7 String through a Class A (single channel)?

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
So Is anyone else playing their 7 (Or ERG) through a class A amp? I am running mine through a Dr Z RxES and using a T-Rex Bloody Mary for all my gain.

I like it for the most part, but the low end just isn't quite tight enough. I am going to be upgrading to a set of GT-75 speakers in my cab soon. Hoping that might help.

I play metal, blues, and rock and absolutely LOVE the clean tone from my Z. If I were to swap amps which ones would be worth looking into. $1500-$2000 price range. Absolutely must have a good clean channel. I am particularly fond of Soldano style sounds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Speakers won't tighten your lows, that's coming from the power stage being a very hot class A Triode operation which tends to make even very low levels of low end very sticky and loose.

I have tried 7's through a class A type amp but it's always felt like a compromise. If you want tighter low end you'd probably need another amp. Dr Z are awesome amps though dude, I bet it sounds great!

In that price range I'd try for a used ENGL Invader or Morse head or a Mesa Mark IV or V.

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
Speakers won't tighten your lows, that's coming from the power stage being a very hot class A Triode operation which tends to make even very low levels of low end very sticky and loose.

I have tried 7's through a class A type amp but it's always felt like a compromise. If you want tighter low end you'd probably need another amp. Dr Z are awesome amps though dude, I bet it sounds great!

In that price range I'd try for a used ENGL Invader or Morse head or a Mesa Mark IV or V.

An ENGL wouldn't work since he's partial to Soldano type tones.
Try a Mark V and a 5153. The 5153s clean channel is unbelievably good.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I did think of that, but I'd still give one a go. It's Soldano gain levels (and probably more lol) but have very nice clean channels which he says he likes.

The more obvious choice would be an SLO100...

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Cheap amp but my Laney LC30 mk II sounds great with my 8. [/rhyme] 2 channel but it's plenty responsive so it'd be fine even if it was single channel.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
~$2000 puts you right in used Decatone territory. If you want Soldano tones, but with a better clean channel it's a great option.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
I was gonna say Fortin Bones, but thats over your budget :L

So probably go for a EVH 5150 III ?

troyguitar

Reaction score
If you like Soldanos then get one. Other than that, the Mark V has an incredible clean channel and can get a similarly good high gain tone. I rock my 7 through a 100-watt Mark IIC+ and both channels sound fabulous but the shared EQ is somewhat limiting.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
A trade has come up for a Mesa Roadster. Anyone played one? What do you think of the clean channel?

Latest posts

')