6505+ vs Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier

SkylineNick29

Reaction score
Im in the market looking to upgrade my amp rig. right now currently use the Peavey Valveking halfstack and i absolutely love the tone i have. right now my primary guitar is a PRS tremonti SE loaded with the PRS Tremonti bridge and neck pickups. i play drop C and drop B tunings as well so i feel like the valveking still keeps a clean but heavey distortion tone. ive got my eye on the 6505+ and a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier Solo head. i wanna know the pros and cons of both amps. as far as pedals i run fulltime a noise supressor and compression sustainer. soloing i use a morley wah pedal and a Boss overdrive pedal. just wondering if anyone can give me some feedback and or and negativity for each amp. money really isnt the issue. im looking in the used market anyways. give some feedback!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
What kind of tone are you after?

The 6505 will be more plug and play friendly, but won't be quite as versatile.

For metal and most definitely prefer the peavey, and i own both a 6505 and a T-Rec.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Go with the 6505+ dude. 100 million metal heads cant be wrong! lol. Plus if you are satisfied with the Valveking then you'll be FLOORED by the 6505+ :agreed: If you're a long time Peavey user, i would think the transition from Peavey to Mesa would be a very hard thing to get used to.

cgraci

Reaction score
Its def a preference but I have a triple rect and I heard a 6505 and I think the triple sounds better. Love the chainsaw sound

nutsock

Reaction score

For metal and most definitely prefer the peavey, and i own both a 6505 and a T-Rec.

this^ i have both aswell.ive always been a fan of peaveys distortion.the triple rect def. requires a little more tweaking,but im still about 50/50 between the two

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Go with the 6505+ dude. 100 million metal heads cant be wrong! lol.

Yeah, that's 100 million broke-ass metal heads that can't afford a Recto. And there's nothing wrong with that. I mean no offense, the 5150/6505 is a great amp in it's own right.

But I swear a Triple Recto has BALLS. It's insane.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
I've owned a 5150 in the past and currently own a dual rectifier. I love the 5150/6505, but I just was in need of a different tone and the rectifier was the ticket. You can't go wrong with either one. The 6505 is a more mid based sound amp that is pretty much a plug in and play, while the rectifier is more bottom heavy with a huge wall of sound. The rectifier will take some tweaking to get a nice tone though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what you do:

you go try them side by side through the same cab.

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
6505+ for me, i miss mine, i had both and the peavey just kills even with all in 5.

Why i sold it? Egnater Armageddon, in the mix eated with no effort both.

K.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
You sound pretty happy with what you have. A new amp could change your mind about the VK, or it could show you just how much you love the VK. After owning and selling over a dozen sweet head over the years, I still have my first tube head.. because it rocks like I want it to rock.

I'd be interested in knowing if you've ever heard in person or played the TRec or 6505+? If not, I definitely wouldnt narrow things down to 2 amps. Having owned both, I'd choose the more focused dirt tone of the 6505+ for tight Metal tone, prolly the broader sounding TRec for Rock, but I'd take a MarkIV or V over both.. for both Metal or Rock.. tone and versatility. I still have the 6505+, the TRec is long gone, and I wish i didnt have to sell the MarkIV when I did.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Both have a pretty similar tone, IMO. Throw a boost in front of either one and I'm sure you'll have nearly identical tones. The Recto's cleans blow the 6505's out of the water though.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score

This, exactly. You can set the 6505 to pretty much anything and it will sound good. The Rectifier takes more work, but that means it has a wider range of sounds.

As far as affordability goes, the Peavey can be had for about half the price of the Mesa, both new and used. They're also incredibly reliable. You can knock it off your stack and it will probably still function. I've never used a Mesa, but they're great amps, too.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Triple will be tighter, has great cleans and more gain than one could ever need.

But you must run them pretty loud to sound their best, it's the only 'problem' I have found with them.

guitarguyMT

Reaction score
..... as far as pedals i run fulltime a noise supressor and compression sustainer....

I run the exact same two pedals full time through my Triple Rec, and I literally could not be happier with an amp right now. I'm running it through a 2x12 Recto cab currently. The beastliness of the lows and crisp definition, even when at a really high gain, is phenomenal. The FX loop run through the back gives you an awful lot of options as well, and with the three channels it's a hell of a versatile amp. As far as compared to the Peavey... I've played through a 5150 for few runs on a buddies rig, but never a 6505, so I don't wanna say anything much about the Peavey because I literally don't know much :lol: