7 string single coils

• Thread starter shishin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. I'll shoot TheDarkWolf a PM or something, I've never played a Blaze in mahogany, so I can't tell you how close to Tool you'll get with it.

That said, I will say that while I have absolutely no idea what the pickup was, the stock pickup in my old CST (which I suspect to be the precursor of the Dimarzio New7 bridge pickup, made for Ibanez) was way more scooped than my UV's blaze, yet it absolutely killed for rhythm work in mahogany, especially run in the middle position, with the bridge and neck pickups working together in series - very Tool-esq. If you wanted to try something on the cheap, you might be able to find someone on the board with a spare New7. Again, though, I make no promises it was the same pickup, as it's been ages since I've played one, even in basswood (I swapped mine out of my old 7620 probably 4-5 years ago).

And I gotta agree with you on the Tool bass tone - "Forty-six and 2" has the greatest bass sound ever. :D I'm trying to duplicate that on a bass, but even that isn't easy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shishin

Reaction score
Ya, I'm not one for trying to replicate tone. I usually try to start from somewhere close and adapt it to my liking, but that bass tone is near perfect. I might try on of those pickups that you were talking about and see how it sounds. I'm going to see if there are any pickups that I can try at my lesson tomorrow. There all six string ut I figure it's better than nothing. Drew, do you think you could send/post those sound clips for me?

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
And I gotta agree with you on the Tool bass tone - "Forty-six and 2" has the greatest bass sound ever. :D I'm trying to duplicate that on a bass, but even that isn't easy.
The key to that tone (beyone being Justin Chancellor :wallbash: ) seems to be those Wal basses, and the Mesa amps. And also, using a little more gain and high-end than you'd expect to.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
shishin said:
I can't find ANY single coil seven string pickups so I need alot of help.
there aren't many options, but here are a few.

i have the Rio Grande Muy Grande singles in my 540S7. the Muy Grande is a hot model single coil [hotter than their Tall Boy], and they have that pushed SRV overwound single coil sound. i think they sound great, especially in that mahogany. they sound _way_ better than the stock Blaze singles. those were lifeless and flat, while the Rio Grandes are thick and edgy.

i have one Tom Anderson 7-string single coil--i don't know the model, but it has black and purple wires, and really large diameter pole pieces like the Muy Grandes. it has a very clear, bright tone, but i've only ever heard it in an unfinished alder body that i built, wired direct to the output jack with no knobs.

those are probably your two best options. Duncan will custom build a 7-string version of any of their single coils, but they were $125 each the last time i checked.

i also have a custom-wound DiMarzio single that's much brighter and more sparkly than the Blaze singles. it works great in the middle position of my LACS RG7.

shishin

Reaction score
125 is a bit steep for my budget. I'll check out those pickups you suggested. I have a lesson in an hour or so so I'll sho up early and see if I can test any of them out.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok, a few clips of the Blaze bridge:

Eulogy, more or less:
[MEDIA]http://www.drewpeterson.org/Blaze/blaze riff.mp3[/MEDIA]

Some sloppy-ass lead noodling:
[MEDIA]http://www.drewpeterson.org/Blaze/blaze lead.mp3[/MEDIA]

And Forty-Six and 2 on guitar, kinda:
[MEDIA]http://www.drewpeterson.org/Blaze/blaze clean.mp3[/MEDIA]

These are all pretty sloppy - my apologies, I'm a hack. ;)

The riffing was my Nomad's Modern mode, gain and presence at 11 o'clock, treble at 12, mids at 2, and bass maybe 10:30. Lead wankage was the same settings, just at the Vintage mode. The Clean channel was gain at 12:3o, presence at 3, treble at 2, mids and bass at 10 o'clock. For the clean and the lead, there's a light delay from a Line6 DL4 in the background.

I just sorta randomly stuck an Audix i5 out front pointed towards the center of the coil of one speaker about 2-3" back and started riffing away, and it actually had a very appropriate nice sludginess to the low endfor the AEnima sound, so I just left it there and went to work.

The mids aren't particularly boosted for the distorted parts, and are actually scooped on the clean, and this is in basswood. Through mahogany, with an amp with any natural amount of midrange (what do you play, by the way), the Blaze should be more than adequate.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, and since we got onto this discussion because of singlecoils, while I din't think he's currently selling them and thus this may or may not help, here's a clip of me doing some loose blues shuffle stuff a la Jimi channeling John Lee Hooker:

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/Blaze/single.mp3[/media]

shishin

Reaction score
Thanks for the clips Drew. I play through a Carvin V3. By the way, has anyone tried a carvin 7 string single coil? I'm curious because they are fairly cheap. I think I may go witht the Blaze for my bridge. I tried to put a resistor in the path for the single coil but it didn't work. It cut out the signal for both and I couldn't find where they split. So, I'm going for the higher output bridge to try and counter balance it. I liked your clean too but I like a bit more bass.

')