6505 or 6505+ for 8string ?

Gmork

Reaction score
im getting one of these heads soon. im leaning more towards
the 6505 due to it having more lower mids making it thicker, "meatier".
ive read up as much as i can about the two and often come across someone saying that the 6505 is too "woofy/boomy" in the
low end. is .... gonna get all muddy in the low end? i really think i
want the 6505 but cant stop thinking about this. factor in that i play an 8 string (rg8 w/BKpainkiller pu) and you can see why my decision is
going back and forth like a vibrating 8th string. if i can i will obviously
bring my guitar and try both but there is a good chance that may not be an option. any educated opinions on this? thanks in advance. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobbYoung

Psalm Mutes End Wars
Reaction score
I have a 6505+. Albeit I was looking for a more "Mids-heavy" sound for my 8 string, but I feel it still has enough low end punch, without feeling saggy of loose on the bottom. I'd say any more and it wouldn't feel as tight to play, and while you could round that out by adjusting resonance/using pedals, the 6505+ feels perfect on its own. I can't get a bad sound out of it (except maybe when trying a fender clean :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
You've got a tight/aggressive pickup, so I wouldn't worry about the regular 6505 flubbing out at all, especially with a boost. I have a 6505 combo (not the plus) and a friend has a block letter 5150, and they both hold low tunings really well and kick all kinds of ass for metal rhythm.

Either amp will be good for what you're doing, it just comes down to taste. The 6505 is a little more aggressive/grunty while the 6505+ has the mids shifted upwards a bit and is more "controlled" overall.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
I think you gotta look at what cab you are gonna be using too. I got a Peavey 6505+ with a mesa recto cab, and I have no problems with lower tuning (7 string drop down to A drop) the OD808 in the front can help with the tightness of the sound

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, check out an EVH 5150 iii. I had a 6505+ for years, and I think you'd probably be happy with that, but I recently sold it and picked up a 50 watt 5153 and I like it better for lower tuned stuff. The 5153 is tighter in the low end than the 6505 or the 6505+ IMO.

With a boost though, the 6505 or 6505+ would do what you want. Do you care about cleans? If so then you're best bet is the EVH or the 6505+, with the EVH having the better clean channel.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Either should sound awesome :yesway:

Tbh, despite often reading about it as an issue, I've been hard pressed to find any high gain head that doesn't "hold up" for 7/8 strings. Ymmv

My other guitarists rocks a 6534+ with a 7 in drop g, sounds great. Might be another one to check out since you're scoping that family of amps

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either should sound awesome :yesway:

Tbh, despite often reading about it as an issue, I've been hard pressed to find any high gain head that doesn't "hold up" for 7/8 strings. Ymmv

My other guitarists rocks a 6534+ with a 7 in drop g, sounds great. Might be another one to check out since you're scoping that family of amps

Agreed. I think the issue some guys run into with 7/8 strings or lower tunings in general is that they are playing 100w tube heads at bedroom volumes expecting to get the low end clarity that comes with more volume. While some amps are better than others at pulling off good tones at low volumes, your best defined low end will come with more volume. I am able to run my EVH at considerably less volume than I could with my 6505+ and still get a nice tone.

Gmork

Reaction score
Doubt anyone is familiar with it but I use a Traynor custom special 4x12 w/v30s. Which I hear work wonders with the 5150 line. I don't care at all about cleans , my rg8 is tuned standard. And I play ...i suppose it's label would be technical brutal death metal. You know... Chugging, quick single note runs, weird chords. And rare little spooky clean parts. That don't need to sound like Eric Clapton lol Etc.like suffocation mixed with necrophagist mixed with black metal, oh...also I'd be cranking it with my band. Search TERMINAL SEQUENCE on face book. Sorry id post a link but I'm on my phone, oh also I'd be boosting with a Macon supertube 9 pro+!

flaik

Reaction score
Doubt anyone is familiar with it but I use a Traynor custom special 4x12 w/v30s. Which I hear work wonders with the 5150 line. I don't care at all about cleans , my rg8 is tuned standard. And I play ...i suppose it's label would be technical brutal death metal. You know... Chugging, quick single note runs, weird chords. And rare little spooky clean parts. That don't need to sound like Eric Clapton lol Etc.like suffocation mixed with necrophagist mixed with black metal, oh...also I'd be cranking it with my band. Search TERMINAL SEQUENCE on face book. Sorry id post a link but I'm on my phone, oh also I'd be boosting with a Macon supertube 9 pro+!

5150 will be perfect for you.
I've got the same guitar as you with similar pickups and a boost going into a 5150 I also play similar music :shred: haha.
For me it's perfect. unless you looking for a super specific tone it should be great.