7 or 8 String?

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
I have had a 7 string in the past (Schecter C7 and Ibanez RG7321), however I always seemed to get rid of them in a few months because I really didn't spend any time working with it.

I am considering jumping in the ERG pool again after becoming obsessed with Stephen Carpenter's tone on Diamond Eyes. I have fairly small hands so I am nervous about handling an 8 string, however I have heard they are not that different from a 7 string (depending on make and model).

I realize prior to diamond eyes (Self Titled, and Saturday Night Wrist) SC used 7 string baritones tuned down to F# and G#. His move to 8 string didn't change his tuning, from SNW to Diamond Eyes... just gave him an extra string.

I don't shred, and all things considered I am a pretty mediocre guitarist (hey at least I admit it)

So... assuming that Deftones, Chevelle, Staind style of playing. Would you recommend a 7 or an 8 string guitar.

Guitars I am considering 607B, LTD FM-418, Schecter Spinal 8, Schecter Hellraiser 7.

I want a fixed bridge without a doubt as I will have no need for a trem.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say either 607B or 608B or a higher specs Agile. An 8 is always preferable for those kind of tunings, it adds a lot of possibilities for clean parts (that's if you don't do solo stuffs which always benefit from more strings :lol: ).

Latest posts

')