7 string single coils

• Thread starter shishin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shishin

Reaction score
I have a Schecter 007 Elite and I want to swap out the pickups for something better. I use both the single coil and the bridge humbucker while playing and the single coil is killing alot of my distortion. So, I'm looking for a hotter single coil to balance it out a little. I was looking at getting the Blaze Bridge as well if that makes a difference to what you would suggest. I can't find ANY single coil seven string pickups so I need alot of help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
theres a blaze single... do you like the scooped mids sound? cause thats all you'll get out of the blaze bridge :lol: if you don't think about the blaze custom...

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You can always get Seymour Duncan to make a custom one for you, any way you like.

shishin

Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
You can always get Seymour Duncan to make a custom one for you, any way you like.

I have a feeling that's not cheap. I'm only 15 so the money problems seem to come up alot. Thanks though. I'll check into that.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
rogue said:
wehey another 15 year old....we rule :cool:
questioon - what can a person ru8le at 15? i didn't rule shit, except the spankatorium, pretty much.

um.... 7 string single coils? shit...drew has a single in his blaze that is custom jobby. i can't think of much for this. drew needs to chime in his drunken ass!

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
you could also have jason lollar custom wind a pickup for you, though i'm not sure if you need to provide a bobbin for a 7 or not...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mine started life as a blaze humbucker, and was converted into a far, far superior product by the hands of Frank Falbo. :metal:

Custom wound pickups are really your best bet here... The Blaze single is really pretty uninspiring. It's compressed, dark, and thick in the mids, while I've always liked singlecoils for their open, airy attack, "clang" when you dig in, and the combination of restrained lower mids and good upper mid presence. The best you can say about the Blaze is it's response and EQ curve works rather well with other humbuckers, in that it DOES sound a bit like a 'bucker.

I happen to love the Blaze bridge, but it's worht noting that I'm using a freakishly resonant UV7PWH and running it into a super-mid-heavy Mesa Nomad... Through a less resonant guitar into a naturally scooped amp, I'd probably have issues with it, but with my current setup, it compliments the rest of the peices of my signal chain perfectly.

shishin

Reaction score
Ya. If I have to I'll boost the mids on my amp a little. It's not THAT scooped is it? I guess I'll look at a custom single coil but I don't really use it that mush. I was gonna get it and lower so most of the sound is coming from the bridge. I'm not sure that will work but it's worth a try I suppose.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
it is THAT scooped... personally i'd get a blaze custom, gives you more control, instead of starting you out with a handicap.

shishin

Reaction score
Elysian said:
it is THAT scooped... personally i'd get a blaze custom, gives you more control, instead of starting you out with a handicap.

Ya. I'll do that then.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elysian said:

I couldn't disagree more - I won't discount the possibility that maybe there's just something weird with my particular Blaze bridge, but mine doesn't strike me as having an overbearing lack of midrange... Again, there are SO many factors in play here and the fact that the guitar itself is acoustically pretty dark and full and my amp is very focused in the mids are I'm sure factors that don't hurt, but my experience has been the "mid scoop" in the Blaze bridge is a lot more subtle than is generally thought.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Drew said:
I couldn't disagree more - I won't discount the possibility that maybe there's just something weird with my particular Blaze bridge, but mine doesn't strike me as having an overbearing lack of midrange... Again, there are SO many factors in play here and the fact that the guitar itself is acoustically pretty dark and full and my amp is very focused in the mids are I'm sure factors that don't hurt, but my experience has been the "mid scoop" in the Blaze bridge is a lot more subtle than is generally thought.
well, i judge by my ear, and my ear is backed up by the tone chart on dimarzio.com.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elysian said:
well, i judge by my ear, and my ear is backed up by the tone chart on dimarzio.com.

As do I, dude. The Blaze may not have the mids of a Tone Zone, but that's sorta the point, IMO - it's not half as scooped as you're making it out to be, my tone certianly isn't what anyone would call "scooped." Throw a Blaze in mahogany, with so much midrange to begin with, and it should sound pretty balanced.

Shishin, if you want I can get you some sound clips of the Blaze bridge in my PWH, although in basswood and through my amp it'll sound nothing like it would in mahogany and through your rig, unless you happen to play a Mesa Nomad, too. ;)

The bigger question though if we're going to get that deeply into bridge pickup selection, is what's the rest of your rig like and what sort of music do you play?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also the SD Custom shop rewinds pickups and that's a bit cheaper than getting a new one, just if you were wondering.

shishin

Reaction score
Drew said:
As do I, dude. The Blaze may not have the mids of a Tone Zone, but that's sorta the point, IMO - it's not half as scooped as you're making it out to be, my tone certianly isn't what anyone would call "scooped." Throw a Blaze in mahogany, with so much midrange to begin with, and it should sound pretty balanced.

Shishin, if you want I can get you some sound clips of the Blaze bridge in my PWH, although in basswood and through my amp it'll sound nothing like it would in mahogany and through your rig, unless you happen to play a Mesa Nomad, too. ;)

The bigger question though if we're going to get that deeply into bridge pickup selection, is what's the rest of your rig like and what sort of music do you play?

well I play proggish and alternative metal stuff. The stuff I play closest resembles Tool and Alice in chains but it's alot more complicated as far as chords so I want something that'll make the tones in the chord audible. I don't use really aything in the upper register in my songs. I still want it to retain my clean tone because I don't like Dirty, twangy tones that I get from pickups that are too hot ( EMG). I like my guitar to sound almost like the bass does in Tool but I haven't been able to do that with amp. As far as gear I have a V3, I love effects and I'm still searching for a multi effect processor to buy, and I have my 007 like I said before.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
if you want to sound like a bass, maybe you should pick up bass :lol:

sorry just messing with you, i personally think the low end should be left to the bassist...

')