6505MH or PRS MT-15?

• Thread starter Millul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Well, I got my rig earlier today, hooked everything up and...it's LOUD AF :banana::banana::banana:

By that, I mean it gets close to "neighbours banging on the wall" with the volume at 8 o'clock, and clearly it doesn't sound as good as it could at that level (still way better than my THX).
It also gets louder REAL QUICK from there - this thing can surely hang with a drummer/be used for rehearsal and gigs (if you don't need a clean sound, as it runs out of headroom fast there).

Plenty of gain, and a shit ton of bass as well.

Step 1 will be trying to see what I can do with the famed "eq in the loop" setup; I'll also look at that Joyo 8" cab, just because.

Yeah, might need to go the cab sim/monitor route :coffee: let's see.
Also I've heard these Bantamps are extra bassy to compensate for the 8" speaker cab so a 12 may be too big for the apartment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Millul

Reaction score
My understanding was that the "bassiness" would have been an issue with a 2x12, not with a 1x12, but it definitely makes sense for them to voice their amp to match their cab.

I think I'll eventually get that if i can't find a reasonable comprmise with an eq (wondering if it makes sense to keep also the 1x12, in the remote chance of ever gigging/jamming again)

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
My understanding was that the "bassiness" would have been an issue with a 2x12, not with a 1x12, but it definitely makes sense for them to voice their amp to match their cab.

I think I'll eventually get that if i can't find a reasonable comprmise with an eq (wondering if it makes sense to keep also the 1x12, in the remote chance of ever gigging/jamming again)
If you have space, why not?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
My Ultra 120 does whisper quiet great. Set it on end if it takes up too much space. And if you're a bedroom player, you're never moving it anyway.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Well, I got my rig earlier today, hooked everything up and...it's LOUD AF :banana::banana::banana:

By that, I mean it gets close to "neighbours banging on the wall" with the volume at 8 o'clock, and clearly it doesn't sound as good as it could at that level (still way better than my THX).
It also gets louder REAL QUICK from there - this thing can surely hang with a drummer/be used for rehearsal and gigs (if you don't need a clean sound, as it runs out of headroom fast there).

Plenty of gain, and a shit ton of bass as well.

Step 1 will be trying to see what I can do with the famed "eq in the loop" setup; I'll also look at that Joyo 8" cab, just because.

Yeah, might need to go the cab sim/monitor route :coffee: let's see.
My Zombie II just got here. It is freezing cold though so I am going to let it warm up to room temperature on its own before plugging it in and testing. The size is perfect though. I am already liking it better than the Blackstar simply because it's got much more features in an even smaller package. Dedicated controls for each channel. FX loop. Comes with a footswitch.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it, I'll be ordering the matching cab today.
Ok I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours. With the Blackstar 1x10 cab and plugged into a little bluetooth home audio speaker thing from the headphones output.

I fucking love this thing. It has shit tons of gain. More gain than I will ever use. Which is refreshing coming from my last few rigs having to have the shit boosted out of them making them noisy af just to get the gain this thing puts out with the knob at 10 o'clock.

The tone knob eq is way more useful than the Blackstar version. I've got useable tones across the spectrum.

Now about playing in a European block flat with neighbors sharing a wall and the wife in the living room. It's certainly doable with the cab. However, it's really really bass heavy and you can't turn the volume up very much before it gets too loud. I have an eq pedal I put in the fx loop and cut the bass and the master sliders. This made it much less bass heavy and allowed to turn the volume knob up more without getting too loud.

However, I think I like it better going from the headphone output into the boom box. I can get that really cranked sound at really reasonable home levels.

Oh, the clean channel is crystal clear sterile clean. Just what I want from a clean channel.

I'm going to keep messing with it and see if I change my mind about anything. But so far this thing is perfect.

Millul

Reaction score
Ok I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours. With the Blackstar 1x10 cab and plugged into a little bluetooth home audio speaker thing from the headphones output.

I fucking love this thing. It has shit tons of gain. More gain than I will ever use. Which is refreshing coming from my last few rigs having to have the shit boosted out of them making them noisy af just to get the gain this thing puts out with the knob at 10 o'clock.

The tone knob eq is way more useful than the Blackstar version. I've got useable tones across the spectrum.

Now about playing in a European block flat with neighbors sharing a wall and the wife in the living room. It's certainly doable with the cab. However, it's really really bass heavy and you can't turn the volume up very much before it gets too loud. I have an eq pedal I put in the fx loop and cut the bass and the master sliders. This made it much less bass heavy and allowed to turn the volume knob up more without getting too loud.

However, I think I like it better going from the headphone output into the boom box. I can get that really cranked sound at really reasonable home levels.

Oh, the clean channel is crystal clear sterile clean. Just what I want from a clean channel.

I'm going to keep messing with it and see if I change my mind about anything. But so far this thing is perfect.

Yeah, I really lke the gain and the basic tone as well.
I'd prefer the classic 3-knobs eq, but the tone knob here works reasonably well, and I was abel as well to tame the "bassiness" with an eq pedal.
The V30 loaded cab is still overkill though.

I've ordered the matching camb, let's see how that fares.

Which boom box are you usibg? I can try to run this thing either through a JBL Charge 3, a set of Bose speakers, or also the aux in of the THX.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Yeah, I really lke the gain and the basic tone as well.
I'd prefer the classic 3-knobs eq, but the tone knob here works reasonably well, and I was abel as well to tame the "bassiness" with an eq pedal.
The V30 loaded cab is still overkill though.

I've ordered the matching camb, let's see how that fares.

Which boom box are you usibg? I can try to run this thing either through a JBL Charge 3, a set of Bose speakers, or also the aux in of the THX.
Try them all to see what works best. The one I'm using is some cheap ass little blue and orange thing the size of a 500ml beer bottle. We got it to play lullabies to the kid at night in his room. I just took it over for testing purposes. I will probably order a more manly looking black one maybe a little bigger with an eq on it.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I played around with it for another couple of hours today. I definitely like it through the bluetooth speaker better than the Blackstar cab. For my home use anyway. Through the cab I have to keep the volume knob very low and it feels like it doesn't come alive as much. With the bluetooth speaker I can crank up the volume on the amp and adjust the the speaker volume as needed. So I can get that throaty grindy cranked up sound at low volumes.

Millul

Reaction score
Tried it today through my Charge 3, not bad.
Will give it a go through the THX aux in as well, but honestly I'm eager to hear how it sounds through the 8" Bantcab (which will hopefully be here tomorrow).
A midboost for leads would make this thing the whole package, but if the Bantcab takes care of the volume and bass, I can use the equlizer for that.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Tried it today through my Charge 3, not bad.
Will give it a go through the THX aux in as well, but honestly I'm eager to hear how it sounds through the 8" Bantcab (which will hopefully be here tomorrow).
A midboost for leads would make this thing the whole package, but if the Bantcab takes care of the volume and bass, I can use the equlizer for that.
Let me know how the Bantcab compares when you get it. I am still considering it, but if it isn't a significant improvement over home audio speakers, I will just use that money for something else like a pedal or something.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For what I like the mt15 all day. One of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

Millul

Reaction score
Well, the Bantcab got here...but it won't stay long.
It sucks, bad - it makes the Bantamp sound buzzy AF, and solves exactly zero of the volume issues. Grateful for return policies, here :banana:.

So far, the way I like it the most is still through the V30 loaded cab with an eq in the loop, then from the headphones out through a JBL Charge3, then through the THX Aux in.
I've tried it through my Bose ST10 as well, but there is a weird latency there I couldn't get rid of.

Headphones out through a good monitors set would probably sound the best, but I don't have them...

Honestly I'm kinda on the fence over the whole endavour, I mght be looking for an alternative (pre or modeler through monitirs is what's on my mind).

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Honestly I'm kinda on the fence over the whole endavour, I mght be looking for an alternative (pre or modeler through monitirs is what's on my mind).
I'll jump in to recommend trying out a preamp pedal setup into the 112 cab while you've got one.

I just wrapped up a quick jam through a boosted Megalith Delta, Quilter Microblock, and Vader 212. This is just my living room rig.Sounded killer at volumes low enough I could still hear my daughter playing quietly in her room.

If you don't already have monitors though, I would definitely get a nice set as it's great to have them for just general listening.

Millul

Reaction score
Which speaker do you have in the 1x12?
I'm planning on keeping it, while I'll be sending back the 1x8 bantcab.

In fact, one of the options I had in mind was using a pre in the fx return of the bantamp, using it as a poweramp.

Got any recommendations as far as monitors? For general listening I have these 2 Bose ST10 speakers, which I can connect via WiFi to my phone (Spotify, YT, etc) and work in stereo - are there monitors that would be able to offer the same functionalities, or would I need something else "in between"?

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Which speaker do you have in the 1x12?
I'm planning on keeping it, while I'll be sending back the 1x8 bantcab.

In fact, one of the options I had in mind was using a pre in the fx return of the bantamp, using it as a poweramp.

Got any recommendations as far as monitors? For general listening I have these 2 Bose ST10 speakers, which I can connect via WiFi to my phone (Spotify, YT, etc) and work in stereo - are there monitors that would be able to offer the same functionalities, or would I need something else "in between"?
This 212 has custom Eminence Legends I love, and I have another Vader 412 with the same speakers. I have a 112 I use with this setup with a Veteran 30 which I dig, and the Mesa V30 is a classic for a reason.

I've only had one set of monitors, the Yamaha HS5, and they're great to my untrained ear. I think most people recommend going for the 7 or 8 inch speakers if you're not going to use a sub with them. They have enough low end for me though. For something real cheap, I have a set of Micca PB42x's that have really impressed me.

I would imagine that Joyo would do fine as a poweramp, at least as a stopgap.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Idk man I'm really loving this thing. I stopped bothering with the eq in the fx loop because turning up the tone knob makes it less bassy. I've got it set at about 2 o'clock. I was playing it that way for a while. I turned the gain down to about 9 o'clock to keep it tight and not over saturated. Today I plugged the eq pedal into the front and used it as a boost. Holy fuck man. That is an amazing sound and feeling. Super tight. Fucking awesome. And at bedroom volume. Fuck I love this fucking thing. When people were telling me years ago to turn down the gain on the amp just to boost it back up with a pedal, I thought they were fucking retarded. But it's not retarded, it's fucking magic man. I was chugging so much I broke a low e.

Latest posts

')