7 string Floyd rose spring placement?

PVT_SnowBall

Reaction score
I searched and searched and couldn't find the info I need, so a new thread it is! I was wondering how you all position your tension springs. I recently got a 7 string agile with a Floyd rose special, 25.5" scale, and they only problems I'm really having with it is the tension of the lower B string, and the Trem being very hard to bend low. The way the springs came set is 3 in a row in the middle on the claw side and with the outer two going to the outer edges of the sustain block. I was thinking about putting 2 springs going to the outer bass side of the sustain block and 1 going to the treble side, anyone think that'll help? I just don't want to end up ruining something, this is my first Floyd. Thanks for any help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
There is no way in this plane of existence that the placement of springs will allow you to target the tension of just one string, so forget about it. Also, the slant of the springs will make a negligible difference, but if your problem is that it's too hard to dive the trem then you'll want the springs to be as straight as possible. Or even remove one.

PVT_SnowBall

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Pikka Bird. Well putting the two springs together on the bass side made very little difference, but at this point I'm just going to live with it considering I already have 11s on it. And I also should have added that with the strings gauges I'm using, I currently have the spring claw almost as far back as it can go. So removing a spring is out of the question. I guess I'll just have to live with it, putting 11-58s on it made the b string at least playable. So I can't complain

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a guitar tech friend who always said, if the trem starts out properly balanced, with 3 springs, you could restring with 9's or10's and just switch the outer springs from straight (for 9's) to angled inwards (for 10's).

I've got the trem on my 7-string balanced with 4 springs, strings are 11-49+68, tuned to drop-G; I could balance it with 3, angled, but (like you said) it puts the claw right against the wood in the cavity. Downside of 4 springs, it makes the trem stiff and not sensitive at all; upside, it's really stable! :lol: Toying with the idea of going back to 10's and losing a spring...

Reaction score
I use 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 62 in B standard with 3 springs in typical arrow cfg. No issues.

')