7 string purchase advice

liam_scourge

Reaction score
Hey,
This is my first post so I hope I've placed it in the right thread.
My band have just changed our tuning from drop G on sevens to also having a low D on top of that.
We're not wanting to move to 8's so are sticking with the tuning of DGDGCFA
It's going to cost me enough to get my guitar setup and new pickups that I may as well buy a new one, I'm noob as .... with guitar stuff so was wondering for some recommendations of some good guitars between the 800-1200 aud price range that could handle an 84 for the low string and that comes with pickups good enough to handle that low D.
I don't have many preferences so pen to all suggestions
Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
All due respect, but unless the current scale length on your guitar is less than 25.5, just learning how to do a decent setup with the right gauge strings is a much cheaper, viable solution.

Unless of course, you just feel like buying a new guitar. Then go right ahead. :lol:

liam_scourge

Reaction score
For the price of a setup, decent pickups, getting the pickups installed and a new bonenut as well I might as well get another guitar and just keep my current 7 how it is.
Those are all things I'd need to be able to pull off that low D nicely live, plus my current guitar will need a fret dress in the next month or two which I wouldn't majorly bother with if it was no longer my main guitar.