7 string ibanez-like project

• Thread starter SanekN
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SanekN

Reaction score
Hello guys! I'm new here =) Just decided to show you my actual 7-string project for the guitarist of Weaksaw, french metal band.

SO here we go! This will be ibanez/dinky inspired flattop solidbody, cuban mahogany for the body with flamed maple top and plain maple neck with ebony fingerboard. Also we have all black hardware : tonepros tom bridge, sperzels, some gotoh hardware, cts pot for just one volume etc...:metal:

patterns :

my sketch for the final result :

Woods =)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SanekN

Reaction score

Very important part for beer-belly =)

faor the hand too =)

neck pocket :

neck...

some graphite :

Sorry for the long post and have a nice day! :cool:

SanekN

Reaction score
Thanx to all! Templates - no i know some guys who make it with laser using the .dwg you send them, this set cost me 45 euros =)

SanekN

Reaction score
Thank you! =) Actually he plays a cheap LTD SC207, I just brought my second handmade 6-string to him, he said that he loved the look of it and he wanna the same but 7 strings, ebony fretboard and black see-thru finish on the top... Esp horizon is the other guy's. Now he have ltd sc607...

This is my second one I made with my old jackson's neck, the sound is good... =) The shape is basicly jackson soloist/ran crusher's with some little changes

Munch

Luthier
Reaction score
Wow, really good work! Also, I am extremely curious about the top. did you use heat to bend it to conform to the contours on the main body piece? I have wanted to curve thick pieces like that but wasn't sure what the best way to do it would be. It looks really awesome!

SanekN

Reaction score
Thanx man, both tops are 7mm thick so it's still quite thin, I think you can make it with like 1cm thick tops but not shure about it, think it's possible! =) Firsly you must make it slowly like 3 steps of 15 minutes between each, on the both tops i bended i just put some hot water on it and heat with hair-dryer when bending, it comes on very nicely, but the body shape must be perfect for perfect feat (thanks cap!), the joins are not perfect everywhere, but acceptable, all is my fault - not enough of clamps, anyway you have this method too :

Lepsky Guitars -

in this case joints will be just perfect =D

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking very clean so far, awesome work! I'm really liking that cut away on the lower horn for fret access. I also think that I would prefer to use your method of heat + water to bend the top rather than screwing it down like in that link you posted; seems much more safe to me, but then again I can't read Russian so I'm sure there is more to it than just that. :lol:

SanekN

Reaction score
Thanx for your comment! The result is better in his way, but this is a professional and i'm just an amateur =) He put some water before binding the wood too

spilla

Reaction score
Very nice work, love the lower horn cutaways and the electronics cavity!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Man, I would kill for something like this (no I wouldn't, but I do like it a whole lot). Very inspirationally clean work.

What does it say under the tuners on the back of the neck?

Also, I love that screw-down bending method shown on that other forum. A little question- you say to put warm water on the top, but how warm, and do you just pour liberal amounts of it on the outside of the top, or what?

Latest posts

')