7 string.. dilemma?

• Thread starter Shenaniganizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
So, I played an RG7321 today (which I dug :shred: and it was through a 6505+.. omg :scream:) in drop A. I JUST realized that the low A string is really mushy, loose, and flubby. Almost undefined. Could this be a problem contributed to crappy pickups, or is that just how all 7s with a low 7th string are? I wanted to have D-standard and a drop string (which would be a low G, correct?) but damn, that sounded way too loose.
If that's just how 7s are, would a thicker string gauge help?

Also, I've been wondering something. And, this may make no sense, so, bear with me.
You can have standard tuning, EADGBE, with a 'drop' string for your 7th, which is a low A. What if you have, say, drop C on your top six strings (which means your 7 is your drop string, C) and an extra high string.. I have no clue what the tuning on that string would be, but would that basically mean that your six strings would be in G standard, with an extra drop-tuned C on the 7th string?

I hope that made sense. :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
What amp are you using and are you using a tubescreamer in front of it?

Also, what are your eq settings like?

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
At the time, it was a 6505+ that I played the 7 through.

I don't have a 7 string myself, yet, but right now, I'm using a Triumph 120 head through two G12T-75s. I don't use a boost, or any pedals at all, really.

Since every channel on this amp is shared on the EQ, I usually run everything wide open.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
ok well for starters if you played the 7321 at a store that means they have the puny stock strings on them, which are WAY to small for drop A. and the pickups on the 7321 are known in the 7 string world as probably the muddiest pickups out there, if you want to keep passives go for dimarzio, they seem to be the best passive 7 string pickups out there (unless you have the money for bareknuckles). that should help alot with your flub problem, also as for strings i used to play in D standsard with a dropped G like you were planning on doing and i was using a set of ernie ball beefy slinky 11-56 for the standard 6 and a .70 single for the G and that worked great, that may be too big for some but i like tighter strings. about the 7 string drop C tuning m not sure if i understood you correctly but if you meant to tune the 7 string up so the lowest string is in G then the tuning would be (low to high) CGCFA#DG or you could put the A# down to A so you would match that of a normal 6 string tuning. also if that is wrong someone please tell me haha.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
ok well for starters if you played the 7321 at a store that means they have the puny stock strings on them, which are WAY to small for drop A. and the pickups on the 7321 are known in the 7 string world as probably the muddiest pickups out there, if you want to keep passives go for dimarzio, they seem to be the best passive 7 string pickups out there (unless you have the money for bareknuckles). that should help alot with your flub problem, also as for strings i used to play in D standsard with a dropped G like you were planning on doing and i was using a set of ernie ball beefy slinky 11-56 for the standard 6 and a .70 single for the G and that worked great, that may be too big for some but i like tighter strings. about the 7 string drop C tuning m not sure if i understood you correctly but if you meant to tune the 7 string up so the lowest string is in G then the tuning would be (low to high) CGCFA#DG or you could put the A# down to A so you would match that of a normal 6 string tuning. also if that is wrong someone please tell me haha.

The strings felt moderately thick, but probably weren't thick enough. I would either go with Bare Knuckles or BGs. How tight did the low G string sound when you did that? Was it flubby?
And, I think you understand me. The seventh string would be a low C, so I'd basically be playing drop C on a 7 string with a high G. But does that mean the six strings (GCFA#DG) are in G-standard tuning?

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
So, I played an RG7321 today (which I dug :shred: and it was through a 6505+.. omg :scream:) in drop A. I JUST realized that the low A string is really mushy, loose, and flubby.
Get an electrical cable and string that up. :lol:

Being serious, though, Drop-A DEMANDS a serious string. Elixir strings tend to run higher tension per gauge than other strings, try to find a 68 single string. Then rejoice as definition comes back. Or, if you're feeling really masochistic, wade through the insults on his website and contact Alex at Zachary Guitar for a few packs of his 7-string set. When I first started using them, my low A twanged. :lol:

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
Wow, he seems like kind of a prick, based on one of his answers to a simple question about his strings..

Though, I suppose I could look into it.

shogunate

Reaction score
A lot of people get turned off by his attitude, but frankly, I don't mind people's etiquette if the product is legit, but a LOT of people on here refuse to even look into it because of his attitude :scratch:

Anyway, you're looking a bunch of ways that could tighten up that low end for you, the easiest and first of which is to swap out the strings for heavier gauges and test it out in the store, which I would demand they do especially with a 7. What would also accomplish more tension would be an extended scale of course, but it sounds like you're set on the Ibby :yesway: so look into seven string pickups in your price range, dimarzios, bareknuckles, or the sevenstringer EMGs if you dig the EMG sound. A booster pedal would tighten up the amp, but not really the guitar itself.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
The strings felt moderately thick, but probably weren't thick enough. I would either go with Bare Knuckles or BGs. How tight did the low G string sound when you did that? Was it flubby?
And, I think you understand me. The seventh string would be a low C, so I'd basically be playing drop C on a 7 string with a high G. But does that mean the six strings (GCFA#DG) are in G-standard tuning?

i have used a .70 for G on a 25.5 inch and a 26.5 inch scale lengths and it didn't make a noticeable difference, it wasn't flubby at all. here are some questions that might help you select better strings: are you normally a 6 string player, and if so then what tuning are you normally in? also do you prefer a looser or tighter feeling set of strings? also yes the GCFADA#G would be standard..... i think:scratch:

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
A lot of people get turned off by his attitude, but frankly, I don't mind people's etiquette if the product is legit, but a LOT of people on here refuse to even look into it because of his attitude :scratch:

Anyway, you're looking a bunch of ways that could tighten up that low end for you, the easiest and first of which is to swap out the strings for heavier gauges and test it out in the store, which I would demand they do especially with a 7. What would also accomplish more tension would be an extended scale of course, but it sounds like you're set on the Ibby :yesway: so look into seven string pickups in your price range, dimarzios, bareknuckles, or the sevenstringer EMGs if you dig the EMG sound. A booster pedal would tighten up the amp, but not really the guitar itself.

I'll send him an email when I figure out what guitar I want. The Ibby was really sweet - simple, yet lots of fun. Plus, it'd be so easy to mod. :idea: I'm not fully set on it, but it's definitely one of my options, next to just building my own.
There's a guy named Bryan Gunsher who does amazing work and will probably wind a set for me. If not, I'll most likely go with BKPs.

i have used a .70 for G on a 25.5 inch and a 26.5 inch scale lengths and it didn't make a noticeable difference, it wasn't flubby at all. here are some questions that might help you select better strings: are you normally a 6 string player, and if so then what tuning are you normally in? also do you prefer a looser or tighter feeling set of strings? also yes the GCFADA#G would be standard..... i think:scratch:

I'm usually in drop C. I like a tighter feeling on my dropped string, and a somewhat in-between feeling (oriented a bit more towards 'tight,' though) on the rest.
And, I meant to ask if GCFA#DG would be G standard.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
So that would match up with the lowest (seventh) string being C, right? I'd have drop C, but G standard on my six strings?

Do you see what I'm saying, or am I being retarded?

gaunten

WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!
Reaction score
for the record, I've been using a drop G tuning (Gdgcfad) on my Agile interceptor for quite some time, and I use the ernie ball 10-52 set plus an ernie ball .68 string for the G, and it works very fine. this is 25.5" btw

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
Is there any chance you can upload a clip with that? I want to hear how low it is.

')