may or may not work for others. One thing I still need to do to my 6505 is the bias mod. Could be a still have even better tone to unlock.

Basically, I'd encourage everyone to experiment with their rigs as much as possible. Regarding the boosting of 5150s, I'm sure somebody can get awesome tone out of one without it. I've come to realize that tone really is in your hands most of the time, once the rig tone is in the right ballpark for you. Once you find your tone, you might be able to get it on more than one rig. For example, I don't boost my 5150 III on the red channel -- it sounds just right unboosted. It sounds almost the same as my 6505 with a boost. Experiment.

I'd keep on if I were you. It helps the many who buy these amps to have someone to guide them to get the most out of them. You're doing them a service.

Edika

Reaction score
I can get a great unboosted sound out of my 5150II but reducing the gain and adding the clean boost makes things a lot more defined and saturated.

Grooven

Reaction score
Still confused :lol: You want to hear unboosted clips of the amp you already own? Or you want to buy the full size head but can’t find unboosted clips?
I've settled on keeping the boost in the chain but I turned down the level down to clean things up and not push a already hi gain amp too much. Also turned down the pres to 4 another reason why it sounded weird with the ts, bumped up the res to 7.5.

Grooven

Reaction score
I can get a great unboosted sound out of my 5150II but reducing the gain and adding the clean boost makes things a lot more defined and saturated.
Yeah dude I just really like the idea of goin straight into the amp but yea the od pedal cleans it up alot there's no denying it sounds better with it

Grooven

Reaction score
Most people, including myself, boost them -- and they sound better that way. :lol:

The original 5150/6505 is a thundering beast with gobs of low end, and has a somewhat loose response just plugged straight in. An OD cleans up some of that excessive low end before the preamp, but then you can add some back in with the bass and resonance knobs. Unboosted, you have to run those settings much more conservatively.

On top of that, you should run an EQ pedal in the loop to further sculpt your already-distorted tone. That turns it into a raging monster. I have had almost every iteration of the 5150 and have tried almost every approach to pedals/boosting/unboosted, etc.

I have never heard anything meaner and more pissed-off sounding than my 6505 head, boosted, and with my favorite EQ curve dialed-in on my MXR 10-band. Without the pedals, it can sound great -- but with them it's a whole new level.
Consider me a member of Team Boosted

')