7 string Jazzmaster ideas

• Thread starter timbryant99
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

timbryant99

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am considering building a 7 string Jazzmaster type guitar. I am trying to get some feedback to see what people think of vintage style 7 string guitars. Any thoughts on color, wood selection, binding, scale, etc.. would be super helpful. I am thinking 2 P90s.

-Tim

Perhaps a Jazzmaster version of this one..

Attachments

• Seafoam Jag 1.jpg
    Seafoam Jag 1.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
7 string jazzmaster are a constant dream. I say do it in a classy three color burst.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Tom from Oakland Axe Factory is going to do a run of these, I think. Check out his thread in the dealers section.

timbryant99

Reaction score
I checked out Fast Guitars' facebook page and saw the protoypes. They are indeed pretty slick.

How about a Fiesta Red Jazzmaster with a headstock closer to that of a Fender's? Perhaps, a matching red headstock?

celticelk

Reaction score
I posted my thoughts on Jazzmaster 7s over in the OAF thread in the dealers section. I can say unequivocally that I'm not going to be interested in anything done up in the "classic" Fender solid colors or bursts. I prefer clear (preferably satin) finishes over good-looking wood, or black.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I love the jazzmaster/jaguar body shape and I say go for it. I personally would like to see a solid color (that example of one you got is something I would probably get) and get a standard scale length for the 7th string.

bhakan

Reaction score
I would kill for a 7 string version of the guitar you posted. Literally a perfect guitar for me.

GuyB

Reaction score
I built a 7 string Jazzmaster style guitar for myself earlier in the year (2015).

(There's no trem, because I never use one)

JazzMaster7string_zps3a3f5b9c.jpg

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I posted my thoughts on Jazzmaster 7s over in the OAF thread in the dealers section. I can say unequivocally that I'm not going to be interested in anything done up in the "classic" Fender solid colors or bursts. I prefer clear (preferably satin) finishes over good-looking wood, or black.

Looks like you would like my idea for a custom Halo, then:

download%203_zpsjmrdu9sk.jpg

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I am trying to get some feedback to see what people think of vintage style 7 string guitars.

Here are my thoughts:
MOAR! :scream: More classic body shapes, with 7 Strings and Baritone scales!
NOW! :scream:

OK Hysteria aside, I personally would love a 7 String version of the Jim Root sans the EMG's. I basically love all his sigs because they are so no-nonsense.

In terms of wood it would depend on how traditional you want to go: Alder and Ash are the classic choices though.

I'd do P90's if you like them. But again what do you like, if you're getting it build do what you want not what we all want. If I was building it myself there would probably be an HSP90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge.

Halowords

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am considering building a 7 string Jazzmaster type guitar. I am trying to get some feedback to see what people think of vintage style 7 string guitars. Any thoughts on color, wood selection, binding, scale, etc.. would be super helpful. I am thinking 2 P90s.

-Tim

Perhaps a Jazzmaster version of this one..

I'm kind of with the "MOAR" comment. But it may depend a bit on where you want to go with it. I could see a 30" being more along the lines of a Fender seven-string Bass VI(I). In that case, a Bass VII would probably be best served with an EADGBEA tuning so you get the low-E an octave down, and still have one string higher. But You could also go with something like a 27" or 28" and have a low-B string in a BEADGBE tuning. A 24.75" to 27" fan might be kind of cool and is the sort of stuff I dream about that keeps me up at night. :D

Color? The blue you posted or a seafoam green could be cool. I'm a bit partial to transparent finishes over wood, so a nice Swamp Ash body would be good for that, maybe a clear natural finish, an antique look, or you could go translucent black, a burst (how's that for non-specific), or really whatever suits your fancy. If going with a classic pickguard, I think a yellow/amber stain on an Ash body with a black pickup (ala. Bruce Springsteen's Telecaster) would look nice. I'm guessing a Maple neck (possibly with or subbing in something like Bubinga, Walnut, you could go Mahogany, or fairly exotic. Maple or Rosewood is more traditional for the fretboard. Goncalo Alves may be a nice wood to consider. But all of this is pretty subjective. Binding, it would look cool to me either way.

I think a lot of the options depend on what you want to do with it, whether going for more of a traditional Fender vibe or something more of a vintage-modern twist. Overall though, I think it is a cool idea. Best of luck, and I would love to see this come to fruition.

-Cheers

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
^^

Yes that would be cool, like the Ibanez 7 String they put out a few years back that was tuned exactly like that. I thought would be a cool concept actually for a drone band, to tune an octave or more below 7 string B standard and do what Om do.

That might be pretty cool :hmmm:

Thats what I think of at night :lol:

timbryant99

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, guys. This is very helpful. It appears people are either in the market for a metal jazzmaster or retro style. The one in the picture above is a baritone seafoam green 7 string Jaguar that I did a few years back. It is a real monster.

If I make the Jazzmaster, the intention is to sell it. Perhaps, the safe bet it to do solid color and humbuckers. That way there is enough of the vintage aesthetic yet it can rock hard. Fiesta Red and stacked P90's is my thought. And maybe the Seymour Duncan Blackout Modular Preamp circuit for a little extra hair.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I built a 7 string Jazzmaster style guitar for myself earlier in the year (2015).

(There's no trem, because I never use one)

JazzMaster7string_zps3a3f5b9c.jpg

Duuuude! Did you NGD that?! How did I miss that? That's amazing!

Halowords

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, guys. This is very helpful. It appears people are either in the market for a metal jazzmaster or retro style. The one in the picture above is a baritone seafoam green 7 string Jaguar that I did a few years back. It is a real monster.

Well, it pays to keep in mind the general audience here. Plus, your comment on putting in two P90's screams retro/rock stuff.

I think a modern take would be nice too. A solid top (routed from the back with no pickguard) perhaps with a figured top (Maple, Ash, Walnut, Bubinga, Goncalo Alves, Mahogany, whatever), or stick with paint, not necessarily black or Fender traditional but maybe). And black could either be metal, classy for a Jazz concert or for a "tuxedo" look, or anything in between. And there are apparently some solid-top Jazzmasters out there if the Internet is to be believed:

electric-guitars-platforms-jazzmaster-limited-bottom-feature.jpg

But I think Jazzmaster screams more of the Indie Rock or Surfer Rock to me than it does just about anything else, even though it can probably be used for most anything. I mean, if Aaron Turner from Isis can use a Telecaster Deluxe...

As for your plans...

If I make the Jazzmaster, the intention is to sell it. Perhaps, the safe bet it to do solid color and humbuckers. That way there is enough of the vintage aesthetic yet it can rock hard. Fiesta Red and stacked P90's is my thought. And maybe the Seymour Duncan Blackout Modular Preamp circuit for a little extra hair.

There are a lot of ways you could go with that. A solid top or w/ pick guard, you could go with a solid color, show off some nice wood grain with a transparent/tinted finish. If you want to just make it then sell it, I would stick with a vintage aesthetic. Seafoam green would work for me, or that light Fender blue. Really, any of the standard finishes or paint jobs would probably go over well. And something like the one pictured above with the figured top opens up more options stylistically. I really quite like that. For the pickups, perhaps some nice rock-orientated humbuckers that could be pushed hard (although somebody would probably love this thing until death if you had P90s or Fender-y style pickups and you can do a LOT with those too) but that would clean up nice enough. Somebody could always swap them out. And if the SD Blackout preamp lets you add a little more oomph, you've got a pretty diverse instrument.

-Cheers

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
idk man sometimes I think that market research departments for guitar companies are just reading this site. SSO practically predicts the next seasons guitars.

')