7-String Blackjack owners: Question about stock pickups

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
How many of you still have the stock JB-7/59-7 pickups installed in the Blackjack? If not, what pickups are you using in it now? Please discuss.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score
Stock for me.

If it was my only 7 string I'd think of changing them, but since it's not my main player I love them the way they are. The JB/59 combo sounds great in a mahogany set neck guitar, and it's very different than my others (M7, Evo/Blaze, EMG). The JB in mahogany is nice and raw with complex growly mids and a sharp treble-y attack. The 59 is smooth with rounded attack.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i changed the 59 in the one i used to own to an air norton 7. sounded epic.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a JB/59 combo in the RG7CT and my Schecter A-7 Elite and I love it. Not the Blackjack, but I love that combo of pickup. I never notice is getting muddy or flubby at all :shrug:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Stock for me so far. I like them but I'm not sure I'm in love with them.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Stock for me. I wouldn't call the JB flubby by any means - the bass doesn't jump out at you as being super tight and authoritative and punchy or anything, but rather what really calls attention to itself on this pickup (in this body wood) is the raw "snarl" to the midrange.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The JB is a great pickup, but the low end can get out of control in darker guitars, especially on the 7th string and under high gain applications. It's of course more than usable and sounds great, but if you do a lot of crisp tight playing on the low B w/ a JB, you might run into some loose bass.

From hearing Ari's Blackjack w/ the Duncan Custom, I can definitely say that it sounds awesome, I like it better than the JB in that guitar. In a brighter guitar, JB all the way.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
This is awesome. Thanks to everyone who has participated in this discussion. I didn't realize there were this many Blackjack owners. Lets keep this going.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the smooth midrange of the stock pickups (mine are duncan designed.. but close enough).

I tuned down to Ab yesterday for the hell of it, and with proper gague strings (I used a .060) it sounded punchy and was pretty tight.

They DO have a lot of low end, but I wouldn't call it muddy at all.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I'm new here and just got my new C-7 Blackjack!
Stock JB is actually pretty good! My first contact with them! I was an active pickup player till now so they seem little low-output to me but it has great tone, nice mid growl and metallic attack!
I'm thinking though of changing it to Lundgren M7 but not so soon!

heres one clip I made in a hurry so don't mind the fault synchronization of 2 guitars and fact that I have crappy on-board soundcard: Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think enough people have commented about the bridge pickup. Time to tear into the neck. :lol:

I think the '59 is a bit of a blah pickup. Great for blues/rock stuff, but if you play metal, it just doesn't handle high gain well. The Jazz is a far more articulate pickup with a singing lead tone and a fat (but never flubby) bottom.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think enough people have commented about the bridge pickup. Time to tear into the neck. :lol:

I think the '59 is a bit of a blah pickup. Great for blues/rock stuff, but if you play metal, it just doesn't handle high gain well. The Jazz is a far more articulate pickup with a singing lead tone and a fat (but never flubby) bottom.

:shrug:

I agree totally. That's why I like it. :fawk:

But yeah, I do want to try a Jazz in something. You like it in alder, right dave?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, it is a great pickup for lower gain settings. The Jazz is, too, though, which is why I never bother with the '59. Then again, I wouldn't be in such a rush to replace a '59.

I love the Jazz in absolutely everything. It sounds especially good in mahogany, though--it does a great job of cleaning up the low end.