7 String or Baritone

• Thread starter Dhare46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dhare46

Reaction score
So i'm looking at branching out and investing in either a baritone or a 7 string guitar.

I'd mainly use it for the likes of Edge of sanity, Hypocrisy, Tagtgrens solo band Pain, At the gates and Amon Amarth. Although i would also be able to use a 7 string to play songs in standard tuning however with a baritone i would be pretty much limited to low tunings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GXPO

Reaction score
When writing you own music a 7 string can be game changing, It took me out of a serious rut and now I couldn't imagine writing without one.

If you get the baritone you will play similarly to before possibly at lower tunings.

I say get the 7! good luck.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I am primarily a 6 string player. However, I do like my 7 for when I need to be creative. I have my 6's tuned down to B, and to me, the 7 string sounds more natural. Maybe it is just me, but the thicker strings I use on my 6's loose some of the natural presence of a normal tuned guitar.

It does take a while to adjust to the 7 string, but I was 40 years old when I bought my first 7 (can't teach an old dog new tricks), so if I can adjust, I would think just about any one can.

Then, there is just something special about saying you play a 7 string guitar. :)

Dhare46

Reaction score
When writing you own music a 7 string can be game changing, It took me out of a serious rut and now I couldn't imagine writing without one.

If you get the baritone you will play similarly to before possibly at lower tunings.

I say get the 7! good luck.

I'd say i was leaning towards the 7 more, i would probably want to spend about £500 (roughly $800). For that price am i best of looking at ibanez and schecter

jl-austin

Reaction score
I would look into one of the Ibanez premium 7's (if you want a tremolo). Best bang for the buck there.

If you want a hard tail, I would say either the LTD MH-417 or the Ibanez Apex-2.

Or try to find a nice used Ibanez RG-1527.

Dhare46

Reaction score
I am primarily a 6 string player. However, I do like my 7 for when I need to be creative. I have my 6's tuned down to B, and to me, the 7 string sounds more natural. Maybe it is just me, but the thicker strings I use on my 6's loose some of the natural presence of a normal tuned guitar.

It does take a while to adjust to the 7 string, but I was 40 years old when I bought my first 7 (can't teach an old dog new tricks), so if I can adjust, I would think just about any one can.

Then, there is just something special about saying you play a 7 string guitar. :)

My main 6 is in D standard and i'd probably miss the high notes too much in B tunings, I'm not too worried about adjusting, a few days solid playing would sort it out :shred:

Dhare46

Reaction score
I would look into one of the Ibanez premium 7's (if you want a tremolo). Best bang for the buck there.

If you want a hard tail, I would say either the LTD MH-417 or the Ibanez Apex-2.

Or try to find a nice used Ibanez RG-1527.

Well i'd rather have a tremolo tbh, and from what i've heard the Tremolo on the Ibanez prestige series is very good (Zero edge or whatever it's called, cant remember off the top of my head)

jl-austin

Reaction score
If you want to look for used, a nice RG7620 (which has one of the best tremolo systems ever), or a RG1527.

Dhare46

Reaction score
It seems most of the Rg 1527s i can find are about £750 which is probably a little out of my price range i think

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'd say 7 string, nothing to lose having a high E!
However, if you're going to tune down below B (could even argue this staying in B!) then you may find the tone of a baritone 6 more satisfactory, if the high E is not important to you.
If you can find an Ibanez RGD, they are all baritone. 420, 6 string tremolo. 7421, 7 string hardtail, RGD 421, 6 string hardtail. RGD 2120Z, 6 string tremolo prestige. 2127Z, 7 string tremolo prestige.

revlover

Reaction score
Well you say you're looking to branch out. Getting another 6er isn't really branching out, is it? Go 7!

Dhare46

Reaction score
I'd say 7 string, nothing to lose having a high E!
However, if you're going to tune down below B (could even argue this staying in B!) then you may find the tone of a baritone 6 more satisfactory, if the high E is not important to you.
If you can find an Ibanez RGD, they are all baritone. 420, 6 string tremolo. 7421, 7 string hardtail, RGD 421, 6 string hardtail. RGD 2120Z, 6 string tremolo prestige. 2127Z, 7 string tremolo prestige.

The RGD 7421 looks like its about the right price for what i'm after, and i'm probably better off without a tremolo

ImSideways

The Mutt
Reaction score
Lots of alternate tunings on a 7 string, extended range, and more chord voicings. I personally would go with a 7.

cgraci

Reaction score
dont get a baritone. get a seven but make sure its at least 27" scale. You get the best of both worlds. I got a seven 25" scale and 8 27" inch . Just bought agile 7 string 28.625" scale. If your getting a seven makes sure its 27" or more. You can do so much more with a seven than a baritone. I was in your shoes. Chances are youll want to use a drop tunning and the guitar will require a longer scale. My advice is to buy a cheap sevenstring like agile and buy some sick pickups. Actives 707's or passive bareknuckes depending what sound youre looking for. I would stay passive. Sorry i wrote so much . I eat, sleep, and poop guitars. : )

wrongnote85

Reaction score
you're posting on a 7 string forum man, what do you think we're gonna say!?

(the answer is 7 string)

Alex6534

Reaction score
I say go for 7, it didn't take me long to adjust to the extra string and I must say, it is so much easier now! I look at it this way, I have every standard tuning down to B and with lowering the B to drop A I have every dropped tuning, granted maybe without the open chugging but there's ways around that. An my poor les paul now collects dust :(

Musza

Reaction score
I went back to 25'5 7 from 27' simply becouse 25'5 is much more comfortable for me and can handle at least drop A.

When I bought my first 7 string I thought it will open some new gates of creativity to me. When I was 6 string player I was using all 6 strings but when I bought my 7 string I was ussing only the lowest string :D (hopefully now I'm using much more - 2 lowest strings!!!)

...I wouldn't say I prefer 6 or 7 or baritone. I found them to be a different instruments. When I write on my 7 the stuff isn't even similar to 6 string stuff. Totally different thinking/feel/ideas/etc.

Latest posts

')