7 string daemoness recording-lend me your speakers!

• Thread starter Najka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I'm listening on my laptop through Tapco 5" Active Studio Monitors. Yep the kick and snare seem a little loud.

I can't give you any mixing advice etc. because I have way to much to learn still myself. Plus hard for me to say what the song would sound like with the above mentioned drums turned down a little in volume and how that would affect the rest of the songs sound.

Sounds good though. Like the song and now listening to "This Could Be Good".

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I don't know if the kick is too loud, or if it's just a little too present. I'd maybe try to tweak around on the upper mids. A little more room in the drum sounds might be nice too.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Not too loud, maybe a little bit down. But I love the sound so far :3

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
If your main concerns are snare and kick.

1. I think kick overall volume is ok, maybe just move the "click" boost to higher region.
Now you boost around 3-4kHz? try like 6-7khz and the kick could use some more meat.
try not scoop 500ish Hz too much, it needs to scoop some but it also need some meat around those frequency, that you don't need to turn kick volume that high to feel the punch.

2. Snare I think you need to lower the compression level, now the snare is too compressed, all dynamic is gone so it sound a little bit dull.
If you struggle to get snare cuts more in the mix, maybe you should try EQ the bass guitar a bit to make room for the snare's punch and the snare will sound bigger.
Instead of compress or tame snare's transient to death.

my 0.5 cents(inflation)

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Yeah, your snare isn't cutting enough and I think your cymbals could do with a little more high end and a DB or two more volume to bring them forwards a bit and crispen them up.

Cool composition though :).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hahahaha, just as i hit play, a truck drove past outside, and it made a deep rumbly sound that made my desk vibrate, and i was like "WTF HOW MUCH BASS DID HE GET IN THERE?!"

Anyway, this sounds like a great start, but it also sounds pretty raw and unprocessed still. Drums are a little loud, but i think the real problem is that they are too dry.

Najka

Reaction score
Hahahaha, just as i hit play, a truck drove past outside, and it made a deep rumbly sound that made my desk vibrate, and i was like "WTF HOW MUCH BASS DID HE GET IN THERE?!"

Anyway, this sounds like a great start, but it also sounds pretty raw and unprocessed still. Drums are a little loud, but i think the real problem is that they are too dry.

:lol:

Najka

Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/dan-schuch/the-liferuiner <-mix attempt #2. Mew composition. I think this one sounds beeeetter :) Mixing these drums is a sticky situation... I'm leaving the Ableton world today.

I just purchased Studio one pro! Holy cow! So, maybe mixing in Studio One will be a better experience for me. I'm planning on try out EZMIX from toontrack, So I can sound just like the pros Fuck yeah! My musical goal here is that my listeners shit thier pants and vomit uncontrollably while indulging in these monstrosities of sound waves.
(incredible amount of sarcasm) Damn you internet I hate you for the false portrayals of my comingled sarcasm!

Annnnd yeah,cats are better then dogs.

[youtube][/youtube]

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Sounds better but still some tweaking needed I think.

Kick and cymbals sound good but your snare sounds really subdued, try turning it up a bit (or if you're running out of headroom turn everything else down a bit ;)). Also I think the guitars need to come down a few DB (yes I said that, don't kill me, please :fawk:)

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
I'm looking at studio one as a daw aswell :), Is there anything you can't do that you can in other DAWd like Logic/Cubase?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
There's always going to be stuff in every DAW that you can't do that "that other DAW" can do. It's all about what you wanna do i guess. Studio One does everything i want and much more, really. I'm only "missing" a couple of little handy shortcuts and functions, and those are just easier ways of doing things, and not actual missing features.

I used to use Logic, and it was the "BEST EVAR DAW LOLOL" as far as i knew, but after trying Studio One, i realized just how ridiculously restrained and limited it is. Like just the fact that i can now use VST plugins AND i can still use AU units... Holy crap, all the plugins i have available now, so sweet!

Studio One is more in the future with a modern and intuitive approach, with all the features "at your hands" rather than "available somewhere in there if you read about how you do it and learn the ridiculous functions".

Najka

Reaction score
Sounds better but still some tweaking needed I think.

Kick and cymbals sound good but your snare sounds really subdued, try turning it up a bit (or if you're running out of headroom turn everything else down a bit ;)). Also I think the guitars need to come down a few DB (yes I said that, don't kill me, please :fawk:)

There I made the snare louder! Happyy?????
...snare natzie..

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
There's always going to be stuff in every DAW that you can't do that "that other DAW" can do. It's all about what you wanna do i guess. Studio One does everything i want and much more, really. I'm only "missing" a couple of little handy shortcuts and functions, and those are just easier ways of doing things, and not actual missing features.

I used to use Logic, and it was the "BEST EVAR DAW LOLOL" as far as i knew, but after trying Studio One, i realized just how ridiculously restrained and limited it is. Like just the fact that i can now use VST plugins AND i can still use AU units... Holy crap, all the plugins i have available now, so sweet!

Studio One is more in the future with a modern and intuitive approach, with all the features "at your hands" rather than "available somewhere in there if you read about how you do it and learn the ridiculous functions".
Yeah I completely agree, I was just trying to get a feel of the pros and cons of studio one. :)

What things did you find harder in studio one?

What things do you find easier in Studio one VS Logic?

Najka

Reaction score
I've been using Ableton live to record all my songs. Work flow is what you can and can't do in each DAW in my opinion. Studio One is super user friendly so far. I always feel like people were getting better sound quality than me.. Maybe mixing will be a better experience with studio One. And I purchased EZMIX, which isn't compatible with Ableton... So we'll see what happens! The ability to lay out all your sound clips and drag and drop them in Ableton does kick some serious ass. it gives me a whole new world of creative freedom. Like I can record a bunch of parts, then Kind of DJ the song to my liking, like okay play the intro...now play the chorus..up NOPE you only get a snipit of the chorus hahaha fucker! okay now play...this random part..okay BREAK DOWN. okay you can hear the chorus now. See didn't I explain that so well? You're welcome.

Najka

Reaction score
Yeah I completely agree, I was just trying to get a feel of the pros and cons of studio one. :)

What things did you find harder in studio one?

What things do you find easier in Studio one VS Logic?

Studio One is all drag and drop, it's soooo easy.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
There I made the snare louder! Happyy?????
...snare natzie..
You need to update ZE link!

Ze snare must cut through ze mix! or you vill be disciplined! :rofl:

Edit; just listening to the mix a bit more, I think the snare needs to come up a bit but literally two or three DBs, it's only just not cutting enough. Maybe instead scoop away a little from the guitars in the area that your snare is, but again be subtle with it, use a wide Q and only by 2-3 db :).

Najka

Reaction score
wtf is up with my frakin monitors... the right one randomly gets loud or quiet.

errrrr... tell me that's not just my mix doing that....

OH my god..stupid superior drummer, it like cuts out right near the BREAKDOWN! for some reason. It has randomly been popping up saying.. Authorize this shit. and I'm like fuck this thang I already did.

')