7/8 string Explorer, RD, Iceman, Firebird, or Fireman?

• Thread starter jwade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which string #/shape combo do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Alright, what do you guys think? I have to decide what to build. I'm trying to decide between these 5 shapes:

ibanez+ic400+iceman.jpg

P1000063.jpg

4884473.jpg

GibsonFirebirdIIArtistCMT1981_zpsca807f5f.jpg

FRM250FM_12_01.png

*edit to add one more option/picture*

I already have a nice (large) chunk of ultra-light swamp ash, and pretty soon, I'll have a big chunk of wenge for the neck. Countdown to the build starting in 2 weeks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
RD 7 would be cool. Don't see many RD's, so a 7 string would be very unique.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
i'd personally love an 8-string Explorer, but the RD is definitely a shape you don't see too often...hell, I think the only ones I've actually seen were in Ghost/Ghost BC.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I already have a nice (large) chunk of ultra-light swamp ash, and pretty soon, I'll have a big chunk of wenge for the neck. Countdown to the build starting in 2 weeks!

Keep in mind that Firebirds are already somewhat prone to neck dive, so pairing a lightweight ash body with a wedge neck might make things worse.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I was thinking that with all of these, I'd try to counteract that with clever strap pin placement.

No experience with any of these models really, I had an Iceman once for 2 days but the selector switch was incredibly impossible to avoid while strumming, so I took it back.

*edit* A fellow builder friend has suggested offsetting the neckdive by installing weights.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Well, it's not on your list but I'd say Fireman 8. And here's why:

1) Its an incredibly rare shape that just doesn't get seen anywhere.
2) It's got that long upper horn, which is hugely important for preventing ERG neck dive.
3) Paul Gilbert
4) I will think you're cool, and will go on record as such.

So redo that dang poll, and watch Fireman 8 go to the top! Bonus cool points if you use single coils. (At least a couple of them?)

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
You know, I actually thought about that previously. Especially after his fancy-schmancy new $8000 anniversary model was announced. I really love the entire overall aesthetic of that thing. I'm going to be making my own pickups as well, so I can do basically whatever I want, within reason.

I'd also been in talks with a custom builder a year ago about having a Fireman 7 (with the Universe's disappearing pyramid inlays) built, but decided against it when school became an option.

(I'd add the Fireman to the poll but I don't see an 'edit poll' option anywhere)

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score

2) It's got that long upper horn, which is hugely important for preventing ERG neck dive.
3) Paul Gilbert

So redo that dang poll, and watch Fireman 8 go to the top! Bonus cool points if you use single coils. (At least a couple of them?)

I highly highly highly recommend listening to this !!!

Did I mention I highly recommend this.

Reaction score
An 8 string Explorer is just killer, I got one and it's just great, no neckdive and a massive tone because of the huge slab of wood.

tssb

Reaction score

3) Paul Gilbert

this.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Xiphos and other X-shaped guitars myself!

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Several people I know have cautioned against using one-piece wenge necks, citing instability. I'd recommend at the very least laminating it.

Latest posts

')