7 String Bass, String Gauge

Chin-Saw

Reaction score
Hi, so I've been having an issue finding the right gauge strings for my seven string bass. It's a 34'' scale, and I alternate between low G# base tuning, and low A base tuning.

I'm looking for a gauge that wouldn't be too tight in low A and not too sloppy in low G#.

As well as looking into the "right" gauge strings. I have also taken a significant interest in flatwound bass strings. What is a good option regarding my circumstances? Thanks, Chin

My tuning Lowest to highest,

A
D
G
C
F
A#
D#

And as for the G# tuning, I just tune all my strings down a half step.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chin-Saw

Reaction score
Thank you for such a quick reply! \m/ I unfortunately am not sure what my current E string gauge is, but your reply with the Circle K tension chart will surely be more than helpful. Much appreciated. I will post if I find another heavy gauge flatwound source. \m/

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

ixlramp

Reaction score
As a rough guide, 30 pounds is extra light tension, 40 pounds is medium tension. I recommend 30+ pounds on the lowest string, below that it gets very floppy and the tone starts to suffer. CKS also recommend exceeding 30 pounds.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep personally I would shoot for 41lbs in the A tuning, that way it shouldn't be too far below 40 in G#.

Udolf

Reaction score
Exactly, you need a reference. A matter of calculating, then playing to see which gauges feel comfortable and sound good enough (perhaps which do not).

Latest posts

')