7-string Megadeth

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
damn, I might have to go see these guys when they come to mass now :agreed:
Chris should be well into the groove by them :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda OT: Chris owning Marty Friedman's solo on tornado of souls. (shitty quality).

I can't watch that at work, but I'm going to guess he is playing better than Marty ever did outside of a studio. I love his work on RIP, but man was he a sloppy live player. Meanwhile, I watched Chris stand toe to toe with Jeff Loomis, and I could have sworn he was holding back out of respect for Jeff's band.

Glen wasn't bad, but he just bored the living shit out of me. Just stood there with a straight place and played everything with no dynamics.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Chris should be well into the groove by them :shred:

It takes him zero time to get "into the groove". Seriously. The guy is just that talented, has played far more complicated stuff with far less time to get up to speed, and is always an animal on stage. This actually reminds me of when Al Pitrelli got a phone call, spent two days practicing, and then jumped on a plane to the next 'deth gig.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kiddo, George Van Eps has been playing 7 strings since the 1930's. I played my 1st 7 string 15 years ago, an Ibanez Universe, which came out in 1990. An uncle bought that for me from a music store in Japan, so it was in production.

I don't blame you though if you first heard of 7 strings from KoRn.

Anyway, let's keep the discussion to Chris' 7 string skills and the possibility of affecting Megadeth's music.

I'm not really sure who you're addressing there, but if you think this site is just a bunch of kids who listen to Korn who don't know what they're talking about, you are mistaken, and that attitude doesn't fly here.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been playing 7 strings while most of you were on diapers, so the sarcasm and lame analogies are uncalled for.

No, you haven't, actually. Again, I don't know who you think you are, or who you think you're talking to with this bullshit attitude, but you seem to have my website confused with Harmony Central. This is the only warning that I'll give you. If you want to remain a member of this community you will respect the members of my site.

Jumping to conclusions and making wild, childish assumptions about a memberbase 8,000 strong isn't the best way to introduce yourself. Regardless of how long you've been playing, comments like this one give us the impression that you've learned nothing in all that time. If you want to point out "sarcasm and lame analogies", feel free to look directly in the mirror.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Kinda OT: Chris owning Marty Friedman's solo on tornado of souls. (shitty quality).

Wow. Completely destroys Glen's version and he plays it even better than Marty who wrote the damn solo. :lol:

Sebastian

Reaction score
Cool.. i always liked Marty .. but Chris is amazing ... even if he plays an Ibanez :yesway:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow. Completely destroys Glen's version and he plays it even better than Marty who wrote the damn solo. :lol:

:agreed: That was almost supernaturally perfect! I really hope we get to hear Chris contribute some of his own ideas to the band sometime soon. Even if there's no low B riffage on the next 'Deth album (which I honestly don't think would fit Megadeth's sound, and as others have said, isn't the only advantage of the seven-string), I remember Dave saying he was really impressed with his classical playing, so it would be cool to hear a little of that go into the mix...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It takes him zero time to get "into the groove". Seriously. The guy is just that talented, has played far more complicated stuff with far less time to get up to speed, and is always an animal on stage. This actually reminds me of when Al Pitrelli got a phone call, spent two days practicing, and then jumped on a plane to the next 'deth gig.

To quote something he said in the interview we did with him:

Chris Broderick said:
Honestly, I think that I am as guilty as the next person, but I am trying to use shred in a more musical way. For example I used to just think, "for this riff I will play fast" and now I like to think "well I am ending a melody on this G note but would like to end the whole solo on an A so why don't I do a sextuplet scale run ascending to it since I have a measure to do so".

That just blows my mind. I mean, I'm no theory slouch or anything, but he's just in a whole different world.

That's my sole contribution to this thread. :agreed:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Chris a body builder or something? He doesn't seem THAT big in pics I've seen :lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That just blows my mind. I mean, I'm no theory slouch or anything, but he's just in a whole different world.

That's my sole contribution to this thread. :agreed:

Exactly my point, and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the stuff he knows. Watching the betcha can't play this vids, his explanation of what he is doing is often scarier than his playing itsef. Loomis may have scary technique, but Broderick has scary technique and a music professor's knowledge. When those are the tools at your disposal, I honestly can't see Megadeth being much of a challenge.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Chris a body builder or something? He doesn't seem THAT big in pics I've seen :lol:

3.jpg

5.jpg

I don't have legs that big. :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
makes me wonder if GL and broderick hang out, lol

thedonutman

Reaction score
I dont care what Chris or Megadeth do, as long as he doesn't start playing Dean.

')