7 String Telecaster (s)

• Thread starter teleofseven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
i don't like that headstock.

this is how mine WILL look like:
6179209082_a996f52132_b.jpg

i may add some extra length to the end of the headstock, because the tuner is so close to the end.

Dude.... yes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think adding some extra length to the headstock is a good idea, looks kinda weird and nonuniform. Classy logo though. :lol:

teleofseven

spontaneus orgasmer
Reaction score
it's tuesday, and like everyone knows (nobody?) tuesday is updateday...thingy.

6189745814_75efaf01e4_z.jpg

thus starts the epic journey of tuesday.

6189748434_dbf0178004_z.jpg

body plank being planed from the other side, it will then be fed to another planer that sorta sandwiches the plank between a plate, 2 rollers and a blade. result: a perfectly planed and evenly thick plank of mahogany. the same was previously also done to the neck plank.

6189750578_7dcb1cf95b_z.jpg

purrrrrfect.

6189233655_779fea4e32_z.jpg

i got this plank cheaper and this is the reason why. this crack will not be a problem at all, because the whole backside of the guitar will be painted over.

6189755704_cccd888977_z.jpg

planing planing planing... but not complaning k LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOl!!11teh

6189239205_9bdd1f53f2_z.jpg

14 degree angle.

6189241373_504bcef6e9_z.jpg

i think everyone will agree with me when i say that THIS is the correct way to do it. but can you believe it!?: my teacher (a real luthier) said that it's not the correct way! i even told him about that ruokangas video where it was demonstrated that this way is the right way! i mean the fucking headstock snapped right where it was glued, on the wrongly made neck! vintage/old school farts...

6189245157_aa0d8ce248_z.jpg

glue it! note: that's just a pencil line that my teacher drew.

and finally:
6189770734_2f8c0db25c_z.jpg

a book mached maple top... which warped immediately after splitting it :D

soo that does it for this update. i might do something before next tuesday, and i'll be sure to post all that stuff here.

teleofseven

spontaneus orgasmer
Reaction score
i just ordered all the parts, but not the pickups yet (yes i'm trying to get them both purchased at once)

even when going with cheap parts, they still set me back about 230€. :wallbash:

they're all hosco, which i guess is the same as gotoh, but lower quality/price. tuners are a no-name-brand and cost only 25€ per 6 tuners. the dealer however refused to sell me just one extra tuner, so i had to buy ANOTHER SET OF TUNERS!?

i've had the same tuners on the first guitar i ever built, and if i remember right, they weren't all that smooth but they will work for the time, untill i can afford better ones.

so the total money spent is around 400€

but... the covered aftermaths will cost me around 300€ to 330€. :spock: i really hope they're worth the obnoxious price tag, since they cost almost as much as the rest of the guitar.

ps. i don't want to be an asshole, but it would be nice to get some replies here :wavey:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Woah, 300 Euros for a set of BKPs?! I knew they were expensive but I was expecting them to be about the same price as EMGs. Also, regarding hardware, I say it's just better to shell out the extra dough for better hardware right off the bat, especially if you are just going to get it later anyway.
Looking forward to progress.

teleofseven

spontaneus orgasmer
Reaction score
regarding hardware, I say it's just better to shell out the extra dough for better hardware right off the bat, especially if you are just going to get it later anyway.

nope, don't have the money right now to buy better parts, and i have to get this guitar done quickly. besides, all the parts i ordered are pretty much the same i have on every other guitar that i've made (all my guitars) but not the tuners. honestly, so long as the part isn't a moving part, a cheap part will be just as good as an expensive one.

take the bridge for example.
HK-N7BS.jpg

there's nothing wrong with a bridge like this. it just isn't gotoh.

all i would/will change is the tuners, the jack, the pot and the pickup selector.

i love simplicity. BUT i wouldn't mind having a hipshop bridge ect.

normaly i would buy hardware with more price, but they are shaped the same, they're made of the same material and they look the same as the cheaper ones. apart from electronics or, as i said, moving parts. their quality can be immediately measured by their price. pots, machine heads, jacks. all that stuff has to be a little more expensive, for them to be good.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
They generally don't balance on the strap as well as double-cut guitars with offset horns do.

But don't discount the single-cut's mass appeal. The Les Paul, after all, is a single-cut guitar.

Guitars are pretty little, light-weight things (compared to bass), so it doesn't matter as much, so there are lots out there. I believe that's why you don't see nearly as many LP or telecaster (or boutique SC) basses out there.

And let's face it...7-string guitars are still on the fringes. They have widespread acceptance in metal, and a lot of jazz players like them, but in more mainstream rock and pop, they are nearly nonexistent.

teleofseven

spontaneus orgasmer
Reaction score
tuesday.

camera ran out of battery, but i got some pictures.

some parts arrived from the mail.
6211353061_1d3a78c1ce_z.jpg

this was a pleasant surprise
6211354889_cbf97c660a_z.jpg

dat center line
6211356079_9187a86b17_z.jpg

this guy is your best friend when making a center line.
6211357485_41153ae05b_z.jpg

and it's as straight as a straight man.
6211873388_4fc201843a_z.jpg

gluing the two halves of the maple top wood stuff thingy. this was later planed and i'll glue it on the body today... maybe.
6211871800_01a65c3539_z.jpg

lines drawn, getting ready for cutting.
6211362113_b7167385f8_z.jpg

sawed.
6211879758_f1f40ddd4e_z.jpg

and there i ran out of battery. but what i got done:

-headstock is sanded and waiting to be drilled.
-thinned the mahogany plank a little more, it's 41mm thick now
-planed the top plank, 6mm thick.
-made a routing guide for a router. it'll be used in making the neck straight.

i've come to a point where i can make stuff at my home now too! so more updates are to follow THIS WEEK. kewl eh?

so, it's 21.35 here. i've been awake and working since 06.20. i'm ready to pass out, good night.:wavey:

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
i've always wondered how singlecuts never took off like doublecuts did.

i've never seen a production 7 string telecaster model from any manufacturer.

or one for metal (other than the jim root model) :shred:

Chris Garza and Schecter would like to say hi.

Schecter%20DIAMOND%20SERIES%20Chris%20Garza-7%20PT%20Silver%20Burst%202011%20Model%207-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

Great build. Hoping to see more updates. :D

teleofseven

spontaneus orgasmer
Reaction score
Chris Garza and Schecter would like to say hi.

yeah that's a signature model:agreed: it's not a production model made to be part of a productline, in my books.

it's kinda like stephen carpenters 7-t, and i think it'll only be a limited run.

looks awesome though.:shred:

')