7-string passives with big, punchy low-end / BKP Ragnarok opinions?

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Using a JB7 in my Arrow, I like that it's not super modern so the low end is a bit loose and massive-sounding, but it's too loose, 7th-string notes smear too much. Black Winter 7 is pleasantly tighter but it's unreliable - I've found it way too nasal in some guitars. Put one in my SV and it's full cocked wah honk. Both are more brittle in the highs than I'd like.

I want something that does the old-school BIG AND THICC low-end bloom ike the JB/BW, but with faster bass tracking and less note smearing. Snarling "thrashy" mids rather than nasal "djenty" mids.

I like the thump and more balanced mids of the Duncan Custom but it doesn't have enough output.
I like the PATB1's mid profile, articulation + sustain for leads more than the JB but Duncan won't do PATB-7s.
I've tried the Nazgul and hated it.
The Invader is an interesting proposition but probably too boomy and loose in the lows from what I've heard?
Considering adding ceramic flankers to the JB although I listened to @KnightBrolaire 's A5 Black Winter demo and wasn't very enthused with how it sounded.
I've heard good things about the Duncan Omega but it seems very light on the bass compared to what I want.

I emailed Tim from BKP and he recommended the Silo for a beefy low end, or the Ragnarok for beefy lows + more compression + output. From clips the Ragnarok *seems* like it might be what I'm looking for but hard to tell - all the demos are very djenty, which isn't what I play at all (melo-black/thrash/speed metal). Hard to justify spending BKP money blind so if anyone's used one I'd love to hear thoughts, especially comparisons to Duncan 7 pickups, or any negative opinions in general.

Any input greatly appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
This is a very subjective opinion, but I like the Ragnaroks. In my opinion, they're versatile. I've played a fellow musician's Jackson Misha signature for a couple of weeks and they checked all of the boxes for me: tight, easy to dial in, versatile. I chose Ragnaroks for my Aristides 070R build. Time will tell if i made a mistake or not.

However, I play a weird mix of groove / progressive metal, which isn't death or thrash. I have a set of Aftermaths in an Ibanez RGA71AL that have a definite midrange honk that's hard to eliminate when I don't want that particular sound. I didn't have that issue with the Ragnaroks or the Titans. I will say that the Lundgren M7s sound tighter and dryer with my setup.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Ceramic Warpig! I love mine and it's just massive without too much low lows. Tight lows but still feels a little loose like a JB, and not as much output as you'd expect. It is in swamp ash (Loomis C-7) if tonewood matters.
I was also really tempted on the Rags but have not gone for them yet (for my Osiris 8 string).

If you want to save a little there is always the Boot Camp Brute Force. Supposed to be like a slightly pulled back Warpig from what I read a long time ago, I don't have any experience with it.

I want something that does the old-school BIG AND THICC low-end bloom ike the JB/BW, but with faster bass tracking and less note smearing. Snarling "thrashy" mids rather than nasal "djenty" mids.

Latest posts

')