7 or 8 String?

• Thread starter Lon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
So, im planning to buy my first ERG, and the thread title just says it... i really cracked my head up and i can't find a decent solution, and "testing out" is unfortunately no option because in the area of... 500miles no shop has a 8 string, in my whole region not even a single shop has a 7 string -.-

Until i got into the djent stuff i didn't really bother with ERGs, in my optinion everything below drop-C was just because you can, but i gained insight and my opinion changed, and in the last year i really got into shred (something i loathed for the 3 years before that... damn people change) so the higher faster farther approach is now really appealing to me, im totally hooked on After The Burial.

And for me the major difference between 7 String / 8 String would be Droptuning yes/no. I'd Tune the 7 String to Drop G# (with 13-66 gauge) and I'd keep the 8 string standard or half step down. So the 2 semitones of added range aren't really an issue for me, i just want that "djent" timbre and C is just not low enough. For shits and giggles I tuned one of my 6 stringers to Drop G# and instantly knew "I need an ERG" because i really missed the high end and was totally uncomfortable with the 3rd string already wound for sweep picking.

I fear when buying a 7 String it will get abbandoned after some weeks because i think i really need an 8 String, or i'll buy an 8 String, try a 7 and bite myself because its much more comfy and faster for me (paragraph hypothetical!)

At the time its a Dean RC7X w/ refret vs. a Agile Septor 8 String

7String:
+ familiar trem (original floyd)
+ less going out of tune hassle
+ smaller neck, more familiar
+ familiar scale
+ from ground up concepted as a shredaxe (rc7x)
- abbandonment issues

8String:
+ even More Range, i know i'm at pretty much the maximum of factory produced guitars, so no "there could go more" thoughts
+ tastier design
+ looks more badass because im 6'4"
- only kahler trems, so i'd buy one without (i really like divebombs..)
- i think droptuning to E or D# is ridicioulous

I'd really appreciate some thoughts so maybe i get a new direction and reach a descision what to spend my money on ^^

greets

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you've never had a 7 string before, I say try that one out first. Tune to drop G# and see how you like it...

But for that "djent" like sound, refer to this thread...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-and-techniques/86071-how-to-djent.html

That may help you make your decision as well.

If that doesn't work, search "djent tone" in the upper search box, there are a lot of threads on how to do that and some have different approaches to it, too.

Cheers!

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Lon wrote,
I fear when buying a 7 String it will get abbandoned after some weeks because i think i really need an 8 String, or i'll buy an 8 String, try a 7 and bite myself because its much more comfy and faster for me (paragraph hypothetical!)

My thoughts on this are, if you think you need an 8, then you probably need an 8. No point in buying a 7, only to find you need to "re-up" later, right? I mean, why buy two guitars when you can just get one that will do everything you want it to.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
The "djent timbre" is not achieved by having 7- or 8-string guitars, but by having extended scale lengths so you don't have to use super heavy strings to go low. The lighter strings have more brightness and harmonics in their output because the fundamental is not as strong.

So what you really want is a guitar with bright woods (maple neck-thru, alder, etc.), extended scale/reasonable string sizes, bright/mid-heavy pups, which is then tuned as low as your preference.

If you want more range, then you need more strings or more frets, and adding strings is a lot easier dude. :yesway: So if you're tuned low but you wish you had more high range, then you have to add a string or two.

That being said, 8-strings look badass on big dudes :agreed: and they will challenge the way you play.

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score
Id say go for the 8 string. Kahler trems are quite capable of performing dive bombs, and i personally like them better than floyds. Most 8 strings are pretty good for shred as well. Since you are a big guy, im assuming you have some decent sized hands. I dont think you will have much trouble adjusting to the extended scale or size of the fretboard.

Besides, 8 strings are badass!

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with the sentiment that if you're thinking you might need an eight string, you probably will be happier with an eight than a seven. I went seven first then sold it and switched up to eight (with a longer scale too) and am much happier. I didn't find the seven more comfortable or faster. Even though the eight has a wider neck, the longer scale makes it feel better proportioned. It's also forced me to position my hand properly for long stretches and that habit's improved my six-string playing.

The only argument I'd make for a seven is that that RC7X looks like a pretty sweet guitar.

lactose

Reaction score
For me, the change from 6 to 7 was a lot harder than the change from 7 to 8. I highly recommend the longer scale if that is an option.

malphas

Reaction score
Like some have said, if you're thinking you might need an 8 then get an 8. Before I bought mine I was flipping back and forth between 7 and 8. That was until my boss, who happens to be a drummer, said "Get an 8, it''ll do everything a 7 will and then some." I said, "Why didn't that ever occur to me?" Getting an 8 string was the best gear decision I have ever made. You can play 6 & 7 string standard tuning stuff and have even more room and ability to experiment with different tunings.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
if you know some basic theory and scales the change isnt sh.t to either 7 or 8

im still looking for the perfect 8 with trem and have already looked into agile but still need to get more gear for my rig(dime wah , acoustic sim) then a 6 string bass, then an 8 string

but yea just get an 8 if you found one u like, u could treat it like a 7 or 6

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
I would go with 7 first, get the hang of it for a while, then get an 8, depending on how you feel. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

and i'm kinda new here so wtf is "DJENT"???:spock:

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
go the 8 straight out.
I've had a 7 string for 6 months and regret not getting an 8.
Im selling my 7 string so I can get an 8 now.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
If I was GASing for an ERG before I got a 7 string, I wouldn't have my C-7 at this very moment. It's your happiness that's on the line, if you get a 7 and still want an 8 but run into problems, you would think "I should've got this instead!"

Remember this when deciding to buy anything:

No regrets.

')