6534?

• Thread starter Dead Undead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience with the Peavey 6534? How does it compare to the 6505? Is the only difference in the tubes? I've really been considering a 6505, but then I saw the 34 and had to ask. Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Tubes are the only difference.

Cleans are better but still wouldn't go so far as to say their good. I like glassy, scooped cleans anyway so not for me.
Crunch has more girth and punch, would be great for a lead paul.
Lead channel is more fluid and sounds less hollow like your average 6505+. It doesn't boom as much in the low end, but the mids hit really hard and it has a nice crunch.

Inazone

Reaction score
I believe some sort of noise gate was incorporated in the 6534, probably similar to on the JSX.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Actually I remember trying a VOX AC15 with EL34's and really loved the dirty tone. Had a really nice crunch to it that I loved. Awesome for leads. Is there anything like that amp but higher power? Something with a bit more gain?
Or would you recommend something with 6L6's for better cleans? How would that sound with distortion?

I haven't used very many all tube amps so sorry if these questions sound newbish.

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
I didn't really like the 6534 in a straight comparison with the 6505 because of the difference in low end.
I have heard that swapping the 34s out for KT77 sounds pretty deadly though!

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i had a 6534 for a short while after i saw the amp shootout with bulb. i will say a video is not an accurate representation of the amps true sound, because while it sounded decent in person, it didnt sound like it did in the clip.

there was this "buzzy" characteristic to the tone i could not dial out no matter what I did to the EQ or gain section, and in the end it ended up bugging me enough i shipped it back to AMS for a full refund. I wound up preferring the more organic high gain of my Splawn Nitro to the peavey.

Ive tried the 6505 and really like the high gain on that head, but cant justify buying one, as its really a one trick pony.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Really not sure what you mean by this?

Every 6505+ I've heard (including my own) has had a very slightly dark sound with a bit of scoop but a powerful low end, the 34 shifts that low end jump up into the mids, so it sounds a bit brighter and middier but with a less boomin low end.

As for an EL based amp that has a nice crunch and decent cleans, OP, I'd look into the Mesa Stilleto Ace.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Every 6505+ I've heard (including my own) has had a very slightly dark sound with a bit of scoop but a powerful low end, the 34 shifts that low end jump up into the mids, so it sounds a bit brighter and middier but with a less boomin low end.

As for an EL based amp that has a nice crunch and decent cleans, OP, I'd look into the Mesa Stilleto Ace.

Thanks! Will do.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score

I don't find my 6505+ boomy at all, I find the lows are focused. What cab do you run it through?

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
the other guitar player in my band has one, I find it tighter at lower tunnings, but the characteristics of the lead channel are retained. the cleans are a little more usable, nothing over the top.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I don't find my 6505+ boomy at all, I find the lows are focused. What cab do you run it through?

First a 1960a then a Mesa Recto cab.

Boomy probably wasn't the best word, I wasn't implying they sag like a recto or 'woof' like smaller 212s do, but the bass is very clean and very loud on the lead channel. It doesn't sit under the mix, it's very clear and prominent.

This is in comparison to say a Mark Series Mesa (dialled in right), a Marshall or a Bogner type amp.

StefanWest

Reaction score
I spent a hour playing it. It is like many amps, a one trick pony.

It was more buttery. The "thrash" element I was able to get from it was decent enough to buy it for that. It was lacking the bass, but it's mid bass was more saturated than a 6505+ or any variation therefor.

I'd like to see what people do to this amp, changing tubes, bias, run more fx through it.
As I played an esp with an emg 81. No pedal, alone it sounded pretty good.
It was running through a marshall cab with who knows what in there.

Signal chain is key, if not everything.

Until I hear a full album or one solid song using this amp, I won't be able to have a potential opinion. It does have potential. I was considering buying a Framus Cobra, and probably still will. The cleans were good, but couldn't touch the conbra's

You'll still need a decimator with this amp. And I bet a compressor would really clean it up too. Thats all I got man

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'd like to play a 6534+. Actually, if Peavey's ReValver is anything to go by, I'd like a 30W 5150 with 4 EL84s in the power section even more!

Also, +1 to the Mesa Stiletto series if you don't like the 6534+. Awesome amps; make sure you get a Series II though (or an Ace, since the Ace didn't exist while Series I was in production), as the Series I amps were uninspiring.

')