7 string guitar recommendations.

• Thread starter Dark Tranquillity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
I would like to start to ease my way into the awesomeness that you people call 7 string guitars, so without out futher a'do... can anyone recommend me an awesome 7 string that stays in tune and is not of a discontinued model. Thanks people.

I have about 700 bucks btw.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez RG1527. Online price is around $870. It's the new version of the now discontinued RG7620. It's a great guitar. I'd honestly say, though, don't waste your money on new gear when you can get great stuff used. Ebay is a great place to find Ibanez RG7620s and RG7420s, and those are great guitars that can be had for a lot less than buying new.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
RG1527 is ~$725 plus shipping from DrumCity/GuitarLand, including a most excellent set up.

www.drumcityguitarland.com

Jason takes care of you too, nice guy. I agree with Vince as well though; lots of people dumping 7620's for decent prices, if you don't want to spend > $700.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's tough to beat a 7620 as a first seven, IMO - it's a pro-quality guitar across the board, great trem, great neck, decent pickups, wide variety of switching options, and very subtle and understated in appearance. It's a good enough guitar that, if you don't like it,y ou can be pretty sure it's because you don't like 7's and not that your particular 7 was a load of crap. At the same time, you can score great specimens, cased, for less than $500, sometimes less than $400, and turn around and sell them for about what you paid down the road. So, if it doesn't work out for you, or if it does and you just want something exotic down the road, not only is the initial investment low (it's a better buy than many 6's out there now), you most likely won't take a loss if you do sell it.

-D

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
I found a 7620 for 399 on ebay, which it looks great, with dimerzo II pickups too.
I'm also looking at the schecters.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
I'd honestly say, though, don't waste your money on new gear when you can get great stuff used. Ebay is a great place to find Ibanez RG7620s and RG7420s, and those are great guitars that can be had for a lot less than buying new.
agreed

Corey Smith

Contributor
Reaction score
before 96: Universe, rg2027, or rg7620
if you can find them that is
or a new fully loaded petrucci would do!!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Corey Smith said:
before 96: Universe, rg2027, or rg7620

Both the 2027 and the 7620 weren't introduced until '99. I guess you mean pre-96 UV's?

anyway, some of those are rather pricey- the black with silver dots and black with green dots can on occasion be had reasonably, but that's about it.

-D

Corey Smith

Contributor
Reaction score
uv7bk's are about 900 usually, I didn't know that the 7620 and 2027 were so young. But yes mainly I was refering to Uni's.
I usually try to find something in the 96 or before range when looking at Ibanez, like the 550's or jem's or uni's but sometimes I make exceptions like the US and Jap customs and I guess now the 7620 and 2027, although I own a 7420

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The 2027x will not be had for less than 1000$. For the record, i paid 600$ for my UV7BK.

King Snarll

Demigod
Reaction score
Nobody else mentioned it, so you might want to look at Schecter guitars. I'm no guitar expert, but it seems that Schecter offers bang-for-the-buck that very few other companies can compete with. This is what I went with in the end, a Schecter Hellraiser C7. I finally got my guitar this week (without the broken neck my last one got in shipping) and I love it so far. Schecter guitars seem to be aimed at metal or hard rock, so if this isn't your thing...Schecter might not be for you. Sdhecter offers a huge variety of 7s to pick from as well, I believe seven factory models. I have heard many people state that Schecter is the company today that focuses more on the "7" than any other (where in the past, this was where Ibanez had a solid focus.)

You might also want to look at Jackson guitars or some folks on the list love Carvin. Ibanez isn't the only game in town :scratch: , but I'm sure they make some fine products as well! Try what you can find at the local store(s) if possible, and then compare notes with us on the boards and we can try to point you in the right direction.

Snarllmiester

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Schechter has a strong enough rep on this site that I'm VERY curious to check out a few of their guitars.

Yeah, the 7620 might have been a '98 introduction, come to think of it, but no earlier. the 2027... Hmm. my CST is a 99, and the 2027 was derrived from that, but I THINK my old 2027 was a 99 as well. Maybe they were developed in parallel?

Either way, I wouldn't discount newer Ibanez 7's, if nothing else just for the AANJ.

-D

7-string Sixpounder

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to second Schecter 7-strings. I'v play 007 elite and two C-7 models, all of which have been excellent in terms of tone and playability, especially within their price range. Throw in some new pickups and ta da. Badass axes. If your not a fan of floating tremolos or your a bit of a sustain freak they're more than worth checking out IMO.

Chris

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, the 7620 is a HUGE bang for your buck. Great hardware, pups, woods. Mine is a 1998, and I wanna say that they released in 97 or 98 (thought i saw one on the 'bay that said F97..., because i remember thinking it was older than mine...could be wrong). I also have a 91 UV7BK that is must have for anyone who has a niche to solo(greatest lead guitar i've played yet).

I have 2 schecters that i love, but my ridding myself of soon. They play great and sound good, but i'm liking the lo pro edge more and more. I also have a carvin that spanks my ass whenever i play it as well.

i have noticed the following between brands here: Ibanez has the nice flat and thin necks that seem to be by vote most popular around here. depending on model, come with good pups, and some of the best hardware, and great build quality.
The schecters have one hell of a bang for the buck in terms of quality, parts and playability. but, the necks are chunkier, but not hard to adjust to at all. this is subject to taste, each person has differents pleasures.
the carvins are a hybrid (when i compare all of my guitars). The neck is not as flat and thin as the wizard, but not as thick as the schecter. It comes with different choices of woods and finishes that add that 'customizing' feeling. they play wonderful and sound great(mine is the 2 humbucker model with mahogany body and neck). they cost a little more, but not too much when you compare with UV's and petrucci's and such. these are american made that have great craftsmanship and hardware, but arguable pickups (i like them, and don't plan on changing them but others hate them. The aren't as cutting as name brands, but they have a good amount of low end and i can add treble with the active eq on the guitar and it just screams).

Just my two cents

')