7 string daemoness recording-lend me your speakers!

• Thread starter Najka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
I know the song does but I just suck at recording. I'm revamping my little studio currently and taking a different approach to recording bass. I am having a huge problem getting the bass levels correct currently and I don't think my music monitors are representing the bass frequencies correctly.. a big issue is I have cranky neighbors too, so I can't turn the speakers up and its hurting my mixes

okay I can't get Superior drummer to show up in the browse window anywhere in Studio One.. grr
What are your speakers?

If you want to get an idea of how loud your bass is, use a clanky/fuzzy sound that has some low mid frequencys so you can use them to get the levels right. Also use an analyser plugin so you can see how much bass your mix has and compare it to other mixes :).

@Darkinners
Haha cool! Send me a link when you're done!

At the moment the grouping of the notes is tripping me up a bit, :D I need to practise it alot more tbh.

Another thing is trying to get the Gojira tone, I absolutely LOVE that tone but I'm on a pretty major budget, trying to get my studio setup aswell. So no 5150 for me :(.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
No bass guitar?

Disapoint....
:noplease:

If I was going to say anything, it'd be about the arrangements. It's very hard to hear where the songs are going. It might be the hyper active drumming, as there are a lot of fills and drum tempo changes.
:scratch:

Sound quality is really good though, nice work! :D

Najka

Reaction score
No bass guitar?

Disapoint....
:noplease:

If I was going to say anything, it'd be about the arrangements. It's very hard to hear where the songs are going. It might be the hyper active drumming, as there are a lot of fills and drum tempo changes.
:scratch:

Sound quality is really good though, nice work! :D

There is a bass, I just have a bad case of sucking when it comes to mixing bass.

However I made the leap to Studio One 2 pro. The new composition I'm working on is coming out waaay better then anything I've ever done yet Maybe the default settings are just better for recording?? I don't know but so far the sound quality i'm getting kicks butt. And I'm getting some nice bass tones with EZMIX. plus Albeton didn't really have a very nice Mix/Mastering layout. Studio One is set up to record, mix and master.

As far as the arrangement; I like music that drags the listener around by their throat, I want movement. It's defiantly not easy listening.

What are your speakers?

If you want to get an idea of how loud your bass is, use a clanky/fuzzy sound that has some low mid frequencys so you can use them to get the levels right. Also use an analyser plugin so you can see how much bass your mix has and compare it to other mixes :).

@Darkinners
Haha cool! Send me a link when you're done!

At the moment the grouping of the notes is tripping me up a bit, :D I need to practise it alot more tbh.

Another thing is trying to get the Gojira tone, I absolutely LOVE that tone but I'm on a pretty major budget, trying to get my studio setup aswell. So no 5150 for me :(.

Mackie Mr5's. trying to sell them currently and try something new out.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
All in due time :)

One thing you forgot to mention is how STABLE studio one is :)
Presonus seems to be doing a good job keeping things polished in S1 and not adding a bunch of random features just to have them.

It's not THAT stable on mac. I had a couple weird crashes. Then again, Logic had more.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Haha Awesome! That must of been a hell of a picking workout! :shred:

I've pretty much only just started trying to learn Gojira songs and it's doing SO much for my picking skills.

Working on Mouth of Kala at the moment :).

@MF Kitten

Ahh ok, so how do you loop? Do you click on a section/bar and it loops that?

Looping playback works like in most DAWs. Looping a region, like a drum loop however, is done by selecting it and duplicating it by hitting "D". Holding shift when you do it makes a linked duplicate that changes if the original changes.

Najka

Reaction score
What i miss in Studio One is the "drag to loop" function you find in Reaper and Logic. You can just hit shift+D to make linked duplicates. And in both aforementioned DAWs you can hold a button and click a MIDI note to copy it's attributes: length and velocity. These are applied to the note input tool, so you can "steal" notes.

I also wish S1 had support for multiple inputs on plugins other than sidechaining, and i wish it had surround support. These are "far out" things that few use, but it's FUN! :p

So far pretty much everything in Studio one 2 is drag and drop

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score

TSE x50. It's a near perfect 5150 emulation, and it's free :)

')