7 string ibanez-like project

• Thread starter SanekN
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TankJon666

Reaction score
F*ck! Sucks about the truss rod. What are the chances of that happening!

Still. That guitar looks amazing. Really, really fantastic job. That heel is something else!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TankJon666

Reaction score
That's really unfortunate dude. Are you sure it's busted? How do you know? You might just have to really wrench it or turn it the other way and turn it back again. It's a good idea to test your truss rod before putting it in your neck. I didn't with my first build and now I'm sketched out about it :lol: You can test it by putting the non adjustable end in a vice and turning the rod. If it works like it's supposed to then put it in! Definitely will be doing that on my next builds.

Haha same here! Didn't test my truss rod either ...getting a bit panicky after reading this. Fingers crossed for both of us!

SanekN

Reaction score
Thanx dude, on the other hand, it's not so difficult to change the truss rod after all, but the customer will see later, for the moment it's perfect as is =)

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
wow man, very impressive. :yesway:

mwcarl

Reaction score
Like the body shape and the finish looks good. Curious though whether there are any intonation problems with the bridge saddles the way they are.

SanekN

Reaction score
yeah, not enough space for right intonation for 7th string, but everything else is ok... I will move new frets 3mm above the bridge this time. I've got the bridge placement from the stewmac site, but not enough for This gauge... Just enough for 9th or 10th, but 11-54-64 not enough =) I'm still an amateur after all...

I decided to make new fretboard with better fretting, better intonation and change the truss rod beacause the action on this guitar dramatically sucks!

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
yeah, not enough space for right intonation for 7th string, but everything else is ok... I will move new frets 3mm above the bridge this time. I've got the bridge placement from the stewmac site, but not enough for This gauge... Just enough for 9th or 10th, but 11-54-64 not enough =) I'm still an amateur after all...

I decided to make new fretboard with better fretting, better intonation and change the truss rod beacause the action on this guitar dramatically sucks!

If you do that, try fixing the intonation problem moving the neck upwards.

Or build another neck and save this for another guitar...

You can also make a 25 " scale fretboard for it to have the intonation right

SanekN

Reaction score
If you do that, try fixing the intonation problem moving the neck upwards.

Or build another neck and save this for another guitar...

You can also make a 25 " scale fretboard for it to have the intonation right

I dont have money for make another neck unfortunately, nor tools, so i have to make just new fretboard, it's nice idea to make the scale a little bit smaller than 27 to reach good settings on the bridge... 25 seems too small for me, but something like 26,8 can be the way to go!

metalman_ltd : thanx man! =)

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
My tech told me that if the bridge is just a bit too far back for proper intonation to just shim the neck forward a bit to get that extra little bit. Hopefully the new fretboard works out for you. Alas, the guitar was too good to be true. :lol:

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
I dont have money for make another neck unfortunately, nor tools, so i have to make just new fretboard, it's nice idea to make the scale a little bit smaller than 27 to reach good settings on the bridge... 25 seems too small for me, but something like 26,8 can be the way to go!

metalman_ltd : thanx man! =)

Oh i thought it was a 25 1/2" scale model. Yup, make it a bit shorter, maybe 26,8 or 26.5" and you'll be able to intonate it properly.

I have made that mistake before, and it is very unpleasant. In fact, i have thos PRS guitar i made with birds inlays and all and i can´t intonate it because i used stew mac bridge locator.

If i use a 24 3/4" fretboard it might be good.

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
the way i position the bridge is like this.

Measure the fretboard from the nut to the 12th fret, i take that measure, from the 12th fret to the body. I trace a line at that point, then, place the bridge, with all the saddles towards the neck and then i use the Caparison method if i am going to down tune. Move the bridge 3 mm towards the butt end of the guitar. If it's a tune o matic, besides doing that you gotta tilt the bass string parts 2 mm further to the butt end of the guitar.

Hope it is clear and easy to understand.

SanekN

Reaction score
the way i position the bridge is like this.

Measure the fretboard from the nut to the 12th fret, i take that measure, from the 12th fret to the body. I trace a line at that point, then, place the bridge, with all the saddles towards the neck and then i use the Caparison method if i am going to down tune. Move the bridge 3 mm towards the butt end of the guitar. If it's a tune o matic, besides doing that you gotta tilt the bass string parts 2 mm further to the butt end of the guitar.

Hope it is clear and easy to understand.

Thanx man I will follow your tips next time I make another 7 string! =)

SanekN

Reaction score
HELLO AGAIN, dudes! =D I just changed the truss and the fingerboard! Action lowered, new high frets, 26,8 inches worked, the thing intonate perfectly... Aannd, I just gave it 25 frets this time (more space with 26,8). Sound didn't changed, just cleaner with new fretwork =)

')