6x12 cabs?

• Thread starter theronaldchase
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theronaldchase

Reaction score
So how many of you has had any run in's with these things? I'm interested but I want some first hand experience stories. Are they tight or boomy? I assume that there is more low end to them than anything.

I can't imagine that it would affect the sound too much, but hey, it looks cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rug

Reaction score
Seems like every other post I make is about these hahaha. I have an Emperor 6x12 and it fucking rules. The album I recorded with it is going to be mastered in 2 weeks, I'll make sure to post it on here.

nangillala

Reaction score
Seems like every other post I make is about these hahaha. I have an Emperor 6x12 and it fucking rules. The album I recorded with it is going to be mastered in 2 weeks, I'll make sure to post it on here.
So how many speakers did you mic? Did you have a room mic?
I can see that there is a difference in close micing a single-speaker cab to an n-speaker cab, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to hear the difference from 4*12 (or even 2*12) to 6*12 in a recording setting.
Might be different when room mics are used of course.

rug

Reaction score
1 close mic, 2 room mics. The blend varies through the album, some songs sound better with close mic, others open. In general I'm finding I like the room sound quite a bit...it really sounds huge.

nangillala

Reaction score
1 close mic, 2 room mics. The blend varies through the album, some songs sound better with close mic, others open. In general I'm finding I like the room sound quite a bit...it really sounds huge.
That's cool. Most bands work with close mics only nowadays. But in your case I can really think of a notable difference between (e.g.) 4*12 and 6*12.
I would love to play an Emperor cab myself!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A local band here uses 4 612 cabs built by their guitarist - check out Krych customs and The Jettison Commitment. They sound good, but I do not envy having to move those :lol:

Astewie26

Reaction score
i actually just picked up a emperor 6x12 with wgs reaper and wgs green beret. this thing is the tightest cab ive played. it really suprised me when i first played it

Astewie26

Reaction score
heres a pic

Attachments

• get-attachment-7.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-7.aspx.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 51

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Not a 6x12, but I saw a band called Embracer that came through here last weekend and their guitarists were both using Omega cabs, one 4x12+1x15 and the other 2x12+1x15.

Fucking incredible low end.

xchristopherx

Reaction score
I built a few 6x12 cabs in the past andi was playing it with two heads. I realized that it was silly so I bought a 412 and 212 and liked the combination of two cabs more. When I a/b the two the separate cabs sounded bigger and more layered.

However I think 612 cabs look cool as fuck. The omega stuff looks interesting I have considered calling those dudes a couple times now and just swinging out to Ohio for a pair of cabs. Im thinking 2 of that 2x12 + 1x15. I play an 8 so I feel as if I would benefit from it. With that being said, anyone incorporate a 115 or 215 into their guitar rig now? I've also considered picking up a cheap 215 and a poweramp and crossover and running low dirty tones into it. Like popping an odb3 in there and possibly the apex bass exciter. ( all things I've got lying around my parts closet)

xchristopherx

Reaction score
Yeah, stairs would be a bitch :lol:
My experience with an 810 was always easy with stairs because I could just use the towel bar. When I had a 610 (Mesa) And my 612 with no extra hand to help me out, I would actually walk up backwards. Otherwise it's quite a hassle. I used to live on a third floor so I had tried a bunch of stuff to make it easier.

Last thing was I built cardboard cases for them, tipped them to a 45* angle and just dragged them up the stairs. Then I was able to take them with one hand up and down.

rug

Reaction score
They are actually lighter and easier to move around than you would think. I don't have to deal with stairs though. :D

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score
If you want to check out other brands which make 6x12's, check out zilla cabs. They make custom cabs for the price of regular cabs, and they sound amazing. I must say, i havent gotten the chance to hear their 6x12's, but the 4x12 and 2x12's sound amazing, so their 6x12's has to be something that sounds like rainbow soundwaves.
check them out here: Custom Cabinets and Guitar Amp Cabs | Zilla Music UK

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Im thinking 2 of that 2x12 + 1x15. I play an 8 so I feel as if I would benefit from it. With that being said, anyone incorporate a 115 or 215 into their guitar rig now? I've also considered picking up a cheap 215 and a poweramp and crossover and running low dirty tones into it. Like popping an odb3 in there and possibly the apex bass exciter. ( all things I've got lying around my parts closet)

I'm currently working on a 2x12+1x15 for a member here, high pass filter set at 80Hz for the twelves, 2 Eminence Tonkers and a Peavey Scorpion. I might be as antzy as the guy buying it to hear how it reacts with an 8 string.

Back when i was a teenager, i picked up a Marshall head from a pawnshop and while trying out different cabs or it, really dug how it sounded with a Fender Bassman 2x15 cab. That was back in my Drop D, lots of System of a Down song phase. I had the most unusual half stack, but it rocked!:hbang:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the guys who have made thier own 6x12s, try installing some low friction rails along the back. You can pick up some plastic/PTFE ones at a lot of hardware stores. Something to replace the stock ones which tend to wear down. I did this to one of my old Ampeg 8x10s and it made is signifcantly easier to get up stairs.

Between the huge back handle and rails, it was pretty easy to get it up most stairs, minues certain concrete ones with the anti-slip pads. :lol:

rotebass

Reaction score
A local band here uses 4 612 cabs built by their guitarist - check out Krych customs and The Jettison Commitment. They sound good, but I do not envy having to move those :lol:

I second this. Sweet fucking cabs and TJC rocks socks.

')