7/8 string Explorer, RD, Iceman, Firebird, or Fireman?

• Thread starter jwade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which string #/shape combo do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
It's probably going to be wenge/maple/wenge/maple/wenge or maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

House74

Perfect Djentleman
Reaction score
hands down RD8, first time I saw ghost using the 6er versions it was the first Gibson I fell in love with in a looooong time

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Man, unexpected results so far! I'm amazed that the Iceman 7 is the least popular!

I was initially planning an 8 string Explorer, but changed my mind to a 7 string Firebird, then decided that it'd be simpler to just go with an RG body shape for an 8 string, then changed my mind to an Iceman. There was an initial desire (years back) to have customs made, a Rickenbacker bass body as a 7 string guitar and a Fireman 7 string.

It's interesting to see how varied your choices are. Wish I could edit the poll! I guess I should make another after this, a round 2 poll to see what the most popular is of the few highest voted on this poll.

smeat

Here's to the ages
Reaction score
I'd be all over an Iceman 8, and I'm not even that into 8 strings.

Majkel

Reaction score
I'm not going to vote because I'm in the Fireman camp as well.

However, I will say this: you, sir, have great taste in guitars.

edit: although I just realised - I own that Explorer E2 and would murder to have it in a 7 string version

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
7638144pink_destroyer.jpg

Thought about this as a 7-string? Destroyer/Iceman hybrid. Would look great with a reversed headstock.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
I voted Iceman 8, but really I think Fireman 8 is the way to go.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Now I'm wanting to saw the sides off my Intrepid Pro and put a new body on as a Fireman 8. That would be so hot. I just gotta do it.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Firebirds are already somewhat prone to neck dive, so pairing a lightweight ash body with a wedge neck might make things worse.

If you wanted a Firebird-esque shape I would go for the Cygnus shape, it's kind of a Phoenix(Firebird)/Destroyer hybrid and mine balances perfect. Most people that have seen mine say something along the lines of, "Man that's kind of goofy looking, but I need one, what is it?"

IMG_0974_zps4f0063d8.jpg

But if it was me, I would go for an RD 7 string.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Not digging that one! Something about that tail/hook thing just throws me off.

Someone suggested that I should make 2 guitars at the same time, an 8 string Fireman and an 8 string Iceman, in complimentary/opposite colors.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Pretttttty sure I'm gonna do an 8 string Explorer. One of the instructors brought up the fact that I've been talking about wanting to make an Explorer since November, so....

')