7 string baritone fanned fret Acoustic!

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
Beneteau Guitars Baritone Fan Fret

bevel.jpg

7stringfanfrntfull.jpg

Dream Guitars: New Beneteau Guitars, Marc Beneteau, Baritone Fan Fret, Andaman Padauk, Sitka Spruce, Baritone, Acoustic Guitar, Tony McManus, Don Ross, Craig D'Andrea,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDk-SkdWmS8

Specs:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]- Ziricote Back & Sides
- Adirondack Spruce Top
- Scale lengths: 25.75" Treble 28" Bass
- Nut Width: 1 13/16"
- Cocobolo Bindings & Trim
- Wide Ziricote Soundhole
- Ebony Pinless Bridge
- Arm Rest Bevel
- Gotoh 510 Tuners
[/FONT]

too bad it has a 10k price tag :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
That must sound HUGE and LOOOOUD in person.

I thought that a mahogany neck would be an odd choice considering the rest of the woods used, but it sounds awesome in the video.

wavez1392

Reaction score
I know this may be a dumb question, but whats the purpose of Fanned fret guitars? I have seen so many great guitarist recently have custom ones built...ala tosin abasi strasburg..

Thing sounds fucking incredible.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
I know this may be a dumb question, but whats the purpose of Fanned fret guitars? I have seen so many great guitarist recently have custom ones built...ala tosin abasi strasburg..

It's so that an instrument can have multiple scale lengths. A longer scale is necessary for low notes, as it means thinner strings can be used, and the clarity is meant to be increased.

However, a high scale length can mean that strings become too thin on the upper strings. Thicker strings have better tonality (too thick and they lose harmonic content, hence long scale for low notes) and I think a long scale can make the upper strings sound tinny.

So, a fanned fret instrument is used to get the best of both worlds.

And they look badass

wavez1392

Reaction score
It's so that an instrument can have multiple scale lengths. A longer scale is necessary for low notes, as it means thinner strings can be used, and the clarity is meant to be increased.

However, a high scale length can mean that strings become too thin on the upper strings. Thicker strings have better tonality (too thick and they lose harmonic content, hence long scale for low notes) and I think a long scale can make the upper strings sound tinny.

So, a fanned fret instrument is used to get the best of both worlds.

And they look badass
Wow great to know, considering I have been looking at getting a new guitar. Was thinking baritone was the way to go because I love the feel and tone of my rgd, which has 26.5, but maybe I need to try out a fanned fret guitar before I make my decision. Thanks for the response.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
Wow, that is one amazing sounding guitar! I want one now!

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
You get more accurate intonation on a fanned fret guitar. Supposedly more ergonomic for your hand too. A regular guitar is never in exactly in tune. Same with a piano. Check into the tempered tuning system. Without it you'd only be able to play in a small number of keys. In the tempered system the frequencies of the notes are slightly adjusted to allow access to all 12 keys. Another interesting topic is "standard pitch." 440 is standard although some folks go for 444 or 448. Guess who developed standard pitch? The Rockefellers. Why? I bet you'd like to know. Back in the day orchestras tuned to 444 for a reason. Anyone know anything about 528hz? Check into this stuff. It's really mind blowing.

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
At first when I went to the site I was like.. where the hell is the 7 string? Then I watched that Youtube video and saw it :D. Great song and amazing acoustic. I still want a 7 string acoustic incredibly badly.

Musza

Reaction score
I have played an 8 string fanned-frets on a Musik Messe. It was immediately GAS. I would love to have one.

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
i've owned 4 different 7 strings acoustics and had gripes with all of them. The body on the Ibanez was too big to play comfortably, the Giannini cutaway classical had poor tone, and the other was an old junker from Russia that was hard to play. The only one I still have is a Raines made in Japan classical cutaway. That one kinda sounds flat to me. I think I need higher tension strings on it though. Someday I'll find my dream 7 string acoustic.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
That is a nice sound guitar.

You get more accurate intonation on a fanned fret guitar. Supposedly more ergonomic for your hand too. A regular guitar is never in exactly in tune. Same with a piano. Check into the tempered tuning system. Without it you'd only be able to play in a small number of keys. In the tempered system the frequencies of the notes are slightly adjusted to allow access to all 12 keys. Another interesting topic is "standard pitch." 440 is standard although some folks go for 444 or 448. Guess who developed standard pitch? The Rockefellers. Why? I bet you'd like to know. Back in the day orchestras tuned to 444 for a reason. Anyone know anything about 528hz? Check into this stuff. It's really mind blowing.

You get more accurate intonation only on scales exceeding the norm, comapratively. It is more a tension and string guage (and ergonomic) factor. The longer the scale the more accurate your intonation. Basses tend to intonate better than guitars, and this is likely an issue of tolerances. The relative pitch change, is going to be a factor of string length, so you get less change per mm on a longer scale (it is more forgiving).

pink freud

Reaction score
It's a good thing they made sure to make the center of the fan positioned so it didn't mess up upper-fret positioning.

Well, it would have been if you could actually get to those frets...

')