7 String Opinions

• Thread starter Russ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm coming over to the dark side and looking for a 7. I would really appreciate anyone's opinion on their top 3 or 4 choices and why you would recommend them. I've got some ideas, but I don't want to bias anyone's response by giving my musical interests. The only limitation I have is that my budget can't exceed about $1,000. I'd appreciate any advice or opinions anyone may have to offer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Well, you want an Ibanez or a Schecter probably. There are others but they're usually not quite as good.

If you're not sure you want a 7, I'd say get the cheapest one you can. Something like this: http://www.aslindane.com/images/Teaza7web.jpg like I got on ebay. Agile Interceptor or Septor if you want to spend a little more...or you can look through ebay or the classified section here. I got a used blackjack for around $400...a couple dings but it's beautiful regardless...maybe the nicest guitar I own...

And welcome :wavey:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This very much depends on the options you want. Floyd? Fixed? Piezo? What type of music do you play? There are a TON of options in the sub-1k range, and we really do need to know what you're into before we can help you. I like floyds, blazes, basswood and play metal, but there are guys here that prefer the exact opposite.

The best advice I can give you is to read the forums, really. There are TONS of threads on all of the "top" guitars.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I have many answers, but i dont want to bias you by telling you which I prefer. ;p

Russ

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm definitely committed to getting a 7, and I want a good one. Sorry if it was too open ended a question - at the end of the day I'm a metalhead (<:YEAA:shred: AAAH:>), but I would really like something that is all around a good ax for crushing bones but at the same time clean up well for fingerstyle classical type stuff. Maybe a weird combo, I know... To be honest, I've been looking for weeks at either the hellraiser or loomis signature from schecter - I've had a hard time finding one to try out though...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well, for build quality/price, schecter is unbeatable. If you want a better clean sound, try some of their passive combo'ed models, like the C7 Blackjack, or even a 007 Elite if you want to stick with 25.5" scale.
Otherwise, if you fancy the EMG's, the Hellraiser is a good choice. I just got a Hellraiser recently, and it absolutely crushes for metal.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
If you like the Hellraiser, but want something that won't put your back out from weighing a ton, go for the ESP LTD SC-607B ;) Build quality on it is fantastic, as is the hardware, and the neck profile is better suited to faster playing than the Hellraiser, in my opinion

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I say get a beater universe, RG7620,RG7420 or buy a new 1527 and throw some DiMarzios into it

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
If you like the Hellraiser, but want something that won't put your back out from weighing a ton, go for the ESP LTD SC-607B ;) Build quality on it is fantastic, as is the hardware, and the neck profile is better suited to faster playing than the Hellraiser, in my opinion

Hellraiser? Heavy?

Russ

Reaction score
I'm not worried so much about the weight, I'm just lookin for a great ax and some recommendations from anyone that has a great 7 that they really love!

I'm new on forums, and I'll be checking out some of the reviews as recommended, but if you have a killer 7 that you can't live without - LET ME KNOW - it's a new venture and I want to get something good to start with so I don't regret the purchase...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd also reccomend a groove tools from conklin, if you can find one used. they're great guitars, and they only cost around 300-320$ or so. they come with nuetrik jacks and locking tuners, stock. They're also made from cherry, and have a 5pieces maple/walnut(I believe)neck. I have one and my tentative plans for it (Whenever i get around to it) are putting in some new pickups and a peizo.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter Loomis
Ibanez RG7620/7621
Agile Interceptor Pro
RG7EXFX2

but in that price range you can occasionally find an old universe or RG2027 and don't forget the Xiphos will be available soon.

HaGGuS

Banned
Reaction score
loomis sig model is fucking awesome..
my favorite 7..
i also own a hellraiser..
its HEAPS lighter than the loomis..
also a sweet guitar
ibanez also make some nice guitars..
the s7320 and the rg series 7,s are also very worthy contenders..

RiffRaff

Reaction score
Got a Loomis for my first seven about a month ago. It's awesome dude. Possibly the best decision I've ever made in my life :lol: :wub:

')